Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lifting with no belt?

riverrock

It is a good idea to leave the belt at home? I have been training hard without the belt as I try to recover from illness which ruled me out for months. I am only just back in action. Anyhow, I feel that my strength, especially my lower back feels stronger (relatively) and that I will actually become a better athlete as a result of the lay off.

But, what risks are there in not using a belt? My technique is good.

you may develop genetic mutations.

Seriously though, you don't need it for the most part. I pull mine out only for the heaviest pulling that I do if I do it, that's about it.

There are probably more risks in using (read: becoming dependent on) a belt than not using one. I agree with the above.

I only use mine for my absolute heaviest sets on deads and squats. If it is a weight that I can nail at least 6 reps with, I don't bother.

I think they can be a good thing, but as has been said don't become reliant on them for every single set long term or you could injure yourself one day when you attempt a heavy lift without one.

I don't try one rep maxs any more and I haven't used a belt in probably 10 years. I think they hurt you more than help unless your in the habit of doing one rep maxs often.

Last edited:
some use the belt and it gives them a since of saftey. I do not believe they help. But I also do not believe they are harmful. if using the belt makes you feel better use it. what ever gits u under the bar!!!

riverrock said:
But, what risks are there in not using a belt?
There's a risk of developing your core :)

If you don't use a belt in your regular training, it stands to reason you'll develop your core strength to support your back. Then on the odd occasion where you want to try a 1RM, use the belt if you find it helps.

Yes, did a few squats this morning without the belt. Again, I not anywhere near where I was pre-illness, but I felt that I pushed myself hard without the belt and I made no mistakes and felt a lot better for it.

There's always the safety bar to drop the weights onto if it gets too much anyhow, so I think I'll see how far I can go without the belt!

Top Bottom