Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

OCD, Depression and Lifting

Gman

Man my doc prescribed me Celexa back in August for terrible terrible OCD and depression which was ruining my life. Since then I have gotten quite a bit better, but I noticed I have no desire to lift and do a lot of the things I normally do. I feel content most of the time. Anyone had the same problem?

I also noticed my appetite is complete shit, I have now lost about 20 pounds since July. I am down to a weight to which I haven't been in years. I don't know what to do, I just never really feel hungry and when I do eat I completely full so fast.

I can't take protein/weight gainer shakes because many of them have tyrophan or tyrosine and their use with Celexa is contridicted.

The gift and the curse.. seriously.. i fix one problem and now I have another.. SuggestionS?

Gman

I feel content most of the time. Anyone had the same problem?

Unfortunately, this is exactly the desired result of treatment with this type of drug. An accute feeling of complacency or blunting of emotions are common "side effects" with SSRIs. As far as the weight-loss is concerned you are lucky. Many patients actually gain weight due to increased carbohydrate cravings, another common effect from these drugs.

I'm not aware of any dangers from taking a protein supplement with an SSRI, most of the neurotransmitter-boosting properties of amino-acids only take place when the individual amino-acid is taken on an empty stomach. Did your doctor mention anything about avoiding turkey? This protein is so high in tryptophan that it does have some mild calming effects. Please ask your doctor any specific dietary questions.

Unfortunately, SSRIs are standard prodcedure in the treatment for obsessive compulsive type disorders. You should express your concerns with your own personal physician, he may have you try a different SSRI. The effects and sides of the different SSRIs vary GREATLY depending on the individual.

Good luck, and please talk to your doctor

Yeah I actually took Zoloft for 4 months last year until I got discourged enough and went off it. Then I went for quite a while without, then juiced a bit, then during my cycle developed serious anxiety, OCD, and depressive-like symptoms. Went to see a psychologist, he put me on the Celexa. Since that time, I have mentioned the weight loss to him, as well as the usual sexual side effects and has kinda brushed it off.. he says I can add Wellbutrin to my Celexa if sexual sides haven't gotten any better by the next time I go to see him. I've read the Wellbutrin is a bit 'zippy' maybe it will give me more motivation. It sucks feeling like a slug and really not caring about my body's apperance.

A person who has never taken an SSRI before will probably just say 'push yourself and get your ass to the gym.' Unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way. When they say these drugs control your emotions, make you happy when your sad, they are not kidding. Really as far as the OCD and depression are concerned, I feel a whole hell of a lot better which I am thankful for. Life was hellish there for a while.

I am a naturally thin person. Weightloss to me is light weightgain to a person who is heavyset. If I can't eat right, then what is the point of working out? I'm just burning up stored fat for energy because I am not meeting my daily caloric intake. As far as the protein shakes are concerned.. As I said certain amino acids are contridicted. My OCD rules my life still. If I take something and I am uncertain as to whether or not it is going to hurt me, or potentially kill me, I obsess about it and it makes my life miserable. For a while there I couldn't even take vitamens, I thought they were going to fuck me up. Sound crazy? Yep it is and that's the hell I call life I have been living in - and am still living in to a certain degree.

Gman

If I were you I would stay away from the juice for a while. I would also look in to some natural supplements for helping depression. I know it may sound stupid but after my last cycle I was feeling depressed and had no motivation. I started taking some pills the old lady had in the kitchen cabinet with St. John's wort and some other things in it. I swear I started feeling really good. I would have never believed it, but it did. Also try to make some goals for yourself as far as life and working out and write them down. It may help to keep you motivated and on track. Start small and work your way back in to it. Your not alone we all struggle in life at one point or another. Just keep trying everyday and don't get discouraged if you fail along the way. Sounds like your already making some progress. Good Luck.

Prozac makes me "complacent." More likely, I don't get down on myself for not working out. I think the motivation before was to stop feeling like shit. But then I think the problem is you need to workout just to feel adequate. So, the SSRIs make you a more stable person. If it frustrates achievement, well, a person who strives to avoid feelings of inadequacy will never really enjoy their achievements for long. I think people need SSRIs -- AND -- (psycho)therapy. Just think -- a lot of people who become obsessed with bodybuilding do so because of image "problems". Other people just focus on other things and usually are better off because they are not preoccupied with their body (or feelings of inadequacy). I think taking SSRIs is a good first step. Then adjust and strive for balance.

Yeah blunting of emotions as you talked about are definetely apparent.. but I suppose that what makes my OCD better. When my OCD was at it's peak a few months ago, I couldn't drink water from the tap because I thought there was chemical posion in it. I was at a wedding and there was this kid there that I didn't like and I thought he slipped some kind of drug into my drink. Neadless to say these thoughts constantly caused panic attacks, and finally they have subsided. Before going to see a shrink I tried all sorts of natural vitamen theropy - 5HTP, Inositol, St. Johns Wort, tyrosine, etc, none of which worked. I had a serious problem that was becoming debelitating so SSRI was the only option for me.

Now I am at the point I am generally feeling better.. I just have got get back to building my body again. Lifting has always been a huge part of my life.. since the time I was 17. I had great progress since the time I started.. and now am taking one huge step back.. but I suppose you have to take one step back before taking another step forward, right?

I obviously won't be taking any sauce anytime soon, if ever again. I'd just like to get over my obsession about taking supplements along with my Celexa. When I pop vitamens with this shit I get nervous, I have no idea why. I'd like to be able to start taking supplements (Creatine, Glutamine, MRPS) with it, but I still fear it for some reason (Fearly of interactions)

I had a bad SSRI experience with Paxil, it sent me to the ER. Plus I've read bad things about how SSRI's can cause serotonin syndrome if mixed with certain drugs or supplements. The say knowledge is power, but in the mind of a person with OCD a little knowledge can go a LONG way.. BAD way..

Gman, maybe something better

I have shunned the SSRI's for many of the reasons cited by so many on the board. They have cause me to lose interest get tired all the time and found my appetite nonexistant. Try Anafranil. For OCD but also a powerful depression and anxiety blocker. Im on a brother compound and have a great appetite wo fatigue. One of the sides of this class of med(Tricyclic antidepressant) is weight gain. Ive juiced with this med class for 13 years and there are no interactions. Though not recommended, also I can drink with this med too and also no food unteractions. Hope this helps.

Mark

Im not trying to step on anyones toes here but I truely beleive that if you are not in control or in otherwords OCD and/or depression free you should avoid AAS like the plague. Additionally if on antidepresants are often very tough on the liver adding further support to my statement.

If you are depressed or have OCD I feel meds are a bandaid fix and often times they work pretty well, but you will never be "whole" while on them. If they are making life so you can get by I highly suggest you find a therapist or someone to help you deal with depression without meds. Animals, humans included, are creatures of habit and much of depression we suffer is because we have gotten into a particular habit of thought. You need to relearn and develop more positive mental outlook so you can lead a normal med free life. I wish you luck in your endeavor to conqure you problems, depression is no fun.

Zyglamail said:
Im not trying to step on anyones toes here but I truely beleive that if you are not in control or in otherwords OCD and/or depression free you should avoid AAS like the plague. Additionally if on antidepresants are often very tough on the liver adding further support to my statement.

If you are depressed or have OCD I feel meds are a bandaid fix and often times they work pretty well, but you will never be "whole" while on them. If they are making life so you can get by I highly suggest you find a therapist or someone to help you deal with depression without meds. Animals, humans included, are creatures of habit and much of depression we suffer is because we have gotten into a particular habit of thought. You need to relearn and develop more positive mental outlook so you can lead a normal med free life. I wish you luck in your endeavor to conqure you problems, depression is no fun.

i'm with zyg, i went through the whole depression thing. tons of meds and the only thing that made a difference was myself. i decided to change my life and get out of the rut i was in for so long

i'm with zyg

yep me too. also so as the man suggests. see a therapist. they will help you deal with depression/ocd so you wont use the meds as a lifestyle

Top Bottom