Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How to train after Injury? Need help.

2face

Hey everyone. So i've been lifting for 4 years now with an herniated disc. I got it when i was 14 years old and did deadlifts without anyone watching my form. I felt pain in my lower back after every session but i took it lightly and thought it just muscle soreness and will go away. But then i realized i've got a slipped disc.
This January i had a shoulder subluxation in a bike accident. I went to the docs and he told me my labrum is damaged. So i avoided working out for a month and then started again. I still feel pain in my shoulder, and both of my shoulders CRACK alot.
So my question is, What exercises should i avoid? It's getting very hard for me to workout NORMALLY. I can't CHEAT Curls, I can't bent-over row, I can't deadlift, I can't military press, I can't SQUAT!
So what am i supposed to do?!
Serious answers please.

If it hurts don't do it bro would be best. If you can't build a decent workout around your injuries then perhaps lighter weights and rep sets untill the muscle feels like its going to explode. If pain gets worse then maybe it's time for a new adventure.

I also herniated a disc while playing collegiate football. I had surgery on it in February and wasn't able to do any lifting what so ever until the beginning of May. This was difficult for me because you can probably relate, it's hard to go from being very active then held up by injury. Since May I made it a point to get my strength back. Hard work and most of all patience pays off. My max previous to surgery on bench was 300 lbs. After the surgery the first time I did bench again I couldn't even get 155 lbs. I can know bench 345lbs (only supplement I take is whey protein) which is a personal record, I couldn't be happier. Why do I bring this up? Because it is possible to get past injuries when it comes to lifting. If the exercise puts you in a lot of pain then either discontinue it or find an alternative way to do it. When my back was first out I couldn't "cheat" on curls either because it hurt my back. So I went to the cable machine, put a straight bar on, moved the bar all the way to the bottom hole, and laid on the floor on my back and did curls. This way I was only using my biceps and eliminated any swaying. In Matt Brzycki's Practical Approach to Strength Training he outlines a few internal and external rotations that could be performed on the ground or with cables. Just perform these with light weight which will provide more of a "stretch" than "stress" on your shoulder and labrum. Over time your muscles will adapt and you will be able to increase weight.

My final note is to just be patient. It sucks lifting light weight when you know you can do more. This was my toughest issue, but you will get your strength back with patience and hard work. Be creative in the weight room. Use bands, TRX straps, and machines etc. to get your shoulder strength back so you could work up to other exercises. Avoid the ones that hurt. Especially dead lifts with that herniated disc.

^^^ I second what Daltona said. Basically just stay the f*ck away from everything that really bothers you. Get extremely creative and really squeeze and contract the muscles you are working. In a sense, try and make a 5 lb weight feel like 100 lbs if possible. Try and be patient...believe me, I know...injuries suck. Good luck.

Top Bottom