Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The power of words

SteveMobsterG

EF Logger
Some of you will have heard of NLP (Neuro-linguistic programming). In the gym some coaches and even training partners are better at getting you to lift than others. Even the language you use has an effect.

In simple terms there are three types we can use:
1) A positive affirmation
2) A negative affirmation and
3) An open one.

Now although even a negative sounding one like 'lift it you fkin weaking' can still work (you think 'I'll show you whose a fkin weakling!' generally speaking it's like this.

1) I can - positive
2) I can't - negative
3) I'll see what happens - open

What you should see in those who succeed is much higher ratio of 1) and 3) than 2). There are, of course other things that affect your drive and motivation but having a simple understanding of the language is itself useful.

when i used to strength train if i went into the lift thinking negative i failed 90% of the time, if i went in positive i succeeded 50%+ of the time even with very heavy lifts.

it is so true.. also mentally preparing yourself on the way to the gym and envisioning the lifts are important

Very much so. On another forum I spoke about two exercises I'm currently doing: The Power Squat Machine and the Leg Press. I've maxed out the power squat machine with 460-kilos (1000+lbs) and the leg press with 700-kilos (about 1500lbs). On the leg press last week I was 'seeing' another row of plates (so 1400-kilos) as a way of making 700-kilos 'easy'.

Top Bottom