Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Low carb and alcohol

if you want a safer drink while on a low carb diet, get a bacardi O on the rocks, or bacardi limon on the rocks. I stay in ketosis and can drink 12 or 13 a night if i wanted....but if i drink 12 beers i go right out of ketosis.

I found some intresting reading on lite beer. Basically it's watered down regular beer. So it has less carbs, calories, and ALCOHOL! But people that drink to get drunk will drink more, thereby negating the "lite" benefits.

I also found a site with a link to a carb/calorie table of hard alchohol drinks.... but it was a dead link. :(

Hi there Cozmo. This one might be worth a short term sticky since it keeps coming up a lot......Rum (or any other straight distilled spirit) has NO CARBS in it. The only carbs would come frome the mixer, but diet coke also has no carbs, so this combo is fine for maintaining ketosis. I think I need to repeat this. Distilled spirits DO NOT HAVE any carbs in them.

So now that we've got that sorted, this does not mean it's OK to drink lots of rum on a keto diet. Ketosis means a lack of liver glycogen. Glycogen is the main source of fuel for all of the hundreds of metabolic feats your liver performs (including detoxification of alcohol and processing of most drugs, proteins and phytotoxins). So you will stress your liver big time if you burden it with alcohol while in ketosis. It doesn't seem a good idea to me.

not to mention that alccohol slows the metabolism too. And I found this interesting, alcohol, like rum for example, has calories, yet they dont come from carbs, fats or proteins. Alcohol is like it's own entity, seperate from carbs fats and proteins.

The Nature Boy said:
And I found this interesting, alcohol, like rum for example, has calories, yet they dont come from carbs, fats or proteins. Alcohol is like it's own entity, seperate from carbs fats and proteins.

How does that work?

That runs contrary to what I've been taught.

Did you find that in a study somewhere? Maybe online? If so, I'd like to see the link.

TheProject said:

How does that work?

That runs contrary to what I've been taught.

Did you find that in a study somewhere? Maybe online? If so, I'd like to see the link.

hey project! I've been doing research all day on this, go to yahoo and do a search on "alcohol and calories" and "alcohol and carbs"..... you'll see what I'm saying.

Alcohol has 7 calories per gram. Unlike carbs, protein or fat, alcohol's calories CANNOT under any circumstances be stored as energy (ie fat, muscle or glycogen). Therefore your body must burn alcohol before it can burn any other cals floating around in your system. This effectively means that non alcohol calories will likely be stored as fat/glycogen if consumed at the same time as the alcohol. This is true even in ketosis. However, if you drink alcohol without any other calories, it can't make you fat unless your total daily calorie intake is above maintenance. A significant proportion of alcohol calories gets burned off as heat. Vasodilation and an increased feeling of warmth are noticeable after consumption. Because of this it appears that alcohol, without directly increasing metabolism, can result in an increase in calories bured as heat rather than stored as fat. Modest alcohol consumption also increases insulin sensitivity in women, but not men (this is assuming you're not on a keto diet), so if used in the right quantities at the right time, it may aid women in gaining muscle. A single drink as part of a post-workout meal is ideal for women, especially if they're premenstrual. Otherwise it makes good sense to avoid alcohol if you're on a calorie restricted diet since it's basically empty calories and hard on the liver.

Top Bottom