Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How many reps should I do with hand grips?

jdwoodruff

I bought hand grips at Wal-Mart and I was wondering how many reps I should do a day. Is it really important? How much of a benefit will it have?

You should not be repping out huge sets. If you can, get a harder gripper. If you can't close a harder gripper quite yet, get it anyway and do negatives with it. Otherwise, try doing several low rep sets and timed closed holds (holding it closed for as long as you can).

alright dude, relax on the bumping. I don't know what type of grippers you got at walmart, but you might want to look into the COC Grippers. I just purchased the trainers myself. There are several "levels" of them, and they have explicit instructions on how to use them. basically they suggest training with those just like you would a barbell for curls. I do 3 days a week, 3 sets of 10 reps.

No need for anything over 3-4 reps, really. Those have about 60 lbs. of resistance, which is shit. Buy some COC grippers. www.ironmind.com

Either that, or get a Beef Builder or Ivanko Super Gripper. Either way, unless you're going for a world class grip record, any of these products will work well enough.

Try overcrushing a gripper you can close easily. Meaning, slam it shut, then continue trying to push it closed (once you already have) and grind those handles together. You should be applying constant pressure.

Id reccomend the COC grippers as were mentioned here. Theyre very nice. I have 3 pairs of them, the trainer, number one and number two. As for reps, I like to take them to failure, as I do with most lifts. Depends on your goals really though. I just do them in my spare time outside of the gym. Playing with them I was able to close the #2 in a short period of time. I think its better to hit failure in the 20's then repping out 100. I was getting over a 100 reps with strong store bought hand grippers so I went for the heavier ones. My crushing grip got alot stronger as a result. I found that when I could hit 23 reps with one gripper, I was able to move on to the next. As was reccomended on the package. Atleast this was true with the #1 gripper. The trainer I could get over 50 times shortly after getting it.

Top Bottom