Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to fitness and could do with some advice pls

Charleenb

Hello,
Im completely new to working out, I joined the local gym yesterday and really enjoyed it. Ive never been in a gym before yesterday but I feel motivated and really want to lose weight and build a bit of muscle.
I am 37yrs old, 5ft 3 and weigh 200lbs (ugh).
The gym instructor has advised me to do 10 mins of treadmill, 10 mins of rowing machine and 10 mins of bike, then over to the weights where there is 8-16 reps of back, abs, legs arms machines.
it took me around 45 mins to do it all, didnt like the bike.
My main concern is the weight loss. Can someone pls point me in the right direction here. Do I eat before I go to the gym?
How many times should I go per week, I thought 3?
Has anyone been in my situation and succeeded in losing the weight and getting toned up?
Should I eat smaller meals through the days and what should I be eating? All this certain % of protein and carbs and all that talk confuses me, Help!!

I'll let the ladies come answer this, but I just wanted to say that you deciding to make a change and create a healthier lifestyle is fantastic!

I will tell you that no matter what your goals are, diet is key.

But once again, I will let the ladies come give you more specifics on diet and training, good luck!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Hi welcome to the forum! im not the best person to give advice as i only came on for advice myself however there are loads great people on here that will be able to push you in the right direction .
Best of luck

Donna

Hey gurl we are all glad to have you here with us on EF.
As my good bro foamy said its all about diet. However working out also is extremely important.
There are many good sistas on here that will chime in and help you out.
Ask all the questions you want and be a part of this community.
Good luck and you go gurl!

Hello,
Im completely new to working out, I joined the local gym yesterday and really enjoyed it. Ive never been in a gym before yesterday but I feel motivated and really want to lose weight and build a bit of muscle.
I am 37yrs old, 5ft 3 and weigh 200lbs (ugh).
The gym instructor has advised me to do 10 mins of treadmill, 10 mins of rowing machine and 10 mins of bike, then over to the weights where there is 8-16 reps of back, abs, legs arms machines.
it took me around 45 mins to do it all, didnt like the bike.
My main concern is the weight loss. Can someone pls point me in the right direction here. Do I eat before I go to the gym?
How many times should I go per week, I thought 3?
Has anyone been in my situation and succeeded in losing the weight and getting toned up?
Should I eat smaller meals through the days and what should I be eating? All this certain % of protein and carbs and all that talk confuses me, Help!!
Hi, glad you joined the gym and liked it.
I can only tell you what works for me, so I'll just rattle off a few ideas.
Number one to set a goal for yourself that is realistic and specific. It could be how much weight you want to lose, what body fat percentage you want to be at, if you want to complete a 10 K running race, enter a figure competition- whatever.
Next I would find some role models, whether it be athletes or somebody else you admire. Dara Torres springs to mind, or Gabrielle Reese, or any woman who is in kick ass shape and works really hard.
Imagine yourself being as determined, singleminded and passionate as your role model.
It takes more than a day or a single session to transform your body, but it only takes that single day to become a new person on the inside. Get in the game, and that is the ONLY thing that matters from here on in.
I put up a schedule on my fridge with planned workouts/exercise/rest days for the next four months or so, but that is only because I get a lot of satisfaction from X-ing out the days.
Beyond that general concept i can't tell you how many meals you should eat, or what ratio of proteins to carbs you should eat. i mean I know what works for me but I think there is a real danger of complicating things too much when you are in the beginning stages.
I would simply cut out (or drastically reduce) bread, potatoes, white rice, desserts, sweet or salty snacks, processed foods, pop, juice, most fruit, and sugary/fatty/creamy dressings.
So what do you eat?
eggs, oatmeal (unsweetened), berries, chicken, unbattered fish, lean beef in moderation, sweet potato, brown rice (in moderation), salads with vinegar or lemon juice and 1 tsp of olive oil, dark green vegetables like broccoli and spinach, nuts and seeds in moderation, and one cheat meal a week. yes, you can eat anything you want at that one meal.
Oh, if you don't like the bike, don't do it. 30 minutes is a good start for cardio though.
Make sure you do not reward yourself with food for exercising.
Good luck :)

From my start to finish, I lost 140 lbs and it took me about 3 years to do it, so it can be done.

My best advice would be to start small, be patient and celebrate each tiny success!! I always got in trouble when I tried to change everything at once. I'd keep it together for a few days but it quickly would become overwhelming and fall apart.

In terms of diet, start by writing literally everything down that you intake. Even if it's bad, write it down. It's always very eye opening to see how much or how little we might be eating and it gives you a place to start, in terms of making changes. The first week, it might be something as simple as cutting down on pop or no junk food etc. If you can make the bigger diet changes, go for it, but don't be afraid to take it slower as well. Regardless, keeping a food log will keep you honest and show you where you can improve. We can help you there too! Sites like fitday.com will give you your calorie counts but honestly, to start, just keeping track is a good first step.

I'd use the same approach for exercise. Find something you like and start off in moderation. Remember that rest is so important too. Keep track of what you do and build on it.

I really found that changing your lifestyle is an evolution. Read everything you can and learn and continue to learn as you go. Pay attention to your body and you will learn what works for you and what doesn't. And remember that it's a journey, a marathon...not a sprint. Enjoy the process and be kind to yourself along the way. It's definitely worth it!! :)

Thanks caligirl, I know what my problem has been, eating the wrong foods and lack of exercise. I think I will go down the low carb road, as that seems to suit me best. Well done on your weight loss!!

Top Bottom