Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should I be using a Lifting belt?

tommboy

I stopped using a lifting belt a while back because I was really into MMA and wanted to be able to lift heavy weight without any things to help me. But now I'm more into building big muscles again. Would it be a lot safer for me to be using a belt in the long run? Say in 20 years from now I don't want to have a horrible back from not using a belt, or injure it anytime soon.

I went 4 years without using a lifting belt, but recently starting having lower back pains from the lifting I was doing. Then I bought a new belt from Inzer and started using it a couple of weeks ago and it has helped my lower back greatly. I think if your going to be lifting in the 8-10 rep range or even below that range, then you should probably get a lifting belt. Inzer Advance Designs has a tapered lifting belt, which is what I use and I love it.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVER_BB_TAPER_BUCKLE

tommboy said:
I stopped using a lifting belt a while back because I was really into MMA and wanted to be able to lift heavy weight without any things to help me. But now I'm more into building big muscles again. Would it be a lot safer for me to be using a belt in the long run? Say in 20 years from now I don't want to have a horrible back from not using a belt, or injure it anytime soon.

Imo forget the belt for most of the time in the gym. I wore one for years for most exercises and as a result I failed to build a strong core. I don't use it any more unless I am planning on going super heavy on something like squats or deads or bent over rows. I really think you need to build the core and hold your abs tight while lifting. When people wear belts they tend to push against the belt with there body instead of holding tight. So unless you are gonna go supper heavy or power lift I say leave it at home..

I wear a belt for anything, if you fuck your back your fucked for anything else, the back is too important to ignore. I live with a belt at the gym, why risk it?

Ive been lifting for over 20 years now and have always used a belt. I have a strong core too, so using one hasnt affected me. I also believe in using knee and ankle wraps too.

A belt has numerous benefits
it helps to create intrathoracic pressure to stabilize the lower vertebre
it keeps the lower back warm
it provides proprioceptive feedback to keep a nuetral spine on your lifts.

the core will still work and the muscles of the trunk will not atrphy because of belt use. If anything it will promote better core control and stabilization for bodybuilding and powerlifting style workouts

same goes for wrapping the knees and using power suits

tommboy said:
yea I didn't plan on using it for anything but squats and deadlifts
use a back machine more and roman chair as stated above
a belt still is a good tool but build the muscles in your back and abs.

Top Bottom