Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squatting with or without pad

I don't think there is anything manly about willingly wanting to crush capillaries in your back, though I do think the foam pad is too thick to control the weight.

I prefer the middle ground and that is wrapping a towel around the bar. It doesn't leave welt marks on back and at least for me offers more support than the bar alone.
Then again, I also like to wear gloves too so I can focus on the lifts not whether my hands might slip off the bar....guess that makes me a pussy. :rolleyes:

Nah...lift however you want...Fuck what people think.
soflaguy said:
I don't think there is anything manly about willingly wanting to crush capillaries in your back, though I do think the foam pad is too thick to control the weight.

I prefer the middle ground and that is wrapping a towel around the bar. It doesn't leave welt marks on back and at least for me offers more support than the bar alone.
Then again, I also like to wear gloves too so I can focus on the lifts not whether my hands might slip off the bar....guess that makes me a pussy. :rolleyes:

The pad definatly throws of your form to a degree, it's only foam and a lot of times does not rest evenly on your back which always leaves room for uneven or improper weight distribution. Just my 2 though.

needsize said:
the pad sits the bar too high on your traps, which shifts the centre of gravity forward, so you tilt forward at the bottom, that is if you squat deep enough to call it a squat. There is a groove at the bottom of the traps where the bar fits perfectly.
It wont make any difference on your traps, but the pad isnt nececcary, i squat 455-465lbs for reps, and dont even feel it
Exactly! The bar already sits high on my traps as I do high bar squats. It will make you lean for sure though the highr the bar. I do not let any male clients use them.

Quad

Definately does make a biomechanical difference as Needsize pointed out: shifts the center of gravity forward, makes it hard to maintain trunk angle, alters nuation & counter-nuation, disrupts bar path of motion, may induce cervical strain and excess external rotation of the shoulder.

The short version : pad f'in SUCKS

Some alternatives to the pad: build trap mass; learn correct squatting technique; wear a sweatshirt, try using a manta-ray to hold the bar or hang with the women on the smith machine & leg extension.

S

Last edited:
Do not use a pad--Pads are for bitches! An no freaking weight belts on flat bench or row machines either.

Peace Trev

supreme said:
Definately does make a biomechanical difference as Needsize pointed out: shifts the center of gravity forward, makes it hard to maintain trunk angle, alters nuation & counter-nuation, disrupts bar path of motion, may induce cervical strain and excess external rotation of the shoulder.

The short version : pad f'in SUCKS

Some alternatives to the pad: build trap mass; learn correct squatting technique; wear a sweatshirt, try using a manta-ray to hold the bar or hang with the women on the smith machine & leg extension.

S

I Agree with the underlined!!! Beautifully stated!!

personally, I have seen a lot of you bros in pics and if my back and shoulders were that big, I too could go without a pad. My back is the size of a wittle girls. I do use the manta-ray and it works for me. Call me a pussy but my back thanks me the next day for using the manta-ray.Once I get huge, I will be saying yeah, fuck the pad and the ray. :chomp:

Top Bottom