Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is soreness a good indicator of growth?

mort

Is post-exercise soreness an indication of growth? I've heard conflicting opinions. And if not, then what exactly is it. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I'm sore the next day or so. Though I must say it might be psychological because I don't see any direct results.

Thanks,

Mort

I assume you are talking about DOMS, DOMS is an indicator that the muscles were sufficiently stressed to have achieved muscle break-down, which will require your body to repair those muscles. This adaptation will cause hypertrophy, provided that neuro-muscular strength increases have been largely exhausted.

And, also... use the Search function on this board, it's very useful.

hardgainer (pump)

Soreness (DOMS, Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is a sign that the muscle has been damaged from an external load.

When the muscle is damaged by exercise, it must be repaired just as any other tissue. This process predominantly involves immune cells called macrophages and a few similar cells. They infiltrate the damaged tissue and begin to phagocytize the damaged cells. Essentially, this is the process of inflammation that you can see in a cut or burn on your skin. Additionally, macrophages have been shown to either release or be involved in the release of certain growth factors that aid in the healing of tissues. Also, the growth factors stimulate satellite cells to fuse with the damaged muscle cells; i.e., hypertrophy.

DOMS is a result of all this metabolic activity going on; the chemicals released by the macrophages during the process of phagocytosis stimulate the type IV receptors in the muscle, causing pain.

So, while you can't judge a workout's success by the presence or absence of DOMS, you can at least be aware that some growth is occuring.

i wish i was that clever.

Dont be overly concerned with doms, to many people at my gym feel that they have not had a good workout unless they are limping the enxt day, what matters is progressive overload.

Hmm...

DOMS is NOT a signal of whether or not a muscle has ben worked sufficiently. Never use muscle soreness as a guage for your workouts and never miss a workout due to DOMS as it tells absolutely nothing of whether muscle is recovered or not.

take care,
jeremy

You must be a HITter

Try looking up current medical research into the meaning of DOMS.. ya know something that was written post-Arthur Jones.. ^_~
have a good day as well
jeremy

Top Bottom