Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Best Compund Exercises? Routine?

SoCalJay

I want to do compound type stuff to maximize workouts. I know Bench, Squats, are musts, but what about other compound movements?

I was thinking an EOD split like this...

Bench
Squats
Bent Barbell Row

SLDL
Barbell Military
Lunges

I'm sure I'm missing something or screwed up somewhere. I just don't want to end up overworking a muscle group.

Any Suggestions?

Liv4ever said:
I want to do compound type stuff to maximize workouts. I know Bench, Squats, are musts, but what about other compound movements?

I was thinking an EOD split like this...

Bench
Squats
Bent Barbell Row

SLDL
Barbell Military
Lunges

I'm sure I'm missing something or screwed up somewhere. I just don't want to end up overworking a muscle group.

Any Suggestions?

IMO Star/Madcows 5x5 is the best.

I found this online...good?

The Split:

Monday - Workout A (Main Muscles Worked - Pecs, Triceps)
Tuesday - Workout B (Main Muscles Worked - Quads, Hamstrings)
Wednesday - Cardio
Thursday - Workout C (Main Muscles Worked - Delts, Traps)
Friday - Workout D (Main Muscle Worked - Lats, Lower Back)
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

Monday - Workout A (Main Muscles Worked - Pecs, Triceps):

Main Body Part Exercise Sets Reps Rest
Pecs Incline Barbell Bench Press 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Pecs Flat Barbell Bench Press 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Pecs Dip 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Pecs Barbell Pullover 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec

Tuesday - Workout B (Main Muscles Worked - Quads, Hamstrings):

Quads Barbell Squats 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Quads Front Barbell Squat 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Quads Sumo Deadlift 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Hamstrings Barbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec

Wednesday - Cardio:

Run or jump rope for 30 to 60 minutes.

Thursday - Workout C (Main Muscles Worked - Delts, Traps):

Delts Barbell Military Press 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Delts Barbell Upright Row 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Delts Barbell Clean and Press 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec

Friday - Workout D (Main Muscles Worked - Lats, Lower Back):

Lats Pull-up 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Lats Bent-Over Barbell Row 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec
Lower Back Barbell Deadlift 4 15, 8, 8, 6 60-90 sec

Squats are definitely musts. When they get stale add in some Front squats if you'd like. Squats are much more of a compound exercise than lunges, you should do squats every workout and add 5 pounds or so to the bar each time until you can't, then add variety like front squats.

I'm personally a Squat, push, pull every workout kind of guy. For the pushes, you could have bench, presses (or militaries), push presses... for the pulls you could have cleans, deadlifts, Glenn pendlay rows! (just like a row but you drop the weight to the floor every rep), pullups...

With your split, I hate Body builder splits with a passion lol. Here's a good link to start a SERIOUS workout template: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

IMO that's where it should all start. If you've never done anything like that before DO IT and milk the gains of progress workout to workout. Don't think you're experienced enough because you've been training for 4 years and have a max bench of 225 or something lol (not to take offensively, just proving a point about some people i see in the gym that workout everytime i'm there and they are stuck at the same weight for years) Hope this is helpful info!

I wanted to add one more thing, with the Starr template, it's absolutely great. Although he only has it for the intermediates and advanced athletes. The intermediates bump weight up every week and the advanced atheletes bump it up every 8 or so weeks simply because they can't make faster gains. Workout to workout progress is the way to go until it doesn't work anymore. Make sure it doesn't work anymore lol then go to the intermediates template of weekly progress.

Top Bottom