Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Today's 5 x 5 workout and some fun facts

OK that's what I was thinking - clean pull low instead of BB row on M/F.

I'll keep the Wed deads and pullups.

Jim Ouini said:
[snip]
I think I read you were considering a 4 day split to save energy for deads/heavy Fri squat - is that what you decided on?
[snip]
Well, I'm not sure whether I will split this week into four. I don't know why but I'm not feeling that I'm suffering much yet with loading. It could be the subs I've made but I've added quite a bit of volume with ancillaries since each session I've felt that I've had energy left over. I've been trying out the various row-like machines and also doing quite a bit of core work and doing triceps on Mondays. Maybe I've finally gotten a bit fitter. :)

I'll reserve any decisions until after Wednesday's deads but the rack pulls and power shrugs on Friday didn't seem to have taken anything out of me by the weekend. I'm feeling good to go.

EDIT: Next day after week3/day1, I crashed for over eleven hours sleep last night. So much for feeling good to go. :)

Last edited:
OK after all this talk I actually made it to the gym :p

Wk 1 Day 1

ATF squats
Warmup to 205 x 5 x 5

My goodness going back to 5 x 5 is like cardio ;) I was seriously breathing hard after my third set.

Anyway getting hams to calves is kind of funny...it's not heavy (at least here at 205), but it's hard. I think I realize that my form probably broke down Wk 8-9.

Something to work on.

Bench
Warmup to 205 x 5

Pretty easy.

Clean Pull Low
Warmup to 225 x 5

Was only going to go to 185 since it was my first time but it was pretty easy so I went up.

I love these, I can pull these fast from the floor and once I got it at mid-thigh I did the jump onto my tippy toes and shrugged my shoulders to my ears as best I could.

Plus these are just FUN to do. The only thing I'm wondering is that I *think* I can eventually get to 315 or so...kind of close to my deadlift on Wed, although I'll pull these sumo style.

Boss101 said:
How are you ramping your weights?

Well I already established my 3/5RM's from the 1st run through. So I'll plug in those numbers into Wks 3/8, and kind of ramp to those as I go. Generally I was adding between 5-20lbs per week, depending on the exercise.

For the clean pull I just guesstimated what my max would be, something lower than my dead and I'll probably just play it by ear.

Wk 1 Day 2
BW after workout = 193

Damn I forgot how hard these Wednesday's are in the volume phase. Plus it was pretty warm today so that added to the misery :)

Box squats
Warmup to 185 x 5 x 5

Box is slightly below parallel. I like them even though I was getting tired around 4th set, and 5 reps really seems like a lot on these.

Note #1: what's up with people doing the 'chicken wing' laterial raises right next to the squat rack?

Dead (sumo)
Warmup to 275 x 5 x 5

Last cycle I started at 225, but since I finished at 315 5RM last time I thought I'd start higher. Felt good but this is where the heat started getting to me.

Note #2: is there any reason whatsoever to wear those wrap around sunglasses in the gym while working out? Maybe this guy just had lasiks or something but in combination with the slicked back hair and lifting belt while doing dumbell curls it made me suspicious.

Push Press
Warmup to 95 x 5 x 5

Easy, I could've done strict military these but I wanted to be consistent with my form thorughout the program.

Pullups
10 x 5 x 5

Should've been easy but the last reps on sets 4-5 were hard. Only got to my nose or so.

Note #3: Two guys were doing lat pulldowns with almost the whole stack and one guy would have to help yank the bar down while the other guy was doing his 3" ROM (including body rock) sets. And then at the end it would fling the guy up out of his seat.

Note #4: I need to stop looking around and concentrate on myself ;)

#1 They're hoping that some of your efforts will make them stronger through osmosis.
#2 Clearly an FBI agent.
#3 Are you sure they weren't British? We specialize in team gym events.
#4 It's your George Formby period. The girls will come.

I sometimes think that the volume phase was designed just to punish us and Wednesday is the worst of that penance. It helps to think more in terms of wheat and chaff.

Not knowing who George Formby is I did the obligatory Google search:

With his combination of gormless charm and cheeky songs George Formby kept the nation cheery through the depression and the war years. His invincible innocence helped him get away with murder: "With My Little Ukulele in My Hand", "Little Stick of Blackpool Rock", "When I'm Cleaning Windows" are just some of the songs that raised the art of the double entendre to new heights.

ROFL.

Anyway, one young guy did ask me what I was doing, saying it looked 'pretty intense'

Wk 1 Day 3
BW after workout = 192

ATF squats
Warmup to 225 x 5

My friend showed up and watched my form. It helped.

Bench
Warmup to 185 x 5 x 5

Pretty easy, didn't rest much inbetween sets either.

Clean Pull Low
Warmup to 205 x 5 x 5

I did the first 3 sets off a reebok stepper...uhm, just because it looked interesting, and since I was pulling for speed thought I'd give it a try. Regardless, it definitely made the last 2 sets easier.

I think I take it back that my clean pull may end up anywhere near close to my dead...I doubt I'll be able to get the explosion.

Last edited:
Wk 2 Day 1

Squat
Warmup to 225 x 5 x 5

Still working on my hams to calves form, it's coming along, I think.

Bench
Warmup to 225 x 5

Moderately easy.

Clean Pull Low
Warmup to 245 x 5

Didn't feel that great. I was pretty tired by the time I got around to these and my form broke down a few times.

Already scared of Wk 3-4 ;)

Top Bottom