Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much protein?

I eat 100-150g per day when bulking, lots more when cutting. I'm an old fashioned kinda gal that likes to save money and let the carbs do the work directly, rather than having to convert them from protein to glucose. But I eat mostly low GI carbs all the time. Ultimately, you may have to play around and find what's optimal for you. Officially, male BBs need, on average, 1.2g protein (minimum) per lb bodyweight. Females that are not on AAS may do fine on less than this, but better to eat too much than too little.

wyst said:
So you mean 1.5-2.0 grams per pound by that right?

Thanks,

Wyst

I agree with this ! 1.5 to 2.0 g of protein per body weight is about what you want to consume. At least this is what I do and it seems to work for me. I'm 5 ft 1, 120 lbs., so I eat about 150-200 grams a day. It may sound like a lot, but if you break it down into 5 meals, it just about 30 grams a sitting. 30 grams is nothing per sitting. Hope this helps.....

Oops, my bad. That's 1.6-1.7 grams per KG (not pounds) that male BBs need to take in to optimize muscle gains/nitrogen balance. There is no known advantage of eating more than this unless you're taking AAS or have a digestive disorder/wasting disease. However, there is no solid evidence that eating more than this will kill your kidneys either. I think this amount is a good minimum starting point for "bulking".

That figure (which is pretty solid in theory and practice) is grams per KILO, not per pound bodyweight. It works out to around 0.8 grams per pound. I think that even if you're on the chunky side that this is not an overkill for protein, and all bodybuilders would do well to set this as their minimum. I get in between 0.8 and 1 gram protein per pound when bulking, but it's actually hard to take in less than this when you're eating 2500-3000cals per day!

So your 400 lb fat slob would only take in 300-400 grams of protein (which is still a lot of chicken breasts.......). But then again, a fat 5'3" slob would hardly be on a "bulking" diet.

wyst said:
Thanks Gladiola! Honest, VDL is your sister? How cool!
Yup - indeed! She's the one who told me about this board in the 1st place & also first took me to the gym to lift. I can still remember triceps so sore from skull crushers that I couldn't lift my arms above my head, let alone bend at the elbow. ;) But I loved it!

Regarding protein for an athlete - doesn't a strength athlete need more protein than an endurance athlete?

I thought the strain on the kidneys was only really an issue if you were in Ketosis (no carbs) - but with lots of protein & some carbs, is there still risk?

1.5-2g protein per pound bodyweight....

whole food is always best... shakes after training and before bed.

I would eat the same amnt protein on off days as well.. maybe you can skip the one shake though.

when bulking, I like to keep a 1:1 ratio carbs to protein... most carbs upon waking and after training...

my 2cents

dg

An athlete's needs will vary based not only on their type of activity, but training volume as well. Just by comparing resistance training programs, someone who trains 10 - 14 times a week vs someone who trains four times a week should be doing far more damage to their muscles and will probably require a much higher nutritional profile overall, not just protein.

I have never seen any conclusive evidence that high amounts of protein cause damage to the kidneys in healthy individuals. Their is quite a bit of evidence supporting the higher protein requirements for athletes (particularly by Lemon).

Yup, Arioch is correct. I think misunderstandings happen when we talk about what constitues "high protein".

Here's a chart drawn from Lemon's work on strength athletes:

Based on his review of the research, Lemon reports that if you're strength training on a regular
basis, you'll need to consume roughly 0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (or 1.7
grams of protein for every kilogram). Endurance athletes need around 0.6 grams per pound of bodyweight (1.4 grams per kilogram).

The table below gives you an idea of how much protein you need on a daily basis:

Your Weight Strength Training Endurance Training
150lb (68kg) 120 grams 90 grams
160lb (73kg) 128 grams 96 grams
170lb (77kg) 136 grams 102 grams
180lb (82kg) 144 grams 108 grams
190lb (86kg) 152 grams 114 grams
200lb (91kg) 160 grams 120 grams

If we take someone who weighs 180lb, that works out at 144 grams of protein each day. If
you're into serious strength training, that figure will probably rise.

Dr. Lemon also points out that, "dietary protein needs are likely to be greatest if exercise occurs
when carbohydrate stores are limited."

Your body is pretty smart. It can get its energy from several different fuel sources. If there's less
carbohydrate, your body simply burns more fat AND protein.

And guess where your body gets the protein from? That's right -- it starts eating away at your
muscles -- slowing your metabolic rate, reducing your strength AND bringing muscle growth to a
grinding halt.

What about safety? After all, don't high protein diets damage your kidneys?

Although this myth is still very popular, there's very little evidence to support it. Sure, patients
with impaired kidney function shouldn't consume large amounts of protein. However, there's no
evidence to suggest that healthy kidneys can't handle the levels of protein recommended by
Dr. Lemon.

An increase in protein intake also increases your need for fluids, so make sure that any rise in
protein consumption is accompanied by an increase in water intake.

If you've been training with weights without seeing much in the way of results, make sure you're
eating enough protein -- either in the form of whole food (such as chicken, fish or lean red meat)
or a protein supplement.

and if you aren't using AS, your protein synthesis will be much lower, so your needs are less....

when I said Shake before bed.. I should have clarified to the TYPE... you guys are too flippin picky... stick with a mixed (whey, casien, egg) shake for immediate, slower, and slow absorbtion of amino acids through the night.

dg

spatterson said:

Beautiful. :)

LOL...thinking about this, 175 X 2.0 DOES come to 350! So I'm right on track! :lmao:

Heh. When Giants Walked the Earth!

I guess if I hit 250g I'll be okay for my 125 lbs, then, by that calculation, and my current 200-225, isn't too far off either anybody's set of recommendations.

Cool.

Thanks so much for all the info everybody, this is much much appreciated!

I'd give you all karma if the system would let me!

xoxoxo

Wyst

Top Bottom