Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Full Body Workout

foofighter

29 yo 6'1 170

Diet consists of around 2500-3000 calories (quality protein, complex whole grain carbs, and healthy fats)

Goal: gain some muscle & lose some fat (men's health look)

I took the advice a couple weeks ago to do a full body (compound movements only) workout every other day and HIIT every other day (on non-training days).

So here is my routine:

Days 1,3,5:

Pullups or T-Bar Rows
Flat Bench or Incline Bench, Barbell or Dumbbell
Shoulder Press
Dips or Close Grip Bench
Squats or Leg Press
Curls (only non-compound movement exercise)

Days 2,4,6:

30 mins Running Stadiums

My question is:

When doing a Full Body workout like the one above, how many sets should i do? and what rep range should i shoot for?

i have been doing 3-4 sets of each and doing low and high reps to mix it up, but when i get down to around the 3rd exercise i find its hard to really go at it due to exhausting myself with the previous exercises. any suggestions to get the most out of my workout?

5x5! Hit up the training vault sticky. A 5x5 is the consensus best way to gain mass.

And you should decide, gain muscle or lose fat, it is extremely hard to do both at once. I suggest putting on muscle since 6'1 170 can't be that fat.

So do a 5x5 and hike up your calories to like 3600.

NJL52 said:
5x5! Hit up the training vault sticky. A 5x5 is the consensus best way to gain mass.

And you should decide, gain muscle or lose fat, it is extremely hard to do both at once. I suggest putting on muscle since 6'1 170 can't be that fat.

So do a 5x5 and hike up your calories to like 3600.

been reading on the 5x5 links you advised me on, but i am trying to figure out weight to be used.

should i use the same weight every set of the 5x5, meaning i using a weight that i will not likely go to failure except for the last set? trying to sort through all the links and articles and figure this one out.

foofighter said:
been reading on the 5x5 links you advised me on, but i am trying to figure out weight to be used.

should i use the same weight every set of the 5x5, meaning i using a weight that i will not likely go to failure except for the last set? trying to sort through all the links and articles and figure this one out.

actually i just found the part that says work up to my 5 rep max on the last set like a warm up. thanks for the info!

i got a buddy that goes to Texas A&M who runs track there he does full body work outs like you listed above but longer running sessions though. The guy is like 6'2 210, 3%bodyfat.

bmcadoo44 said:
i got a buddy that goes to Texas A&M who runs track there he does full body work outs like you listed above but longer running sessions though. The guy is like 6'2 210, 3%bodyfat.

i am thinking of cutting out the curls and doing 5x5 as suggested above and only doing 3-4 exercises at 5x5 each workout.

i would like to see your buddies routine. also, should i up the cardio a little? maybe a 2 mile run on training days and HIIT on non-training days? i am really wanting to get serious with this. maybe even mix in some plyometrics?

i am not that concerned with gaining weight as i am just being in good shape and having as much muscle as i can with low bodyfat.

foofighter said:
i am thinking of cutting out the curls and doing 5x5 as suggested above and only doing 3-4 exercises at 5x5 each workout.

i would like to see your buddies routine. also, should i up the cardio a little? maybe a 2 mile run on training days and HIIT on non-training days? i am really wanting to get serious with this. maybe even mix in some plyometrics?

i am not that concerned with gaining weight as i am just being in good shape and having as much muscle as i can with low bodyfat.

you said you read the exercise sticky but the "5x5" you're describing... isnt 5x5 at all

The Intermediate 5x5 is a very specific set of exercises with very specific progression over time

take a look here
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Last edited:
foofighter said:

lol you can't not gain weight and have alot of muscle.

Give me number goals and or look goals etc and I can help you more in detail.

"having as much muscle as i can with low bodyfat" can mean alot of things:

You could look like a abercrombie model:(Sorry for linking to this)
http://myspace-005.vo.llnwd.net/00423/50/02/423192005_l.jpg

Or you could look like Ronnie:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/muscletime8big.jpg

bmcadoo44 said:

LoL, your buddy isn't 3%, but a good story anyway.

foofighter said:

Like was stated, your last sentence doesnt make sense. And if you're serious like you said about gaining some decent muscle, then you're going to have to put on some fat right now, and cut it later. Youre only 170, so you have a lot of potential to gain muscle.. I would cut back on the cardio right now, put on some decent muscle, and worry about the cardio, diet and fatloss down the road and you'll look much better for it when you do cut and have some muscle underneath it.

Theres a quote thats been floating around here... "You can't carve a pebble."

Top Bottom