Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Low pulley mid-grip rows

machines arent bad for secondary and assistance but i would not make a routine based on machines..its easy to tell a physique that is built with machines and one that is built with freer weights

wnt2bBeast said:
machines arent bad for secondary and assistance but i would not make a routine based on machines..its easy to tell a physique that is built with machines and one that is built with freer weights

Resistance is resistance. As long as one uses good form, performs a variety of exercises, and progresses up with the poundage that is what matters. Btw, PLENTY of guys at my gym don't do deads and freeweight squats and use many machines, yet they have great physiques that will make most guys on this board look pityful.

There is nothing wrong with machines. :rolleyes:

wutangnomo said:
Resistance is resistance. As long as one uses good form, performs a variety of exercises, and progresses up with the poundage that is what matters. Btw, PLENTY of guys at my gym don't do deads and freeweight squats and use many machines, yet they have great physiques that will make most guys on this board look pityful.

There is nothing wrong with machines. :rolleyes:
B.S...I cannot judge these physiques your talking about but im sure in order to get that way they squatted..free weights recruit way more secondary muscles leading to a thicker stronger physique..there are a few guys at my gym with a decen physique but u can see they totally rely on machines..they start their back workout with either lat pulldowns or seated rows..Are these bad exercises? absolutely not and i usually include one of these after i have done my heavy deads and rows..if one doesnt want to do deads fine but i think you better be doing heavy BB rows..

wnt2bBeast said:
B.S...I cannot judge these physiques your talking about but im sure in order to get that way they squatted..free weights recruit way more secondary muscles leading to a thicker stronger physique..there are a few guys at my gym with a decen physique but u can see they totally rely on machines..they start their back workout with either lat pulldowns or seated rows..Are these bad exercises? absolutely not and i usually include one of these after i have done my heavy deads and rows..if one doesnt want to do deads fine but i think you better be doing heavy BB rows..

Resistance is resistance. The key is to continually progress UP with the weight. This is the most important factor in buliding a great physique! Don't automatically assume that anyone who is big, thick, and strong does deads and squats. You will be surprised at how many built guys don't even know what the hell those exercises are! If one performs a VARIETY of exercises to hit all muscle groups and continues increasing the poundage that is ALL that matters. Do you think that someone who does bb rows as opposed to someone who does heavy hammer strength rows will look all that much different?? The answer is........ NO!

wutangnomo said:
Resistance is resistance. The key is to continually progress UP with the weight. This is the most important factor in buliding a great physique! Don't automatically assume that anyone who is big, thick, and strong does deads and squats. You will be surprised at how many built guys don't even know what the hell those exercises are! If one performs a VARIETY of exercises to hit all muscle groups and continues increasing the poundage that is ALL that matters. Do you think that someone who does bb rows as opposed to someone who does heavy hammer strength rows will look all that much different?? The answer is........ NO!
you keep taking the easy way out ill stick with my way..thnx

Good debate going on here...gotta agree with Wnt2 for a few reasons...

Personally from experience and just observing various gym goers it is obvious who uses machines as a base of routines and who uses them for supporting roles or assistance in the end...

I would say free weights comprise 80%-90% of my exercises and machines are used for assistance...though I do believe machines have some benefits(cables and resistance through the whole movement IE a lateral raise and a nautilus pullover machine etc.)

I see guys all the time doing lots of weight with lat pulldowns...cable rows...and yet their backs are laughable...using good form mind you....

There IS a difference in bodys that were built with free weights vs.machines....a certain density that one lacks when they rely on machines too much...

Basing a routine around machines is not optimal IMHO....there is a reason compounds should be the centerpiece of any routine...they give the best results!

wnt2bBeast said:
you keep taking the easy way out ill stick with my way..thnx

lol

You are sadly mistaken. You assume just b/c I defend machines that I solely rely on them. Incorrect. I do deads (conventional and sldl's), FRONT squats, freeweight rows (bent over bb rows and now my favourite... a t-bar row using bb with one end in the corner), push presses, military press, bench press, etc.

I am defending machines b/c machines are also a useful tool to incorporate in ones arsenal of exercises. I don't do regular squats b/c they do jack shit for my quads, however, front squats hammer my quads like nothing before. My body also responds much better to sldl's as opposed to conventional deads. Likewise with pullups, they do jack shit for my lats as opposed to pulldowns. The point is we're all built a little differently and not everyone will find deads and squats effective. I never said I didn't do them though. But whatever works for you, so good luck. :)

wutangnomo said:
lol

You are sadly mistaken. You assume just b/c I defend machines that I solely rely on them. Incorrect. I do deads (conventional and sldl's), FRONT squats, freeweight rows (bent over bb rows and now my favourite... a t-bar row using bb with one end in the corner), push presses, military press, bench press, etc.

I am defending machines b/c machines are also a useful tool to incorporate in ones arsenal of exercises. I don't do regular squats b/c they do jack shit for my quads, however, front squats hammer my quads like nothing before. My body also responds much better to sldl's as opposed to conventional deads. Likewise with pullups, they do jack shit for my lats as opposed to pulldowns. The point is we're all built a little differently and not everyone will find deads and squats effective. I never said I didn't do them though. But whatever works for you, so good luck. :)

well i do front squats as well..whats your point..if you look at my original post i said mnachines arent all bad but i would use them as assistance not for a main builder???? i think you might be the first to say u got more out of lat pulls than pull ups..but i guess theres a first time for everything

there are some machines i feel are better for me then the freeweight version. an example is bent over barbell rows, i cant fucking get those down for shit, but heavy t-bar rows and hammer strength rows i can really feel in my back and can control the entire movement. Also, pull-ups for some reason never made my lats grow. i now rest pause lat pull downs and my lats have definitely improved.

To the guys that are having problems with pullups-what grip are you using? That could be the problem right there....

Also what grip you using for the lat pulls? I usually use a wide grip where the bar starts to curve down..

Top Bottom