Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Recipe Thread!!

jenscats5 said:
Mediterranean Farro Salad

**Don't know what Farro is, but I think brown rice or couscous would be a fine substitute.....

10 ounces farro (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
8 ounces green beans, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup pitted black olives
1 medium red pepper, cut into thin strips (about 4 ounces or 1 cup)
3 ounces Parmesan, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
1 small bunch chives, snipped (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (again, to me - optional)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with the farro. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the farro is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and simmer until the farro is tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and stir. Cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the cooked green beans to a bowl of ice water and let cool for 2 minutes. Drain the green beans.

Once the farro has cooled add the green beans, olives, red pepper, Parmesan, and chives. Stir to combine. In a small bowl mix together the sherry vinegar, olive oil, mustard, pepper, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Pour the sherry vinaigrette over the farro salad. Toss to combine and serve.

Hey Jens, I was interested to learn what Farro was myself... this is what I found:
Farro: Grain of the Legions

Grano Farro has a long and glorious history: it is the original grain from which all others derive, and fed the Mediterranean and Near Eastern populations for thousands of years; somewhat more recently it was the standard ration of the Roman Legions that expanded throughout the Western World. Ground into a paste and cooked, it was also the primary ingredient in plus, the polenta eaten for centuries by the Roman poor. Important as it was, however, it was difficult to work and produced low yields. In the centuries following the fall of the Empire, higher-yielding grains were developed and farro's cultivation dwindled: By the turn of the century in Italy there were a few hundreds of acres of fields scattered over the regions of Lazio, Umbria, the Marches and Tuscany.

Farro would probably still be an extremely local specialty had the farmers of the French Haute Savoie not begun to supply it to elegant restaurants that used it in hearty vegetable soups and other dishes. Their success sparked renewed interest in farro among gastronomes, and now the grain is enjoying a resurgence in popularity in Italy as well, especially among trendy health-conscious cooks.

At this point you may be wondering exactly what farro is. According to Garzanti's Italian-English dictionary it's spelt, but Luciano Migliolli, author of Il Farro e le sue Ricette (Farro and its recipes), says that though it looks rather like spelt they're not the same. Farro must be soaked, whereas spelt can be boiled straight off. Also, cooked farro has a firm chewy texture, whereas spelt softens and becomes mushy. What this means is that you have to read the package carefully when you purchase farro (a well-stocked delicatessen or health food store should have it) to make certain you are getting Triticum dicoccum (farro's Latin name). If you cannot find farro spelt will work (link to the order page of Purity Foods), and you should be able to use barley or other whole grains as well -- the results won't be quite the same and you will have to adjust the cooking times, but the dishes will be good.

Purchasing and Preparation

Farro is divided into 3 grades. The best has grains 6-8 mm long (1/4 to 1/3 of an inch), the second has grains 3-5 mm long (1/8 to 1/4 inch, which can be inappropriately labeled farricello, the Italian for spelt), and the third consists of cracked grains broken during processing. Mr. Migliolli suggests you purchase whole grain farro and crack it at home, if the recipe calls for it, by whirling it in an electric coffee grinder or blender -- this way you avoid purchasing dust or stones. Once you have purchased it, store it like any other grain, in a sealed glass container in a cool dry place.
Before you can use it you do have to prepare it: Wash it well, picking out impurities such as bits of chaff, pebbles, or bad grains, and soak it for at least 8 hours. It will keep in this soaked state in the refrigerator for a few days. Come time to cook it, either add it to a soup or boil it by itself, for 2 hours in a normal pot or one in a pressure cooker (halve these times if you are using cracked farro). One thing that you should keep in mind is that farro will continue to absorb liquid and soften once it is done, so you should let it sit for a while if you can.
Another way to cook farro for minestrone and such is to set it to boil directly in abundant vegetable broth (for example from boiling beans, chick peas, or cabbage) for a couple of hours, then let it rest and puff up for at least 8 hours before stirring it into the soup pot. The farro will absorb lots of vegetable flavor, but you have to make certain you have sufficient vegetable broth handy for making the soups as well before you begin.

jenscats5 said:
I've gotten these at a local Thai restaurant but then saw them on TV & thought - Hey! I can make these.....

A Summer Roll is like an egg roll, but it's not fried.....

1 package Rice spring roll wrappers (they are dried)
Chopped shrimp or chicken, crab, whatever
Chopped veggies as desired (try bell peppers, dry cole slaw mix, Napa cabbage thinly sliced, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, scallions, shredded carrot)
Salt pepper wasabi, hot sauce, etc to taste
Soy sauce or Hoisin sauce for dipping

Fill a bowl with very hot tap water & place a wrapper in to soak & remove when pliable (be careful, they tear).. Lay flat on a nonstick surface & place desired ingredients on the lower 1/3 of the roll. Don't overfill. Tuck the long end over the filling, fold over the sides & roll up. The wet rice paper wrapper should allow the whole thing to stick together.

Eat cold or at room temp. Even my very picky vegetarian husband liked them! YUM!

ohhhhhh these are goooooood!!! I make them too... they are really good with cilantro and lemon basil or regular basil, mung bean sprouts and daikon radish!!! also sweet chili sauce, peanut sauce and hot dried mustard for dipping!!

jenscats5 said:
Hungry Girl's Brownie Secret

I do have a little brownie secret that I like to share. By now it feels like everyone should know about this, but apparently they don't. You simply take a box of devil's food cake mix, another chocolate cake mix or a brownie mix (find the one with the lowest fat!!!), and mix a 15-oz. can of pure pumpkin into it with nothing else -- no egg, no oil -- NOTHING. Then, bake 'em according to the box, minus about five minutes, and you'll get the thickest, FUDGIEST treats ever! I call these Yum Yum Brownies (or Yum Yum Brownie Muffins). What I like best about using pumpkin is that the brownies come out super-thick and moist, and are definitely healthier because they have less fat and more fiber. As for other brownie recommendations -- I love Vitalicious VitaBrownies (100 calories, low in fat, packed with fiber), No Pudge! Fat Free Fudge Brownie Mix (great made with pumpkin or prepared according to the box's instructions), and Luna's Caramel Nut Brownie bar (190 calories, 6g fat). All are great ways to kick a brownie craving...

ok Jens... you get an award for this one....!!!
I tried this yesterday and FUCK!!!!! I ate them all!!!! I used the Ghiridelli Dark Chocolate brownie mix... LORD!!!! they were goooood!!!!! Thanks for posting this!!!

CaliGirl said:
ok Jens... you get an award for this one....!!!
I tried this yesterday and FUCK!!!!! I ate them all!!!! I used the Ghiridelli Dark Chocolate brownie mix... LORD!!!! they were goooood!!!!! Thanks for posting this!!!

And I am thinking that if you mixed in whatever kind of nuts you like.... walnuts sound good ..... MMMMmmmmmm :chomp:

Hungry Girl's 2-Point Peanut Butter Chocolate Bread Pudding

(One serving: 127 calories, 3.5g fat, 230mg sodium, 20g carbs, 2g fiber, 10g sugars, 5g protein = 2 Points)

Warning: This stuff's so good it may make your head explode!

Ingredients:

3 slices Wonder Light White Bread; lightly toasted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

2 tbsp. NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Mini Morsels

1 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened, Vanilla or Original

2 tbsp. brown sugar; not packed

1/3 cup Egg Beaters, Original

2 tbsp. Better ’n Peanut Butter
Cool Whip Free (optional topping)*

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place toasted bread cubes in a 1-quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with chocolate morsels. Combine Almond Breeze, brown sugar, Egg Beaters, and Better 'n Peanut Butter in the blender; cover and process until smooth. Pour mixture over bread cubes (make sure all bread is covered); let stand 5 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until pudding is firm. Eat warm. Serves 4.

*Optional topping is not included in nutritional info.

Last edited:
Hungry Girl's Yum-tastic Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Parfait

(Entire recipe: 202 calories, 2.5g fat, 310mg sodium, 42g carbs, 6g fiber, 18g sugars, 4g protein = 3 Points)

Peanut buttery, choco-rific fun!

Ingredients:

1 Vitalicious Double Chocolate Dream VitaTop; room temperature

1 tsp. Better ’n Peanut Butter

1/2 cup Cool Whip Free

1/4 100 Calorie Pack, Planters Peanut Butter Cookie Crisps; crushed

Directions:

In a bowl, whip Cool Whip and Better 'n PB until well mixed (use room temp PB for easier mixing). Set aside. Warm VitaTop for ten seconds in the microwave and break up into small pieces. In a martini glass or parfait cup, layer ingredients like this: 1/2 VitaTop pieces, 1⁄2 Cool Whip mixture, 1/2 VitaTop pieces, 1⁄2 Cool Whip mixture. Cover; chill at least 1 hour. Crumble cookie crisps over parfait before serving. Serves 1.

Hungry For Peanut Butter Milkshake

(Entire shake: 142 calories, 3.75g fat, 375mg sodium, 22g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 1g sugars, 3.5g protein = 3 Points)

A frosty, chilled peanut-butter-fest!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened, Vanilla or Original

1 Sugar Free Jell-O Pudding Snack, Vanilla*

1 tbsp. Better ’n Peanut Butter

1 cup crushed ice

3 packets Splenda

Directions:

Place all ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth. Enjoy! Serves 1.

*Use a chocolate-flavored pudding cup for a Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake!

Last edited:
^^ Note: I found the above listed PB @ Trader Joe's - according to Hungry Girl, it's NOT regular PB so it may taste "off" as it's only 100 cals per 2 tblsp, which makes it better for recipes than eating alone.....

Peanut Butter Yup!

*From Hungry Girl

Today is Halloween, and chances are you'll either be sitting next to that dreaded candy bowl, or helping your kids sift thru (and possibly eat) oodles of tiny chocolate bars, lollipops and candy corn. But even itty-bitty candy bars add up to huge amounts of calories if you eat enough of 'em. So before you grab one, two -- or SIX of those "fun-size" minis, head into the kitchen and whip up a batch of our Peanut Better Cups. This year, we think you should SKIP the packaged, chocolate holiday treats altogether and opt for our better-for-you swap instead.

Ingredients:
1 8-oz. container Cool Whip Free
1/3 cup Better ‘n Peanut Butter, Regular Creamy
4 tbsp. Hershey’s Syrup, Sugar Free

Directions:

Line a 12-cupcake pan with cupcake holders, or spray pan with nonstick spray. Using a whisk, combine one cup of Cool Whip Free with Better 'n Peanut Butter. Fold in remaining Cool Whip. Pour the mixture into cupcake tin evenly (approx. 2.5 tablespoons each). Top each cup with a dollop of sugar-free chocolate syrup (about 1 tsp.). Freeze. Enjoy. Serves 12.

Serving Size: 1 cup

Calories: 56

Fat: 0.5g

Sodium: 61mg

Carbs: 10g

Fiber: 0g

Sugars: 2.5g

Protein: <1g

* 1 Point

**ALTERNATIVE – If you want to add fiber (and CRUNCH) to your cups, add a 1/2 cup of Fiber One bran cereal to the PB mix. Nutritionals for each cup would then be: 61 calories/ 0.5g fat/ 70mg sodium/ 12g carbs/ 1g fiber/ 2.5g sugars/ 1g protein (1 Point).

what is this 'better than peanut butter' stuff? where do you get it?

jenscats5 said:
HG's Yum-tastic Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Parfait

(Entire recipe: 202 calories, 2.5g fat, 310mg sodium, 42g carbs, 6g fiber, 18g sugars, 4g protein = 3 Points)

Peanut buttery, choco-rific fun!

Ingredients:

1 Vitalicious Double Chocolate Dream VitaTop; room temperature

1 tsp. Better ’n Peanut Butter

1/2 cup Cool Whip Free

1/4 100 Calorie Pack, Planters Peanut Butter Cookie Crisps; crushed

Directions:

In a bowl, whip Cool Whip and Better 'n PB until well mixed (use room temp PB for easier mixing). Set aside. Warm VitaTop for ten seconds in the microwave and break up into small pieces. In a martini glass or parfait cup, layer ingredients like this: 1/2 VitaTop pieces, 1⁄2 Cool Whip mixture, 1/2 VitaTop pieces, 1⁄2 Cool Whip mixture. Cover; chill at least 1 hour. Crumble cookie crisps over parfait before serving. Serves 1.

Hungry For Peanut Butter Milkshake

(Entire shake: 142 calories, 3.75g fat, 375mg sodium, 22g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 1g sugars, 3.5g protein = 3 Points)

A frosty, chilled peanut-butter-fest!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened, Vanilla or Original

1 Sugar Free Jell-O Pudding Snack, Vanilla*

1 tbsp. Better ’n Peanut Butter

1 cup crushed ice

3 packets Splenda

Directions:

Place all ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth. Enjoy! Serves 1.

*Use a chocolate-flavored pudding cup for a Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake!

Top Bottom