Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much protein?

wyst

How many grams a day per pound of bodyweight do you eat when you're in a building phase?

How much of that protein is in supps?

Do you eat more on heavy lift days than on light or rest days (I don't, but have friends that do)?

Just doing a little tweaking...tweaking the diet that is.

Thanks!

Wyst

PS: I did do some searching around, but I seem to be search-engine challenged today. I keep ending up on carb threads!

Thanks for the answer, D-Dice. That's a lotta damned protein, lol.

That's regardless of size? I'm only like 5'5" and weigh about 125 give or take, and am a size 4. That's maybe a little more muscley than it sounds, given that I have a punk-ass Asian build (waaaaah).

:(

What are the rest of you ladies eating for daily protein?

Wyst

Thanks, spatts...

Hey could you (or anyone) recommend a good site that can help me break down what I ate into protein, carbs, calories, etc? You know, a nutrition calculator kinda thing? I'm pretty good at this, but I think it's time to re-examine the ol' diet.

Anybody else care to post how much protein they chow down on per day?

Wyst

Last edited:
I aim for at least one gram per lb of body weight - which is about 135 lb (5'4"). Typically I'd rather be closer to 200, I set 135 as my minimum. I also try to have it be at least 30-40% of calories. I use www.fitday.com to track it all. I admit I'm not nearly as careful with all the #'s as I should be, but I aim for a little more carbs on a day where I do both lifting & cardio. Otherwise I don't alter much.

It's all from real food except maybe one shake OR one bar - which is for convenience usually on the way home from the gym. 175-200 is difficult for me to achieve, I really don't like meat & fish all that much. I might go higher, but I'm still working on that whole force-feeding thing....

In case she doesn't post, my sister, VDL, aims for a minimum of 200g protein.

Heehee. Spatts is a protein monster, then, in other words.

LOL.

I get the image of Cookie Monster, shouting "cookie" with bits of chocolate chips flying out of his mouth

crossed with:

The image of Leeloo from fifth element zapping her second whole chicken in under a half hour and saying "Chi-kan! Good!"

Lol. Don't be mad, Spatts! I aspire to this!

Thanks Gladiola! Honest, VDL is your sister? How cool! None of my family is interested in either computers or fitness, lol.

I think (again, need to really keep a diary again for a few days to check) that I'm at 200-225 g of protein at the moment, after ramping up a bit. I think I could hit 300 if I pushed it (and cheated with a shake OR bar per day) but 400 just blows my mind!

You're pretty tall and have a relatively big frame, though, right spatts? In addition to a sa-weet ghetto bootay.

Wyst

spatterson said:

Unless you go to fitday and preprogram your ratios off the actual packaging, I wouldn't trust a program that gives its own numbers. A notebook and a pen work great for me.

I don't mind doing the preprogramming. I am occasionally kinda obsessive/compulsive. Plus I sometimes write about the Internet, so it's a good thing for me to check out. Plus I'm a totally compulsive journal/diarist. So maybe a mix?

Wyst

Do you fill this in every day? Compulsive as I can be, I can only do spot checking of my diet. A couple days a week here and there. Otherwise the joy goes out of my life and I go off my diet, lol.

Wyst

Wyst,
Be careful not to overdo the protein because it can really mess up your kidneys. Make sure you drink a lot of water. Be wary of eating 300-400 grams of protein at 125 lbs. There's a guy (forgot his handle) on the diet board who has kidney damage from overdoing the protein, and now he can't eat over 50g a day, and therefore can no longer bodybuild. When creating a diet, try to keep health in mind. Remember what you'd eat naturally (I don't mean fast food, I mean what is healthy) - about equal carbs and protein, a little bit of fat. For instance, consider a 40/40/20 diet.
To answer your question more directly, 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight is a good marker. So for you, that's 125g - 187.5g protein.

PS: Do what works for you - if you find that you can build muscle with less, then eat less. If you need more, eat more. There are no conclusive studies, as far as I know, evaluating the effects of 150g protein vs. 300g. But remember, moderation moderation moderation!

Top Bottom