Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Good mornings vs. SL deadlifts

DaCypher

It seems that most people prefer deadlifts over most ofther excerises because they work a lot of the body. However, when working the hams, glutes, and lower back while doing SL deadlifts, it seems like good mornings are very similar yet somewhat yet seldom used. Is there any reason for the lack of the good mornings popularity?

Here is how to do good mornings: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBBentKneeGoodMorning.html
And here is how to do stiff-legged deadlifts: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBStrBackStiffLegDeadlift.html

I think a lot of the problem is that they are not well known as well the fact that few people know how to do them correctly, ie, if you don't set your back properly then the stress tends to fall directly on the spine as opposed to the muscles around it. They are an excellent assistance exercise to help increase the strength of your deadlift and squat.

I agree that good mornings are a terrific exercise for the low back and hamstrings.I think they lack popularity because not many people have seen them done.They are primarily used by powerlifters and oly weightlifters.I've heard that back in the 60's and 70's, they were a staple exercise for most soviet and bulgarian weightlifters, who had tremendous lower back strength and pulling power, and dominated that sport for quite some time.This is one of those exercises that demand 100% concentration to insure proper form and injury prevention.A good variation is bottom-position good mornings performed in a power rack, either seated or standing.These have been great for building up my low back.

I like the animation of the woman doing good mornings. I really do.

And yeah, good mornings are excellent. I don't do them these days because my lower back already gets hit plenty from the SLDL's, squats, and deads that I do every week; I need all the recovery I can get. But they're tremendous, and if your lower back is the weak link in any of your big lifts, I think they're worth trying.

I started doing them when I hit a sticking point in my deads, I was stuck at 500lbs. Started doing good mornings on squat and back day (now realize that it was too much), but after 8 weeks was able to pull a 545lbs.
My worst injury also came from them as well. I have an abnormally strong lower back and pushed it too far on some 4 plate (405) triples on the goodmornings, lost my form on my last rep, slipped something in my lower back, then suffered debiliating pain in my lower back for the next year.

It seems it would also be rather easy to hurt yourself doing SL deads as well, or do good mornings put more stress on your lower back than SLDLs?

I find good mornings do put more stress on lower back for the simple reason that I can go far heavier on them. But they are the same in the way that if your back isn't set properly for the lift throughout every rep then you can fuck your back in a big way

Thats interesting.... Although with good mornings you're not limited by your grip/arm/upper back strength as you are with SL deads. That might be a good reason to try good mornings, to concentrate more on hams/lower back.

I cycle them in and out of my training, as soon as I start to get really strong on them I drop them as I don't want to risk that injury again, for the most part regular deads and heavy squats with no belt are all I do for back power

Top Bottom