Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

?? about dumbell weight in relation to bench weight

MnFguy49

Okay simple question. I am 6'0 170lbs, and my current 1rm for flat bench is 225. Every third chest workout, I use dumbells (a workout recommended by Arnold in a magazine I was reading), and my most recent dumbell chest workout yielded a final set of 6 reps, 95lb dumbells.
I feel like I should be stronger on flat bench barbell, if I'm putting up that weight with dumbells. Am I wrong in assuming this, and what might I be doing wrong in my bench press routine?

Oh, and I just noticed that this is my first post...although I've been an observer for a few months...so HI :wavey: to everyone

I would think that you could put up more than that for a barbell too. I am the exact same height and weight, and the exact same barbell max, but for six reps with the dumbells, I could MAYBE do 75's. I usually do 65's for about 10-12 reps... maybe you are just better with the dumbells for some reason...disproportionally strong tricepts maybe?

I think it depends on how well your stabilization muscles are developed. I can do 115's for 3 - 5 reps, but my max is only 275 - 285, and about 245 for 5.

Dumbells allow for a more varied plane as far as movement. If in lowering the dumbels, they are moving in a more " Comfortable" position you are already going to press from a greater point of strength.

Maybe it's mental. Maybe you just haven't put more than 225 on the barbell because those two 45's just look nice and neat there. I'll bet you could push more.

MnFguy49 said:
my current 1rm for flat bench is 225. and my most recent dumbell chest workout yielded a final set of 6 reps, 95lb dumbells.
You definetly have impressive dumbell poundages in relation to your barbell weight.
Standing applause for the 6 reps with 95 lb`ers @ 170 lbs. bw.

Everyone is different. I can't do shit on barbell anymore bc of shoulder problems. Back when I did both I could DB press then 110s for 10 reps and bench about 295 for 10 reps. I wish I could have done a barbell max when I pressed the 140s for 8.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. For now I'll keep with my current chest routine, and look in the near future to change it up for some variety.
Anyone wanna give me a suggestion for my next routine?
My current chest routine is:

Chest/Tri's are trained twice a week. Every third workout I use dumbells. Each chest exercise has 6 sets. Varying reps (obviously).
My last routine numbers (flat bench): 135x15, 155x10, 175x8, 180x6, 195x4,and 225x1. This is followed by the same amount of reps for both incline and decline, weight differs. Following these bench exercises is several variations of cable movements, and then Tri's. As I said, every third chest session I replace the barbell for dumbells, and the routine is the same except I do not do decline dumbells. Again, i'm 6'0 and 170lbs...this routine really gets my chest burning...any suggestions for my next routine, I wanna keep the pain going :D

Top Bottom