Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The need to go to failure ...

I do a lot of stuff to failure...I use it as a way to increase my strength endurance...there may be no science behind it but if I can develop the capacity to do more in a given period of time I can train more efficiently

I like to train to failure on one set. . .the building set.

However, there are times when I don't train to failure. Training to failure for me provides a personal challenge. . when expect to only get 6 reps. . .I am able to get 9. I like to ask myself how far I am willing to go.

So because the top guys do it it's right? That's some flawed logic.

I defy anyone to show any real world top body that doesn't go to failure.

Heard of Boris Kleine? He's won German heavyweight a few times as well as recently an International Grand Prix in Norway. Dunno if that's "top world" but it's not bad.

There are some shots of him at the norway show on the HST boards: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=14;t=878;hl=boris+kleine

-casual

casualbb said:
So because the top guys do it it's right? That's some flawed logic.
-casual

No... but because everybody who looks great does it (pro or not) and most people who don't look like shit... well... logic stands that failure is important to developing optimum muscle mass for bodybuilders. (Not powerlifters)

How many years of experience do you have? You seem adamant about your point. Can you post pics of yourself demonstrating that your training method has led you to outstanding results?

Most times when I ask this question I get answered with - Well, I'm not there yet.

The guys who are THERE go to failure. This is what I've seen over the last 25 years. The guys who don't go to failure NEVER get there. Period.

Muscular failure is more an endurance thing rather than a growth trigger.
I don't train to failure - I have posted numerous before and after pics/ progress pics -

Wether I look good or not is besides the point, that's all down to genetics and diet, training won't change the shape of your muscles.

The main thing is - am I not getting bigger training the way I do?
That has to be a big fat yes :)

Everyone in my gym just about trains to failure - I seem to be making far better gains than all of them, and yet I don't train for hypertrophy - go figure.

Last edited:
CoolColJ said:
Muscular failure is more an endurance thing rather than a growth trigger.
I don't train to failure - I have posted numerous before and after pics/ progress pics -

Wether I look good or not is besides the point, that's all down to genetics and diet, training won't change the shape of your muscles.

The main thing is - am I not getting bigger training the way I do?
That has to be a big fat yes :)

Everyone in my gym just about trains to failure - I seem to be making far better gains than all of them, and yet I don't train for hypertrophy - go figure.

I'd be more curious to evaluate your definition of failure. The times I have seen people who looked good that didn't train to "failure" they didn't consider failure "failure" unless they went to "absolute failure" (i.e., forced reps and negatives after complete exhaustion.) That isn't failure... that is absolute failure. There is a huge difference. Failure is defined as MMF - momentary muscular failure. You've done your last rep. It doesn't require you to force and strain beyojnd that limit?

So since you don't go to failure... how many more reps could you do? 5? 7? 10?

Why are you quitting when you can do 10 more reps?

Why don't you raise the weight and do the same number of reps with higher weight?

Not training to failure does not make any sense to me... and I don't see the people who bodybuild who don't go to faliure getting great results - ever. I see many powerlifters get great results not going to failure - never bodybuilders.

Top Bottom