Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is soreness a good indicator of growth?

I'm going to disagree with DOMS being an indicator of growth. It can be an indicator or irritation if a muscle hasn't adapted to the training stimulus, or it could be that the muscle was overworked. I like using total workload as a measure of progress. I did full body routines 3 times a week with a couple sets per bodypart while avoiding failure and found that while the weights increased, I never got sore even though my total sets would hit anywhere from 10-12 for the week per bodypart. Then, when I started doing split routines, I was doing that many sets per bodypart in one workout. I became sore because of a new stimulus, but I then stopped feeling sore. I have made progress without soreness(actual increase in muscle size) so I don't believe it holds true. Of course, if you read some Ironman articles, you'd be told that it's an absolute necessity to become sore. If you lift more weight for more reps, you'll get bigger, no question.

Hmm..

Although it does indeed depend on the translation. Ok, i'll need to know which translation you were referring to, or if you were referring to the original content in japanese. At any rate DOMS is still no reliable indicator of level of muscular "inroad" (to borrow a HIT term) or recovery

TC,
jeremy

Soreness An Indicator of Muscle Growth

No, soreness is not a good indicator of muscle growth. The best indicator of muscle growth is strength gains. As long as you're getting stronger on all or most of your lifts every week, you're going to grow. When you become stronger, your body has to grow.

DOMS is not a 100% gaurantee of an effective workout, it just indicates that muscles have been damaged and the growth processes are under way.

Doms is not a pre requisite (spelling is shit) for muscle growth, but it can be a sign of a good workout, no one can be 100% sure of what doms is. If you never run and suddenly decide to run you will get doms. If you have a couple of weeks off and go back to the gym and attempt around a similar intensity of workout you will get doms. Again do not be concerned with feeling sore the next 1 or 2 days, concentrate on increasing the workload in a sensible manner.

Yes, people can grow without ever getting sore. BUT, doms is still an indicator that muscles were broken down/damaged and that they are in a state of repair.

hardgainer (!)

Re: Soreness An Indicator of Muscle Growth

Burning Rage said:
When you become stronger, your body has to grow.

Unfortunately that's bullshit. Strength is not directly related to size, and vice versa. Also when you first start working out, you get "stronger" quite quickly without much (if any) muscle gain. That's because as you get more experience lifting weights, you leart to recruit more of your existing muscle fibers to do the job - your neuromuscular can increase without weight increase.

Top Bottom