Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Low pulley mid-grip rows

InTraining said:
Good debate going on here...gotta agree with Wnt2 for a few reasons...

Personally from experience and just observing various gym goers it is obvious who uses machines as a base of routines and who uses them for supporting roles or assistance in the end...

I would say free weights comprise 80%-90% of my exercises and machines are used for assistance...though I do believe machines have some benefits(cables and resistance through the whole movement IE a lateral raise and a nautilus pullover machine etc.)

I see guys all the time doing lots of weight with lat pulldowns...cable rows...and yet their backs are laughable...using good form mind you....

There IS a difference in bodys that were built with free weights vs.machines....a certain density that one lacks when they rely on machines too much...

Basing a routine around machines is not optimal IMHO....there is a reason compounds should be the centerpiece of any routine...they give the best results!

I agree with you on some points, but I never said to base a routine soley around machines. I have been saying variety all along and to not knock machines. My only caveat is the attitude that if someone has great legs or a great back one automatically assumes they deadlift and squat. That is incorrect b/c one can still build a great back and legs performing other exercises.

As for your comment about guys having laughable backs or whatnot using machines, the problem is not the exercise, it is the fact that thei diets suck and that they do not CONSTANTLY progress upwards with the weight. If they were doing deads and squats they'd still have laughable physiques b/c they don't up the weight and lift intensely. So it really doesn't matter what exercise these guys do.

wutangnomo said:
I agree with you on some points, but I never said to base a routine soley around machines. I have been saying variety all along and to not knock machines. My only caveat is the attitude that if someone has great legs or a great back one automatically assumes they deadlift and squat. That is incorrect b/c one can still build a great back and legs performing other exercises.

As for your comment about guys having laughable backs or whatnot using machines, the problem is not the exercise, it is the fact that thei diets suck and that they do not CONSTANTLY progress upwards with the weight. If they were doing deads and squats they'd still have laughable physiques b/c they don't up the weight and lift intensely. So it really doesn't matter what exercise these guys do.

I agree with you man....never assumed you said that or practiced it...just something to think about as I see a LOT of people doing it.....

Yes people look at deadlifts and squats as though they are the holy grail of lifts...I know guys with traps up to their ears who don't know what a deadlift is and people with monster wheels who don't squat....

Of course squats and deadlifts are great lifts nonetheless

Also agree with you about progressive resistance as I said in a previous thread most people want to stay in their weight "comfort zone" and eat 2000 cals a day and expect to be ronnie.

My main complaint against machines is the increments suck, they're usually way too big. Usually with bilateral barbell stuff using 2.5 lb plates provides plenty of room for progression.

But then again they can do stuff freeweights can't.

casualbb said:
My main complaint against machines is the increments suck, they're usually way too big. Usually with bilateral barbell stuff using 2.5 lb plates provides plenty of room for progression.

But then again they can do stuff freeweights can't.
my complaint is they dont hold enough weight!!!!!! and my gym is to good to buy a few 100 lb plates!

Casual assuming your not using the stack on some exercises why not pin a plate to the stack this way you can move up in just about any increment you want instead of the 15 lbs that are on most machines..

They have these nice little 2.5 pound attachments for the cable row\pulldown at my gym...pretty helpful as in theory you can go up 2.5 almost every week

Top Bottom