Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Just tried weighted chins and...

Goodfellow

I decided to incorporate these into my back routine as it was pretty tough anyway. Now my lats are totally blasted and here is what I did today:

BB Rows: 295 5x5
Db Rows: 140 3-12
Weighted grins with 40 bls 3 sets of 10

I can really tell that my lats are gona be sore tomarrow!

Karma is always welcome!

Goodfellow said:
I decided to incorporate these into my back routine as it was pretty tough anyway. Now my lats are totally blasted and here is what I did today:

BB Rows: 295 5x5
Db Rows: 140 3-12

I can really tell that my lats are gona be sore tomarrow!

Karma is always welcome!

seriously? I dont think ive seen any guys use 140s on db rows...wow!

Goodfellow said:

whats a weighted "grin"? hehe. i know you were probably grinning after your 3rd set. good stuff! i love em too. love to hate them but they work very well.

Is it just me, or are chins one of the most intense exercises? I mean, it's an open-chain movement or whatever, and even though deads and squats are some of the biggest, I always get out of breath or exhausted from chins. Not out of shape or anything really, I just really feel chins more than anything else. I love 'em, but I feel so helpless when I'm trying to force out extra reps.

I have to agree on the forced reps being tough on chins, I know when my set is over because my chin will not go over the bar no matter how hard I pull lol. Besides heavy dumbell stiff-legged deadlifts, weighted chins are my main back exercise before all others. I think it's a great test of power to weight ratio. I see alot of big guys that walk around that probably couldn't even do a chin lol. I like em in sets of 5x3 or 3x5. High reps and chins don't work for me. It won't take long before I'm crankin 5x3 with BW+45 at 200+lbs bodyweight and man I'll be stoked. Of course, my goal is 135x5x3. Weighted chins are the pimp shit manliness, especially when guys over 200lbs are doing them. :lightning

i totally agree on the chins. once your pooped, thats it. i guess i have the advantage on these guys. doing a set of 20 isnt that bad, but for some reason a 5x5 has been getting me at the gym lately. could be the squats first. doing them with weight just makes you look like a badass though. most ive ever pulled off was 135 BW + 100 extra. only one rep though. i had a girl hold on to my waist and i pulled her with me. it was killer! i have MAD respect to the big guys that can pull off clean chins. any chins for that matter. THE hardest in my book.

I think i must be gifted at chin ups. Ive only started doing them recently and i could do 15 good ones straight away (im 200lbs @ 10%btw) Im now doing sets of 10 with 30lbs attached to a chain through my support belt after about 4 weeks of doing them. My lifting buddy cant do 10 unweighted (he even took his trainers off the other day for less weight, the pussy!)

I wish i could do all my other exercises as well!

But i agree, they are a great excersise and i love doing them.

That's cool that you can do chins well Rod555. The more bodyfat you have, the harder they are, and the less you have the easier they are. My bodyfat looking in the mirror(I'm a pretty good judge of BF) is probably 17-18% now and dropping. Chinning myself is a bitch. I like chins and they feel good, but I'm pulling more useless fat weight than a guy like you. As for your buddy can't do 10 unweighted chins, well he's probably not wired the same as you. That's why I think recommending the standard 3x10 to anyone is utter crap. Even when I was in boot camp and was a emaciated (imo) 155lbs on my endo-meopmorph frame, I could only crank out 12 good chinups. Right now I'd be lucky to get 6-7 tops BW only, but I guarantee I could do 5 or more sets of 3 reps with 15lbs attached. Therein lies the difference in muscle fiber composition. For me, it's pointless to try for high reps in any back exercise except rows, and even those I have to go considerably lighter than I can in order to get sets of 10.

i forgot...

chins are underhand grip, correct?

pullups are overhand?

which one is better for back- or is it personal preference

Tom Treutlein said:
Is it just me, or are chins one of the most intense exercises? I mean, it's an open-chain movement or whatever, and even though deads and squats are some of the biggest, I always get out of breath or exhausted from chins. Not out of shape or anything really, I just really feel chins more than anything else. I love 'em, but I feel so helpless when I'm trying to force out extra reps.
I thought chin were closed chain.
Isnt it: anything where you push or pull against it and you move, close chain. Squats, Chins, Pushups, Dips Etc

Anything that you push or pull against and it moves, open chain?
Like pulldowns, bicep curls, Deadlifts, bench press

Top Bottom