Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Here's my HST

Jim Ouini said:
I assume this is lactic acid flushing?
Yes. It is good for the joints.

Jim Ouini said:
Maybe I started to light because here in Week 5 I feel like I'm only approaching failure on maybe OHP, dips, GM's and lunges.
If you're not getting a burn, you can increase rep speed during the concentric. When I do my prehab I go for 30 or so reps because it enables me to get LOTS of reps in while my muscles are on fire from the lactic acid. Seriously, the end of the light 30-reppers borders on torture.

Guinness5.0 said:
Are you experiencing a burn at all? That is a large part of the benefit of doing the 15 rep phase. To paraphrase AI, achieving the burn is more important than the number of reps (for this period).

Yup, and I basically paraphrased Blade from the HST boards when I said that.

The whole point of the 15's is to prepare joints, tendons, and connective tissues for the heavy loading to come, especially if you run it out to post-5's or negatives.

You want to feel the burn deep in the "belly" of the muscle. You're likely getting a burn in your lungs more than anything due to the circuit style training. Maybe cut that idea (although I guess I'm too late, you're at the end of the 15's) or just run it a few extra times. You don't need to worry about set count. Just get as many reps as it takes to get the burn. That's what I've done, anyhow.

And you shouldn't approach failure until the last workout of every two-week block anyway, so it's good you haven't yet.

Good luck with the rest of it, I'll be watching.

Guinness5.0 said:
If you're not getting a burn, you can increase rep speed during the concentric. When I do my prehab I go for 30 or so reps because it enables me to get LOTS of reps in while my muscles are on fire from the lactic acid. Seriously, the end of the light 30-reppers borders on torture.

That is so true - I love the looks I get on my face. Having a spotter help you curl 40'lbs looks bad....but I'm thinking from reading your thread it's going to work out just fine...off to research...

nelmsjer said:
What the heck is going on in here? All this blasphemy: pec deck, 30 reps, the "burn", John Travolta, circuits...

Damn, Ouini, I thought you were a serious lifter.

;)

:sulk:

Funny thing is, I saw a friend of mine at the gym yesterday who I hadn't seen in a few weeks. He was BS'ing with some dudes about something or other and he spots me doing my lunges. He shouts over 'WTF are you doing?!' Keep in mind he calls me a 'crazy bastard' for always squatting and deading and never using the machines.

Anyway, suffice it to say I wriggled out of it by saying I was doing some 'conditioning' and 'prep work' :chomp:

Workout 6 of 6 (15 reps). Yay.

Circuit 1
Squat

225 x 13 (+40)

Warmed up with some front squats with just the bar, then 135 x 5. Had to take a deep breath at 10 and by 13 my legs were shakey. I mighta coulda powered through 2 more but I am really being careful with my back and didn't want to risk any GM action.

Flat DB press
90 x 15 (+10)

Arms were wobbley on the last rep, pretty hard.

BB row
165 x 15 (+30)

These really gassed me. Reps 12-15 I had to to pause for a couple secs while the weight was on the floor.

OHP
105 x 13 (+10)

Nothing to exciting, couldn't quite get 15 but luckily I was 'feeling the burn' by the 10th rep or so ;)

GM's
145 x 15 (+10)

Last couple reps were quite difficult. Hams were shaking and I had to really focus on keeping everything tight.

Circuit 2
Reverse Lunge w/BB

115 x 15 (+10)

Really hard. Took a minute break between legs.

Dips
40 x 15 (+5)

No 45's in sight so I stayed with 40's. Barely locked out the last rep.

Reverse Pulldown
175 x 15 (+15)

Wow these were hard, my biceps were fried, I barely got the last rep. Doubtful that it have passed in competition :p

Travolta's
3 x 15

Power Shrug from hang
275 x 15 (+10)

Really had to force myself to do these. And when I finally got started I had to focus on form a lot. I was able to get decent hip action I guess but afterwards I felt kind of nauseous. :worried: So I sat down on a bench for several minutes, it felt like Week 4 5 x 5 deadlifting I was so tired.

Overall: Whew I'm glad this phase is over. Now onto 10's, where I bump up to 2 sets. I'm thinking of dropping one of the pressing moves, like maybe the flat db presses. One reason is that at >90 the dumbells have little pointy ends that dig into my leg when I get started, and I might need some help getting them into position >100.

Or maybe I should split the circuits into workout A and B, and alternate. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW, is Friday international arm day? I swear 75% of the guys were doing curls and the fight for the tricep pushdown was unbelievable.

Workout 1 of 6 (2 x 10)

Squat

185 x 2 x 10

Kinda hard for some reason. Oh well.

Bench
185 x 2 x 10

Pretty fast 'n easy except the last 2 reps of 2nd set slowed down.

BB row
135 x 2 x 10

Weight wasn't hard but hard to keep a tight midsection and lowerback for that long, at least for me. At this point I really didn't feel like working out, and in fact I was thinking that I didn't feel like lifting again EVER. Then I remembered the chunk o' change I just dropped on that BB set and trudged on.

OHP
85 x 2 x 10

GM
135 x 2 x 10

Bent my knees a tad bit more to make it easier ;)

Scapular retraction thingie
5 x 2 x 10

Reverse grip pulldown
150 x 2 x 10

Moderately difficult on the last rep.

Powershrug
225 x 2 x 10

Actually caught some air on my first set ala Biggt. But after that I settled down to tippie toes. 10 reps is much better than 15.

So I skipped lunges because, uhm, well I didn't want to do them. The gym was sweltering and I think for this phase it's just too much. And I dropped the dips in favor of flat BB bench, I only want to do 2 pressing moves. I briefly considered running alternating A and B workouts and finally just settled on dropping a couple exercises that were giving me grief.

Did you get loaded from the 15s or was it just a bit of dehydration going on? Maybe the break for the vacation has taken a lot out of you.

I don't think I'm loaded. Probly a combination of dehydration - honestly, it was like being on the equator or something - and getting used to a certain intensity/rep range. I hope to improve throughout the week.

I have to admit to being a little worried about where my 5RM is on bench and squat though.

Also, my calories have been kind of inconsistent lately and a bit on the low side maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom