Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Splenda(Sucralose) on Keto diet? Spiking my insulin?

LOL bodacious :)

I dip pork rinds in salsa and sour cream.

And, in place of the taco shell, I make taco salads w/ them....

Gr. beef or Gr. turkey
mexi. seasoning
romaine lettuce
cheddar, salsa, sour cream, pork rinds.

2T.salsa 2carb., 2T.sour cream 1carb., lett.3carb.- 1.5 fiber=1.5 carb., cheddar .5 carb.....good lo-carb meal.

YUM

Ketosis, ketostix, etc. (kinda long)

Hey Ladies,

I'm no BB, but I HAVE been doing low-carb, ketogenic dieting as a lifestyle for most of the last 5 years now, so I know THOSE ropes. I dumped 65 pounds of fat in the first 18 months and have maintained a healthy weight since then.

A couple of notes about ketosis and ketostix that might help and/or encourage you.

DEEP Ketostix readings are not always a good thing. It does NOT mean you are burning more fat - it means that you have a higher level of ketones in your urine. This high level of ketones can also mean:

1) you aren't burning them up for fuel
2) you aren't drinking enough water to dilute them
3) you are eating too much fat (ketones are caused by burning dietary fat too).

You can be burning just as much fat with a 'trace' or 'small' reading as a deep one. All the ketostix measure is the amount of ketones that have spilled over into your urine. They do not measure HOW much fat you are burning - just THAT you are burning fat.

So, don't be discouraged by 'trace' or 'small' ketostix readings. It may just mean that you are properly hydrated or burning more ketones during your workout.

Sugar alcohols, sacharin & aspartame:

I've talked to MANY MANY low-carb dieters in the last 5 years and so far, most folks have NO problem with sugar alcohols - at least in moderation. Two carb-free chocolate bars in one night is not moderation. :)

MANY (including me) have problems with aspertame, and suffer the same insulin surges with the stuff as full blown table sugar.

No one seems to have any trouble with sacharin, and I haven't heard from ANYONE who has had trouble with sucralose (Splenda). As far as I am concerned, Splenda is proof of the existance of a self-aware godhead.

HOWEVER - it has been my experience that is is far easier to STAY in ketosis than GET into ketosis. Most of the women I've talked to say that it takes them a full 72 hours (3 days) to get into ketosis.

THIS is why I don't CKD. (I only "carb load" about once a month - TOPS).

One - I don't lift that intensely and don't need the carbs to do it.
Two - it takes so damn long to get back into ketosis - what's the freakin' point?!
Besides, setting off uncontrollable carb cravings.

Once I am IN full ketosis, it is FAR easier to stay there with an occasional "treat" than it is to try to get into ketosis with so-called carb-free "treats".

So, I REALLY recommend that you stay away from ANYTHING even remotely suspicious for the first 2-3 days, until you get a good solid reading on the sticks. Hell, I don't even touch carrots and tomatoes for the first 48 hours.

Stay away from nuts (except almonds - which are negligible carbs - almost less than cheese), carb-free bars and treats, excesses of dairy products, etc.

Once you are actually IN ketosis a day or two - you can add small amounts of these foods without dropping out of ketosis. So, if it turns out that you DO have a problem with the food, you've eaten so small an amount, and your blood glycogen levels are already so low, that you can get right back into ketosis again - usually within 12 hours.

You first need to GET into ketosis, then experiment with small amounts of 'treat' foods to see what your personal tolerance is.

It also helps to use a good ECA stack during the first couple of days, and ALA is supposed to speed up the time it takes to get into ketosis.

So, basically - just keep it clean until you are solidly into ketosis, then you can try small portions of the 'treat' foods.

ALSO - heavy cream DOES have carbs - sorry. Per serving they are negligible. However, when you cook or bake with the stuff - it adds up. I.e. 1 cup of heavy cream has 1.6 carbs. Eggs are .6 each. Cheese - depending on the type - has .5-.7 per ounce (or slice). So it DOES add up.

Pork rinds are great if you crush them up and mix with soy powder and parmesean as a 'breading' for meat. I also use them to dip into cream cheese (hi fat) and egg salad.

Fiber not only DOESN'T spike your insulin, it actually buffers the system from carb intake which keeps your insulin low. Many long term low-carbers have learned the trick of including LOTS of fiber with any carbs they eat to slow down assimilation and keep insulin from spiking. That's why it's better to eat a whole fruit than fruit juice (insulin wise) - because it comes with it's own fiber and keeps the sugar from being absorbed too quickly.

Anyway - good luck with the keto-life. Personally, I credit low-carbing with saving my life.

Fawn

:cool: Thank you. That was very informative. I shall try all of your suggestions. So do you stay constantly pumped on ECA? How do you maintain ketosis for so long? Are you still trying to lose weight or is your metabolism just so low that just a little carb intake will turn to fat?

ketosis

bodacious said:
:cool: Thank you. That was very informative. I shall try all of your suggestions. So do you stay constantly pumped on ECA? How do you maintain ketosis for so long? Are you still trying to lose weight or is your metabolism just so low that just a little carb intake will turn to fat?

Bo -

I'm not actively trying to lose weight right now. My metabolism is just fine. I'm really trying to slowly peel off a final 10 pounds, but I've been on estrogen therapy, so it's taking forever. Until that situation is cleared up. it's pretty futile, so I'm just trying to maintain my losses until then. So far, so good. I eat moderate carbs, and am doing just great. I have several high carb items throughout the week. And I skip carbs altogether for some meals to balance it out.

I'm mostly speaking from my experience from when I was actively trying to lose a lot of weight.

I don't take ECA's constantly. Just occasionally. I use the cheap ECA's with St. Johns Wort. I've found that the cheap 90 tab Metabolite at Walmart for $8.99 worked just as well for me as the $40 Xenedrine from GNC. I take 'em with St. John's Wort. Sometimes low-carb can mean low-seratonin, and it helps get through the first few days of carb withdrawl. They are a real good general picker upper.

When I originally dropped that 65 pounds I would be in ketosis for several weeks at a time. And if not in ketosis, I was so close that it would only take 8-12 hours to register pink again. I didn't have that much trouble staying in ketosis, actually. I did it long enough to know what my limitations were. I knew I could eat up to 40-50 grams carbs per day on the days I worked out and stay in ketosis. I also knew that I could maintain any losses, and take a break, on as high as 80 grams for one or two days, and then drop to 20 and go right back into ketosis in 18-24 hours.

My metabolism is fine. After I initially lost all that weight, I kept it off for several years with very little trouble. About two years ago, I had a 10-month depression that I treated with "chocolate chip sleeping pills", that I gained any of the weight off. Even then, I only gained about 24 pounds and it took the whole 10 months to do it.

Finally got a hold of myself, and took off 15 of those right quick - about 6 weeks, and it has stayed off with very little trouble.

I have 10 more to go, but have been fighting the aftereffects of some really badly advised hormone therapy. My doc put me on estridiol to take me off of depo and the side effects have taken over 5 months to get over. I have been having month-long periods every other month. ARRRGH!

So, until that gets straightened out, I'm maintaining happily. Right now, I try to average my carb level out to about 30-50 per day, depending on whether I work out or not. And even so, I'm slowly losing at about .5 lbs per week.

I can't carb binge on weekends, when I am trying to lose weight. If I were to eat more than 60 grams, it would take me forever to get back into ketosis again and I would suffer carb cravings for days. At 40 or less, I can get back in ketosis easily.

Like I said - it's a lot easier to STAY in ketosis than GET in ketosis.

Fawn

I find taking ALA (alpha lipoic acid) really helps keep me in ketosis. I can eat more carbs, etc. I even take in about 30 grams of malto after workouts w/o a problem. It really eases my mind on possibly taking in too many carbs each day. Take about 200mg 3 times a day. Or any time you're going to carb up about a half hour or so before. I take some about an hour after my post workout shake, that way I still get some of the benefits from the carbs, but lower my blood sugar rather quickly later.

Top Bottom