Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Recipe Thread!!

Re: HELP!!! Low calorie gingersnap recipe needed...

jenscats5 said:
So far, I haven't been able to find any flourless gingersnap recipes......

Dang!!! I have been racking my brain to think of how to make something.. I'm thnking I could use wheat bran as a flour to keep the cals down..

Re: HELP!!! Low calorie gingersnap recipe needed...

~Enuf~ said:
Dang!!! I have been racking my brain to think of how to make something.. I'm thnking I could use wheat bran as a flour to keep the cals down..

Well you could use some of that + some oatmeal, but I'm not sure you can completely eliminate the flour......If I find anything, I'll let you know!

Jen's Winter Squash Bake

1 small can pumpkin
2-3 sweet potatoes, cubed & boiled till fork tender
(can microwave too if you'd like)
1 small Butternut squash, peeled & cubed & boiled until tender

Whip all the squashes together till mashed.

Fold in: 2 egg whites, some veggie broth if needed to thin, pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, salt and white pepper.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until top is browned.

jenscats5 said:
Hungry Girl's Brownie Secret

I do have a little brownie secret that I like to share. By now it feels like everyone should know about this, but apparently they don't. You simply take a box of devil's food cake mix, another chocolate cake mix or a brownie mix (find the one with the lowest fat!!!), and mix a 15-oz. can of pure pumpkin into it with nothing else -- no egg, no oil -- NOTHING. Then, bake 'em according to the box, minus about five minutes, and you'll get the thickest, FUDGIEST treats ever! I call these Yum Yum Brownies (or Yum Yum Brownie Muffins). What I like best about using pumpkin is that the brownies come out super-thick and moist, and are definitely healthier because they have less fat and more fiber. As for other brownie recommendations -- I love Vitalicious VitaBrownies (100 calories, low in fat, packed with fiber), No Pudge! Fat Free Fudge Brownie Mix (great made with pumpkin or prepared according to the box's instructions), and Luna's Caramel Nut Brownie bar (190 calories, 6g fat). All are great ways to kick a brownie craving...

I gotta spread more karma before giving ya more. These are kick@$$!!
:heart:

Bunch O' Recipes from "Everyday Italian"

Roast Beef with Spicy Parsley Tomato Sauce

Beef Roast:
1 (2 to 2 1/2-pound) sirloin tip or chuck beef roast
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 Roma tomatoes, cut in 1/2 2 teaspoons herbs de Provence Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper Spicy Parsley Tomato Sauce:
1 1/2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 garlic cloves 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Spicy Parsley Tomato Sauce:
1 1/2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

To make the beef roast, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Season the beef with salt and pepper. Season the tomatoes with salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence.

Place a medium, heavy roasting pan or Dutch oven over high heat. Heat the olive oil. Sear the beef over high heat on all sides. Turn off heat. Place the seasoned tomatoes around the seared beef and place the pan in the oven. Roast until a meat thermometer reads 130 degrees F. for medium rare, 135 for medium, about 30 to 40 minutes. Take the roast out of the oven, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. The internal temperature of the meat should rise 5 degrees F more and the juices will redistribute into the roast.

To make the sauce, place the parsley and garlic in a food processor and pulse until the parsley is finely chopped. Add the red pepper flakes, salt, red wine vinegar and the roasted tomatoes from the beef pan and process until pureed. Add the olive oil in a steady stream with the machine running.

To serve, slice the roast and place on a serving platter. Drizzle a little sauce over the meat. Serve the remaining sauce in a small bowl alongside.

**The main thing that struck me with this recipe is the sauce....if you eliminate or significantly reduce the olive oil & use broth instead, I think it'll still taste as good but with less calories....

Neapolitan Calamari and Shrimp Salad

4 cups chicken broth
1/2 pound orzo pasta (about 1 cup)
1/2 pound calamari, whole bodies and tentacles
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise, about 1-inch wide
1 Japanese eggplant, sliced lengthwise, about 1-inch wide
2 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 ounces arugula (about 3 cups)
3/4 cups chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 lemons, juiced
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl.
Meanwhile, place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.

Drizzle the fish, zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the calamari and shrimp, just until cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes a side. Grill the zucchini and eggplant until tender, about 4 minutes a side. Grill the tomatoes just until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes.

Add the orzo, cannellini beans, arugula, basil, and parsley to the bowl. Cut the calamari bodies into 1-inch rings. Cut the zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes into roughly about 1-inch cubes. Add the vegetables and calamari to the bowl with the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Finally, add the shrimp on top of the salad. Gently spoon the salad into a serving bowl and serve.

**Do I need to mention that you should reduce the amount of the olive oil??

Asparagus and Smoked Salmon Bundles

1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed (about 20 spears)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
4 to 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon (1 slice per asparagus spear)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Lay the asparagus on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt, and pepper. Roast until cooked and starting to brown around the edges, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to another baking sheet to cool.

Once the asparagus have cooled, wrap each spear in a slice of smoked salmon. Arrange on a serving platter and serve at room temperature.

**Again, the olive oil......and watch the type of smoked salmon you get if you decide to use it as they can have sugar....

**I think we can make these healthier somehow....

Gingerbread Waffles

3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter, plus some to butter the iron
Syrup, whipped cream or fresh fruits for topping, to pass at table

Preheat waffles iron.

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until fluffy, then beat in pumpkin, milk, molasses and melted butter. Stir the wet into dry until just moist. Do not overstir the waffle batter. Brush the iron with a little melted butter and cook 4 waffles, 4 sections each. Serve with toppings of choice.

jenscats5 said:
**I think we can make these healthier somehow....But of course we can :)

Gingerbread Waffles

3 cups all-purpose flour <-- OAts, oatbran, WW flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs <-- egg substitute (egg beaters or 6 white and 1 whole egg)
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar <-- eliminate or splenda brown
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cups milk <-- FF or soy
1/2 cup molasses <-- SF maple syrup
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter, plus some to butter the iron
Syrup, whipped cream or fresh fruits for topping, to pass at table
Can always use pam butter spray or that parkay spray butter as well :p

Preheat waffles iron.

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until fluffy, then beat in pumpkin, milk, molasses and melted butter. Stir the wet into dry until just moist. Do not overstir the waffle batter. Brush the iron with a little melted butter and cook 4 waffles, 4 sections each. Serve with toppings of choice.
There we go see healthy fixes in RED :D

Top Bottom