Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How many of you stretch before working out ?

Stretching is a must not only does it prevent injury but also helps blood to flow through them. People who don't stretch usualy lift for the pump and lifting for the pump is not ideal for growing.

In My routine I STRETCH and flex throughout the workout to get the best blood flow i can, and also to prevent injuries. Both are equally important to me. On the other hand I have never used a workout log, or specific program, I just play it by ear and do what my body tells me. Go with that.

Mike Francois is my trainer. He said he knows VERY FEW pros who stretch before they work out. He said it's better to just do a light warmup set to get the blood flowing into the muscle, then just get into the workout. If you stretch before, you're stretching cold muscles, therefore you risk easily tearing them. That's his theory, along with Eric Serrano. Makes sense to me...

Surg

Latest research I've been reading in perodicals state that pre-stretching does NOT prevent injury.
If anything, stretching AFTER a work out is more important.

im with pants---i've been lifting for over 10 years and i never stretch before i start. injury free baby, dont even know what it feels like to strain or pull a muscle!!!! as long as i keep making great gains safely, fuck the scientific, riverdance bullshit!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/bigandnat2002

a tight muscle will be able to lift more than a loose muscle. just me personaly, i dont stretch. no need to argue this any further as i can see everyone is set in there ways.

I'll try and dig up some literature later...But stretching is detrimental to weight bearing activity. It actually increases the risk of injury and weakens the muscle. That would obviously be counter productive to getting the most out of your workout. Starting with light warm-up sets and working into the heavier weights is the best way to safely and non-obtrusively aclimate the muscle fibers for the work to come. Stretching a cold muscle actually causes micro-tears and alocal trauma as well as decreases contractile potential.

I am going to have to side with the non-stretchers here.

What does stretching do to a muscle? It RELAXES it.

If anything stretch the ANTAGONIST muscles for the exercise you are doing.

I lift every other day, so usually I am dealing with the delayed onset soreness from my last lifting session. I stretch those muscles which are sore between sets. I also do some AR work between work sets for the sore muscles. I also do warm up sets of course.

Ideally I would stretch and do AR work on all my off days but it don't work like that.

JC

Top Bottom