Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Low carb and alcohol

Yep, MS nailed it pretty much on the head...ETOH can be used as energy under the the alcohol dehydrogenase system in the form of NADH, and it can be burned off as heat under the alcohol Oxidizing System in the form of NADP+ (and not energy/ATP). ETOH will yield 7Kcal/gram (7.1 to be exact I believe), and as long as you are under maintenance calories, then you shouldn't gain fat...Lyle McDonald has I believe stated this in the past as well if I remember right.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

12 oz of beer: 13.4 grams ---->94 calories
150ml wine : 16grams-------->112 calories
45ml. Whiskey: 18grams------->126 calories

Distilled spiritis equal NO CARBS as stated many time by MS:)

ETOH is completely used as an energy source when its <25% of energy intake.

90% of ETOH is metabolized by the liver and 2-10% is eliminated unchanged by the lungs or kidneys.

The ETOH Oxidizing system (etoh as heat) becomes more important with consumption of large amounts of alcohol (MS or anyone, if you have anything refuting this let me know), and chronic alcoholism. This could be an explanation as to why many alcoholics do nnot normally get fat (as well as if they are eating under maintenance calories).

When large amounts of alcohol is consumed, the ETOH dehydrogenase system will become saturated (lack of enzymes to quickly break down the alcohol from the stomach for absorption/energy), but the ETOH Oxidizing System doesn't. Therefore, heat will continue to be put off.

The induction of the alcohol-oxidizing system leads to a 50% increase in the rate of alcohol metabolism.

Additional notes:

ETOH is just an abbreviation for alcohol for those who are wondering.

ETOH-Oxidizing System is also known as the Microsomal Ethanol-Oxidizing System (MEOS).

There are other things I could add but are probably irrelevant at this time for this thread. Therefore, i'm stoppin' here.

MR. BMJ

The Nature Boy said:

hey project! I've been doing research all day on this, go to yahoo and do a search on "alcohol and calories" and "alcohol and carbs"..... you'll see what I'm saying.

What's up man?

I'll have to give those searches a try. I could've done that originally, but I thought I'd skip the work if you'd already done it. :D

This thread has gotten pretty interesting. I learn something new every day from this board.

MR. BMJ and MS, thanks for the detailed responses! :)

NateDogg said:
tonic as in club soda = carbonated water = no carbs.

NateDogg

Incorrect sir. Tonic water is sweetened (however they do sell diet tonic water). Club soda is not.

gymtime said:

Incorrect sir. Tonic water is sweetened (however they do sell diet tonic water). Club soda is not.

Thanks for the correction, I grew up thinking they were the same thing.

NateDogg

just thought i would post what my nutritionist told me the other day regarding alcohol. she said that it isn't only the added calories/carbs that contribute to weight gain, but it is the fact that your liver can only process about an ounce of alcohol per hour and the rest gets stored as fat in that time frame. i haven't done further research on this but she is a very intelligent lady and this is probably true when looking at the girls who reduce their calories to fit alcohol into their daily intake still gain lots of extra fat in a short time regardless of what type of diet they are on.

Top Bottom