Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hi Ladies!

sopac

Ok so I'm posting here for my mother. Shes 49, 5'6 and somewhere around 123 in weight. I've recently convinced her to join a fitness center but before she start she needs some guidance. She likes to lift weights and do cardio so it shouldnt be too hard. I would like her to get her diet in check first. Shes looking to drop some fat and tone up. I was hoping someone could help me with a basic diet plan for a woman of her age and stature. Also a decent workout plan. I'd like to give her some of my own advice but I figure this would be a better approach. Thanks :)

How cool you are getting your mom to train.

Congrats!

There really isn't that much difference for training with men and women, at any age.

Just start out with the basics, compounds, all over body workout two or three times a week, going light until she is comfortable with the movements and she is doing them in good form.

I find women also like this split:

Monday - Lowerbody - squats, leg press, leg extensions

Wednesday - Upperbody - bench press, military press, bent over rows or single DB rows, cable press downs, bicep curls

Friday - Lowerbody - Lunges, leg press, hamstring curls

She may like machines more, or only have them available.

Get her used to doing three sets of about 8-12, and let her know the idea is to increase the weight and intensity after she is used to training.

Cardio after.

I would also check some of the stickies for diet advice, or get her a copy of burn the fat feed the muscle.

Tatyana said:
How cool you are getting your mom to train.

Congrats!

There really isn't that much difference for training with men and women, at any age.

Just start out with the basics, compounds, all over body workout two or three times a week, going light until she is comfortable with the movements and she is doing them in good form.

I find women also like this split:

Monday - Lowerbody - squats, leg press, leg extensions

Wednesday - Upperbody - bench press, military press, bent over rows or single DB rows, cable press downs, bicep curls

Friday - Lowerbody - Lunges, leg press, hamstring curls

She may like machines more, or only have them available.

Get her used to doing three sets of about 8-12, and let her know the idea is to increase the weight and intensity after she is used to training.

Cardio after.

I would also check some of the stickies for diet advice, or get her a copy of burn the fat feed the muscle.

Thanks a lot for the info. I wish I could help her out but her gym does not have the equipment i like so shes gotta do this solo. I believe she is more worried about what other people think too much. :rolleyes: Anyways this seems like a pretty easy routine for her to follow.

I train in two proper BBing gyms, and there are older people, people who have weight issues, moms, the lot training in the gym.

I make a special effort to make sure they feel comfortable as I can vaguely remember how intimidating BBing gyms can be when you first start at them.

Most people in gyms love it when others decide they want to train.

Would you be able to hire her a personal trainer for a few sessions just so she can get used to the equipment?

Tatyana said:
I train in two proper BBing gyms, and there are older people, people who have weight issues, moms, the lot training in the gym.

I make a special effort to make sure they feel comfortable as I can vaguely remember how intimidating BBing gyms can be when you first start at them.

Most people in gyms love it when others decide they want to train.

Would you be able to hire her a personal trainer for a few sessions just so she can get used to the equipment?

I was actually thinking about the whole personal trainer thing. I believe most gyms offer 1 or 2 free sessions also. I'm kind of against personal trainers sometimes though, they act more like salesman. I need to find one with a good reputation.

Personal trainer would be great..to teach her proper form. They pay is based on sales so that is why they might seem so pushy. Weights will be the best thing for her to add at her age

sopac said:
I was actually thinking about the whole personal trainer thing. I believe most gyms offer 1 or 2 free sessions also. I'm kind of against personal trainers sometimes though, they act more like salesman. I need to find one with a good reputation.

Personal trainers ARE salesmen. This is the only way for them to gain clients and actually earn a living. The gym don't pay them diddly. I know because I used to be one. Imagine my horror when here I thought my focus was going to be educating and training clients and the first thing my boss does is say, "Go get clients and if you don't meet your quota you are gone."

Anyways... she should be able to have a session with every trainer in the gym before she can decide who it is that she will be comfortable with for training. The first one/two introductory sessions are a sales tool - NOT TRAINING.

If you have real intentions of hiring a competent trainer then either you or your mom tell the manager that you want to have at least one session with everyone on their staff. If they do not allow this then they are not confident in their abilities and you need not hire them regardless.

I don't know ANY trainers that won't willingly show you what they've got for free if you are serious about purchasing sessions.

Top Bottom