Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Strongmen & Powerlifters...help!!

StillGreg

Strongmen & Powerlifters...help!!
I have a nagging rotator problem and am looking for a way to stabilize my shoulder for log pressing. It is not torn, just "ratty" according to the doc. My delt power is solid. Stabilization and pain are the issue. I am getting it pumped full of cortizone this afternoon. The question is this: Has anyone ever found a shoulder support that really works and allows for unhindered overhead pressing? Follow-up...would a bench shirt work? I've never worn one and picture that it would be too restrictive in the overhead range of motion. Help please.

I have a rotator problem in my right shoulder, so I can relate to your delimma. I don't think that a bench shirt is going to do you any good if you are talking about an overhead log lift like I have seen on ESPN's WSM contests. I don't believe you could get your hands over your head with a shirt.

One thing that I have found effective for dealing with the shoulder problem is to do rotator rehab twice per week. I use a 10 lb dumbell and do 15 reps of a move called "pull the gun and hitchhike" you take the bell in your right hand, and start the movement at your left hip, then without moving your elbow away from your body you raise your hand past your right pec in an arc until the bell passes your right shoulder, at the end of this movement you should feel some tension on the shoulder joint in the backside of the joint.

Repeat 15 times then go to the left hand. After doing 15 reps with each hand, I take the same 10 lb dumbell and do inverted hand front raises. To do this hold the bell at your side, then raise it to the front, turning your hand over so that the thumb side is down to the ground, and the pinkie side is in the air. Do this 15 times then switch and do your left.

I do 2 sets of each exercise with each hand. It is not a miracle cure, but it keeps my shoulder functional.

Good luck.

B.

My left shoulder is pretty fucked up. But i agree with Brian rehab work twice a week. And i actually do the same exact movements for mine. It takes more time to get ready to lift but at this point i have no choice. A bench shirt would not help in fact the problem your experincing is probably from over head pressing. I ice mine and use Vioxe. That is about all you can do.

A buddy of mine, who is ranked no. 4 in strongman in South Africa has got a similar rotator problem to yours. His injury has become chronic and is so bad that he was forced to stop doing log lifts and forward holds entirely. He is extremely strong on most of the other strongman events though, and this makes up to a large extent for his inability to do those two events.

I guess my point is that, because strongman events are so much more varied than powerlifting (heck, there's probably 30 events in total), you can get away with an inability to do one or two events due to an injury and still do well, provided that your other events are above average. I mean, if you "lose" your tricep in powerlifting, you're basically not ever going to total big, but in strongman there are still plenty things that you can do well at.

BTW there's no way that a bench shirt will work, as pointed out by Brian and Jay.

I've had the opportunity to discuss log lift training with Gerrit Badenhorst, South Africa's all-time best strongman and powerlifter. His advice to me on the log lift is to get the log above your head as fast as possible and to lock out using more of a press behind neck than a millitary press. It might be worth your while to give this a try, as it might put less stress on your shoulder. Also, the rehabilitation advice sounds good to me.

Top Bottom