Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How do I get "more flexible in the hips"?

Seashell

El Kabong
Platinum
What kind of stretches will help? My flexibility is very poor, it's affecting my squat big-time, my chiro showed me one stretch, but it requires another person to help...which isn't possible 99% of the time. Any ideas?

I'm making an attempt to get back into squatting one day. Flexibility is a major issue for me! As for as hip flexibility, I like to get down into a lunge position with the forward foot bent at 90 degrees and the rear foot stretched as for back as possible. from that position, if my right leg is forward, I try to touch my right elbow to the floor next to the instep on my right foot. Then, I switch. Does that make sense?

This has concerned me for my future. I am a very flexible person and do not want to loose that as I grow more strong, muscular, and lean. So, I have just recently started doing Hatha Yoga. That is the Yoga that is the physical yoga containing stretching and exercising.
I love it.
It is a workout and it really helps with flexibility all over the body. It also helps with focus and relaxation. There are many good videos out there on it and I am actually starting with a book I got at my local library, but I am sure classes would be great too. You can find some very affordable ones at some YMCAs and gyms. My Mother's church is even starting a Yoga class this Saturday. I am thinking of attending.

pwr_machine said:
I'm making an attempt to get back into squatting one day. Flexibility is a major issue for me! As for as hip flexibility, I like to get down into a lunge position with the forward foot bent at 90 degrees and the rear foot stretched as for back as possible. from that position, if my right leg is forward, I try to touch my right elbow to the floor next to the instep on my right foot. Then, I switch. Does that make sense?

*makes sure no one is nearby her office and gets down on the floor to try it*

So, the right elbow goes down on the INSIDE of the right foot correct? Dear Lord, I can't get anywhere near the floor with my elbow. (Though it may also be due to the fact that my pants are too tight) :D I think I get what you mean though, the back leg, can be bent right?

*makes sure no one is nearby her office and gets down on the floor to try it*
:lmao:

Sounds like you're doing it correctly. Years ago, I could get my elbow and just about my whole torso to the floor. Now, I'm far from it! As you get more flexible, you'll be able to get the elbow closer to the floor and keep the rear leg a bit straighter. Hope that helps! :)

Thanks pwr_machine! I'm going to incorporate that one into the daily stretching and hopefully will see some improvement. My chiro says I have the flexibility of a day old corpse. D'oh!

BeachBuff: Good tip, my gym has Yoga classes, maybe I should try that out. Any particular video you would recommend?

For hip flexibility in the squat, I like ATF squats and ATF front squats, periformis work with a band (abductors) with knees higher than the hips, low pulley hip thrusts, and crab walks.

If you have boxes for box squats, seated GMS are a GREAT stretch as well as a strength builder. for a GREAT stretch, prop your feet up on low pins in the power rack when you do these. The hamstring/glute/hip stretch is incredible.

ATF? Periformis? What?? :D

I don't know how to do any you've mentioned, but I'd like to learn. I'm looking at the asylum-strength page trying to find a vid .. the low-pulley hip thrust is that the same as the ATF hip thrust??

I have a few Yoga tapes that my Mom has dubbed for me, but I don't know the names off the top of my head and I have not used any of them yet. Just using that book.
I would go to your local library and see what videos they have. Free to rent and you get to keep them a while. That way you can see what you like and don't like before you go out and purchase yourself some.
I also do plie' squats now. I find that is helping me with a little hip problem I have. I think I dislocated my hip about a year ago and it has been acting up for days after my leg workout days. After I added the plie' squats before I do my other squats, including hacks, it has really helped limber up that hip. So, I guess I am using the plie' as kind of a warm up for that joint. I do them slow and with low weight.

sometimes I get to practice my flexibility unassisted and for hip flexibility I do it something like this:

You can put your ankle weights, and (with previous warmup) lying on the floor you can try stretching your legs (upward and to the sides) as forming a "V" shape.

Another exercise is with the same ankle weights, standing with one foot elevating the other to the front, side and back... then change positions.

At first you may want to try these without the ankle weights to adjust for intensity.

Top Bottom