Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

yet another new girl in need of some HELP!

jeangenie

I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks and wanted to echo what so many others have said about how amazing the folks who post here are. I haven't found such a comprehensive and no BS forum any where else on the net.

Im pretty new to this and really need some good advice. I'm 33, F and only started training 6 months ago. I work out with a trainer 3-4 times a week and have been since May. Im starting to get some nice results. I've gone from 161 lbs (15 of which I put on during a 6 month illness last year) to 145 and am not sure of the percentages of fat vs muscle gained, but my arms, abs and legs are starting to show some definition and lean mass. My diet has steadily progressed into a more clean one, and I've been experimenting with a bunch of different supps, but need help on best ways to cycle through them. Additionally, I want to simplify my supps and cut out the ones that may be redundant or dangerous.

Lets start with diet:

I usually do something like:

AM: Myoplex lo-carb shake (30 g protein)
Mid morning: Myoplex lo-card protein bar (30 g)
Lunch: sashimi (10 piece or so) + 1/2 c rice
or can dry suna + 1/4 c cottage cheese + 1/2 rice
mid afternoon: myoplex shake
late afternoon: myoplex bar
pre workout: myoplex shake
post workout: thai beef salad or steamed fish or chicken breast, steamed green beans

(usually before bedtime)

Supplements:

EAS BetaLean (Caffeine 150 mg, MaHuang/Ephedra 270 mg, L-Tyrosine 500 mg, Aloha Lipoic Acid 100 mg, Naringin100mg, Green Tea Leaf Extract 300mg) - 2 caps before lunch, 2 caps pre-workout

EAS BetaGen (creatine+HMB) 1 big scoop in water 1 hour pre- and 1 hour post- workout

MetRx gylcamet (Alpha Lipoic Acid 100 mg, Chromium 200 mcg) in water during workout

DHEA 75 mg/day (1 25 mg cap 3 x daily)

MuiltVitamin (generic)

I've also experimented with some of the "carb blockers" (TwinLab diet fuel + CarbArrest ) and can't tell if they had much effect or not. I've also tried Yohimbine but am leery of using it as I use ephedrine supps (the BetaLean)

I'm also light on the cardio side (20 minutes med intensity 3-4 times a week) + plan to increase this to drop off the remaining fat layer over my abs, hips and back (about 1 inch love handles on hips and lower back)

So, this regime has been informed hapahazardly by friends etc., and I really need some help to figure out what makes sense for me. My abs are starting to cut out nicely, and I have been careful about keeping up a high protein diet throughout, and eating enough, so now that the fat is coming off, the muscles are developed nicel underneath.

I took a week off after reaching my first round of weight loss goal, and am now going to try to drop the final layer of fat and increase muscle size in my shoulders, back and glutes. I'd like to try to plan out an intensive 8 week program with a weight loss goal of about 10 lbs fat (whats the best way to measure body composition?) and noticable size gains/cuts...is this realistic?

My trainer is great in helping me through the weight training cycles, and I LOVE the results. I need help on the nutrition side though. I feel like I can do a lot naturally before even thinking about AS, and i've come this far on my own. But now I'm psyched and ready to really bring it on this next round. So my questions to you all are:

1) Recommendations for diet and supps cycling in line with my goals: am i eating enough carbs?

2) How soon to expect results

3) Cardio recommendations (should I increase it or increase weight training intensity?)

Also, Is it to early to think about things like topical yohimbine/cutting cream to speed results?

Any help is appreciated, you guys are amazing.

Thanks!

:angel:

WOW.... great job on providing us so much information... we usually have to probe and probe to get that much out of some new gals!!! :)

basically i'll reiterate.. eat more real foods... (and yes, you can eat carbs)... clean unprocessed foods will do wonders for you... (don't work for myloplex (eas?) by any chance do ya??? :) )

lean proteins such as chicken breats, lean red meat, fish, eggwhites, etc

carbs such as veggies, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, some fruits (early in the morning they're great), small portions whole wheat pasta and brown rice ect.

fats (YES fats!), flax seed oil or a good EFA (essential fatty acid) blend.. natural peanut butter etc

as for the cardio... down this page (or maybe on the next) you'll see warlobo's 30+30 thread... great info there.. read it and motivate yourself!

as for other supplements... i find the staples are a good whey powder, creatine and glutamine (good for recovery)... sounds like you got the first 2 covered...

but all and all it sounds like you've made GREAT progress in 6 months... you'll continue to see results as long as you keep working hard

keep lifting hard, get some more cardio in and start eating some more clean foods, read, learn and keep us posted on the results... i'm sure you'll see more and more postitive changes...

oh, and welcome to the boards!!

:wavey:

body fat

Theres one of those body composition scale-type deals at my gym. I'll get on it tonight for a ballpark. I think its still pretty high, my guess is in the 25-27 per cent range. My trainer's been trying to get me to one of those bod pods as they are supposedly more accurate. they also measure lung capacity too. How accurate are calipers?

Thanks for the quick responses. As far as the "more real food" thing goes...amen! I've been doing the shakes more out of band-aid convenience (and jacking my protein intake) while learning how to eat clean. Any thoughts on supps? Also, WarLobo, I read one of your posts a while back on 3 easy TwinLab supps to take care of all the daily vitamin/mineral counts (I think it was you)...I couldnt find it again on the board...any suggestions...?

Welcome!!!:D well..i think u have a good list of supps. the only one u should really "cycle" would be the betalean. any type of ECA should not be used all the time. ur body just gets used to it after a while and it doesnt work anymore. i would take it on ur cardio days...first thing in the AM (do ur cardio on an empty stomach --A.M) after taking an ECA for about 6-8 weeks or so i would lay off it for a good 4 weeks or so...maybe even longer than u can start again. i too am a protein shake junkie:rolleyes: . i cant eat all that food or have the time to prepare all my meals so i chug the shakes. i have about 2-3 a day. Phem said it... get those EFA's into ur diet pronto!!! the liquid form... u can throw a tablespoon into ur shake or use it in salad dressing or something...either way just make sure u take it everyday. well good luck!!

It's all been said so just a hi :wavey:...and a warm welcome.

It looks like someone has done her homework! Glad to hear you're liking the weights & seeing good results so far.
Determination & patience- good luck to you :)

Flex

wow thanks

Your help and welcome is really appreciated guys. Im taking the proverbial leap of faith right now and ignoring the scale for a few weeks while I go into turning up the intensity on both cardio and weight workouts and boosting up the carbs to accomodate the extra work. Will get a BF reading tomorrow Am and post it here to get some more advise from y'all. :angel:

Re: wow thanks

jeangenie said:
Your help and welcome is really appreciated guys. Im taking the proverbial leap of faith right now and ignoring the scale for a few weeks while I go into turning up the intensity on both cardio and weight workouts and boosting up the carbs to accomodate the extra work. Will get a BF reading tomorrow Am and post it here to get some more advise from y'all. :angel:

hehe, i think you knew whatcha had to do all along, just needed a little shove in the right direction...

:rolly: :rolly:

good luck!!!!

progress

Well I finally got my BF%: Im at 21, which is way down from when i started my routine again hard post-illness this year. Holding down 60 minute cardio sessions now too, which is hard as hell, but the effects are already noticable. Im really becoming a 'true believer' in ALA too. Ive been mixing Glycemet in my water bottle during sessions and feeling a 'cleaner' burn during heavy weight sessions. I cant tell you how much the information that the women on this board share helps: smart, funny, no-bs and supportive. Groovy...:fro:

WELCOME!! I got here kinda late! The most important key is your DIET! Its like 90% of your training...the more real clean food u eat the better off u will be. Also make sure u are drinking tons of water...1 1.5 gallons a day...this will also help u. Im not a fan of the carb blocker....bunch of BS! Stick to the basics..and be consistent in your diet, training, and cardio and u will progress. Cardio in the AM is great if u can do it. Lift heavy, lift hard and keep reading the boards...u will make great gains!!!:D

Top Bottom