Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Getting back in the gym and dieting...

m0bster

OK, here goes. Im new here, first post, so bare with me...I was a competitive powerlifter in College and also played college football. Once I left school, I stopped working out and started eating...you can imagine what happened. Now, Im sick of being this way. I went from 265 pounds of solid muscle (on a 5-8 frame) to flabby 320 and was diagnosed as a diabetic because of it (It is controlable with diet and excercise, which is why I am here).

I really want to shed these pounds and get to where I was at 15 years ago (JEEZE has it been 15 years since I was in college...DAMN!). I know it isnt going to be easy, but I do want to possibly compete again as a powerlifter. I picked up some Slim-Fast tonight and I am going to give this a go and get rid of some of this weight. I joined Golds and will start working out again beginning at 6:30am in the morning...I have made up my mind to get rid of this flab and get healthy and strong again...

My question is, what do you guys think I should be doing at first in the gym? Im thinking of just starting out for the first few weeks with cardio on the treadmill at a moderate pace, then hitting the weights with some light workouts (continuing also with the cardio...gonna continue the cardio throughout) for a week or so before really hitting them hard...do you think this would be a good way to get back into it, or am I rushing it by hitting the weights hard after only a week? I really want to make a go of this and am determined to get fit or die.

Any comments, suggestions, or advice will be really appreciated.

First off, Welcome to elite! Next, you sound like you have a good plan, you may want to post something on the training board, lots of good advice dispensed over there.

I would cut fats and carbs, increase protein. Start off slow in the gym with weights and cardio, then after a few weeks start to kick it into high gear.

Good luck bro!

I hope you were kidding about the Slimfast - it has loads of sugar, and doesn't teach you anything about portion control or eating clean.

Most of the people on this board eat things like lean meats and fish, cottage cheese, legumes, yams, oats, brown rice, fibrous veggies, and essential fatty acids such as the ones found in flax - basically nutrient-rich food that is processed as little as possible. If you're a diabetic (sounds like Type II from your post), that's an even better reason to get your carbs from clean sources, and not sugarry crap like Slimfast.

You're also going to have to begin counting calories, if you're not already. Multiply your bodyweight by 12, and that's a good ballpark figure for how many calories you should be ingesting to lose weight. You might want to look into getting some alpha lipoic acid (also called ALA). It's a glucose disposal agent, which means that it increases insulin sensitivity. Talk it over with your doctor first, though...

IMHO, cardio to start, and light weights after a few weeks isn't optimal, but they're better than nothing. If you're a former powerlifter, then you already know how to lift heavy. Try to get back to that. ;)

Hope this helps, and welcome.

hmmmm...good points ceeb. Would Weight Watchers be a better thing? I mean, they have that point system and my wife really wants me to do that one...but I am stubborn and dont want to give in to "weight watchers". I've also never really been one to count calories, but if I have to do it, I have to do it.

Personally, I have a problem with their point system. A friend gave me a copy of her booklet. I had figured out my calories needed for weight loss along the basis of a 50/25/25 diet (according to Mr. X I may even have underestimated my calories).

Anyway, I kept track for a week with the WW points and my totals through FitDay. I was constantly exceeding the WW points (I believe they assign more points to protein and fats) while still under my own levels.

Depending on how "off" their points are, I could see where you might even enter starvation mode. I think the problem here is although they allow extremely overweight people more calories, they don't really allow them enough.

Realize that you won't become as knowledgeable about food and what it contains/does to your body if you just look at points versus nutrients. I think the idea is okay, but I would double-check the number of calories the points allotted you or your wife.

I keep track of my calories on fitday.com, a free website. WW can be useful for people who need the accountability and inspiration of the weekly meetings. I think finding a WW Leader who fits your personality is important in this respect.

I tried Atkins before, but I craved the carbs a LOT and was feeling really sluggish while on it. Maybe I didnt give it a chance. Do you guys think I should give the low carb thing another chance? Do these diets work to KEEP the weight off, or is it just for the short term? Im tired of me being the way I am and ready to make a change, but I want it to be a life change.

Top Bottom