Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

To Smith or Not to Smith...

I use it on the bottom to do elevated push ups so we can change our grip and actually have a reference point. Also have used for one legged squats because by that exercise my ass was kicked and didn't feel like looking like a pig on roller skates.

Sad thing is at my gym they have just as many smith machines as squat racks, gotta love corporate stinking gyms...

I've never ever been a fan of the smith machine for any purpose. It seems to cause more harm to my physique than anything because of all the damage it caused to my joints. The path in which the bar travelled just wasn't right.

BiggT said:
If you tie a harness around the Smith and drag it around the parking lot you can gain a lot of GPP.

LoL,imagine what the people watching would think if you did that :)

I used a Smith for almost two years and anyone reading this who currently uses a Smith in preference to free weights won't understand what all the hate is about. I felt no ill-effects from using the Smith. I had no knee pain, elbow pains nor noticable imbalances in any other joints. I was content to use it.

The realisation that it had been a crap thing hit me when I switched gyms and found that my legs and upper body were pitiful on exercises I had been feeling proud of. It took months to work up the muscles which had been neglected using a Smith machine and I was lucky that I hadn't been called upon to make heavy lifts outside of the gym since I'd most likely have found that my stabilizer muscles would have crumpled under the strain of heavy weight.

Bottom line: the Smith only does half a job of training your body and the neglected half turns you into an accident waiting to happen should you have cause to try to use the strengthened muscles in a free environment. This is because the neglected half is the part that the strong muscles will be relying on for anchorage, support and stability in the absence of the Smith supports. Don't waste your time on it if you value your safety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom