Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The need to go to failure ...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ...............

sk* said:

The intensity will be high towards the last few reps bro ...

If you do, for example, incline dumbbell bench with a weight that you can do for 12reps ... do you even feel the first rep? I know that the first few reps don't even affect me. Just pointing that out to say that there is no intensity in the first few reps in a higher rep range training ... so how is it good for bb purposes? Again, if 12 is better than 3reps ... wouldn't 100 be better than 12reps?

-sk

The first reps do affect you or you wouldn't find the last ones hard.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ...............

crew9 said:

The first reps do affect you or you wouldn't find the last ones hard.

True, I ment you don't use the same "intensity" to push the first 2reps like you use the "intensity" to push the last 2reps.

-sk

casualbb said:
Gentlemen, please.

*sk: there are two definitions of intensity

1. Intensity as a %age of 1RM. This is how the whole strength training world goes about definiting intensity. This is how strength coaches and strength athletes (eg Bulldog_10) will use the word, and generally the more valid definition.

2. The bodybuilding definition, as some vague concept relating to how difficult you perceived the workout to be. Generally the more severely the exercises were taken to failure, the more "intense" the workout. This is not taken very seriously in the strength world, where nobody trains to failure.

So make sure you specify which you mean when you say "intensity."

-casual

I've got 4 as per Science and Practice... he says

1) magnitude of resistance (like your def 1)
2)number of reps per set
3)number (or percentage) of repetitions with maximal resistance
4)workout density

----

my 2 cents on the debate is that most big athletes train somewhat near failure.

most BBers train to failure, fine.

the WSB guys dont goto failure on assistance excercises, but on maximal effort work, like in the seminar tapes, dave says notice the straining, thats what you want, the strain. Thats working at near failure and to my understanding sometimes they miss lift, but they don't fail on purpose.

among other things, training near or till failure helps with motor unit recrutment, which can facilitate hypertrophy but is not needed for hypertrophy itself.

Top Bottom