Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gaining Muscle - Excess Calories VS Slowing Metabolism

Gaining Muscle - Excess Calories VS Slowing Metabolism

Before I bring up my arguement, I want to enforce that I am stricktly talking about what is the best diet method for gaining muscle, just muscle. My dad had the worst ectomorph genetics at 5 ft 5 and he looks like a pro bodybuilder at 42 years of age eating only 1-2 times a day including deserts and sweets. Maybe like 50g of protein each day only too. He trains like 1-2 times a week, but he runs and play tennis frequently but he manages to keep at 6% body fat and a 250 lb bench at 146 lb. My whole thinking of excess calories, a bunch of protein, and daily caloiric need formulas feels like a whole waste of time.

Im really thinking of ditching the idea and just eating 4 times a day. Small breakfast, lunch, Mid-dinner and Dinner in attempt to slow down my metabolism and get just concentrate on training and stop thinking about protein shakes and all that crap that gets in the way of realistic successes.

By the way, I am 5 ft 8, 155 lbs at like 12% bf, narrow shoulders, long arms and skinny forearms. Big thighs though.

I have inattentive ADD so its really hard for me to stay on such a ridiculous diet of eating 6 times a day. I actually went through it for 4 months and gained 20 pounds mostly fat despite no sugar, low gi carbs, high protein. Maybe my ADD can't keep up with processing so much food each day, and my body might actually be better off gaining muscle at a slower metabolism. Right now I have a medium fast metabolism, meaning that at about 3-4 medium sized meals I am satiated.

I have realized that for gaining muscle, it might that i am an ectomorph, it is best to go on a high carb, medium protein, medium fat diet. For losing fat, go on a low carb - high protein - medium fat diet. I want to incorporate carb cycling because I believe in its magic, but with my inattention I'd rather leave it to when i get to a fat loss cycle.

I have no problem eating a lot of protein. Its just that, it never did anything and that natural bodybuilders should become more aware of protein's ineffectiveness and concentrate on low-gi carbs and MCT's. Or, better yet, just a lot of calories, and a lot of quality carbs. That's it, I am 100% convinced, carbs make the muscle. Protein is just an extra strain on the liver and a waste of time.

So what is everyone's take on whether its not such a bad idea to slow down the metabolism, don't eat like 4 hours before you workout, and eat like 2-3 times a day VS eating frequently and really big stricktly for gaining muscle. Not if your fat. If your fat its different. You should be eating frequently and hitting cardio and manipulating your diet often.

My Problem areas
soft stomach
really narrow shoulders
small chest

My plan

Rules:
No eating 2 hours before workout time
Post-workout meal within 30 minutes after work-out

Breakfast – 7:00am

Protein: 15g Carbs: 75g Fats: 3g

1.5 cup steel cut oats with stevia, cinnamon, and 1 tbsp coconut oil

Chewable calcium/magnesium: 2g/1g
Chewable Vitamin C: 3g
Decaf green, herbal, or black tea

Lunch – 10am

Protein: 50g Carbs: 75g Fats: 5g

Homemade Chicken Wrap in a whole wheat tortilla
With whole wheat pasta salad

Workout – 1:10pm – 2:00pm

Post-workout – 2:30pm

Protein: 70g Carbs: 75g Fats: 20g

Fried Stripped Bass/Chicken with fried potatoes/pan steamed rice
Emergency: Tuna Salad on whole wheat roll
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Dinner – 8pm

Protein: 70g Carbs: 20g Fats: 36g

Pan fried Lamb shoulder/chop, Strip Steak, or Veal Chop
Tomato, cucumber, onion, garlic and dill Salad
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Vitamin Stack – 11pm

Fats: 14g

Multivitamin with b-complex no iron
1 tbsp Carlson’s Fish oil

Totals:

Protein: 195g Carbs: 225g Fats: 78g

Protein: 780 calories
Carbs: 900 calories
Fats: 702 calories

Total:2,391 calories

It looks like a little, but metabolism adjusts no matter what...i know 6 pac bodybuilders eat once a day after workout and keep gaining......of course not really good gains, but you know........once a day vs 6 times a day and going crazy......i dnk

Training Plan

Day 1
Squat 5x5
Military 5x5
Barbell Row 4x5
2 sets weighted hypers
4 sets weighted situps

Day 2
Squat 4x5
Bench Press 4x5
Deadlift 4x5
3 sets weighted situps

Day 3
Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
Military 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
Pull-ups 4 sets
Weighted dips 4 x 5-8

I think more or less everything you have written is wrong and that if you're dad actually adhered to proper training and diet regimines he'd be able to bench a lot more. Honestly, I'm having trouble figuring out what to even make of your post.

Bottom line is this - Your approach is a lot different than what most people into fitness are doing so if you are adamant about sticking to your diet, I'm not sure how you think most people here will be able to help? I think you'll find mostly people disagree with you.

And if you are as short as you dad, then you are getting in a good number of calories each day so that is a big part of why that diet will work for you, though not optimally for fat loss.

don't forget............we are talking about bodybuilding........not power lifting..........if you see how naturally small my dad's complexion is then you would be surprised he can bench that much...............he did reps of 10-15 all the time......he never intended to powerlift

i am not looking for fat loss..............i am looking to gain muscle........if i eat more frequently, my metabolism will speed up so that means i will need more calories per day......so eating 6 meals a day i will need more calories to make the same gains as 4 meals a day............my question and arguement was, is if what i just said is true?

oh yeah, if that is your picture, then my dad's chest looks bigger and much better then yours....and it is more slabbed natural looking.........if my dad had good genetics he would really do good in the bodybuilding world........he trained everyday and ran up to two times a day.........he makes me disbelieve in over-training and not running when you gain muscle.......all his muscle looks very natural and he doesn't suck wind like most bodybuilders

Nothing you said is true. We've been through this arguement with you a 100 times. If you think it makes so much sense do it already so you can prove yourself wrong and come to your senses.

The only idea you have that is somewhat on base is that amount of times don't necessarily matter. You used to see BBers eat huge meals 3 times a day to get in all their calories.. you'd go to a restaurant and they'd be ordering half the menu... Your daily caloric intake matters much more than amount of times you break it into.. BUT.. everything else you said is so offbase it's ridiculous.

YoungIntricateMuscle said:
oh yeah, if that is your picture, then my dad's chest looks bigger and much better then yours....and it is more slabbed natural looking.........if my dad had good genetics he would really do good in the bodybuilding world........he trained everyday and ran up to two times a day.........he makes me disbelieve in over-training and not running when you gain muscle.......all his muscle looks very natural and he doesn't suck wind like most bodybuilders

Dude, go ask your dad for help. As a general rule of thumb, ask who you want to look like when trying to build a better body. I am apparently of no help to you.

i am not stating facts

I am asking for some insight and your own thoughts to my theory

Ectomorphs metabolisms are fast right?

Then why make it faster by eating 6-8 meals a day instead of 4 big meals which may even slow down the metabolism.

Small meals are good for mesomorphs and endomorphs, no argument at all.

Just give me proof. You talk back but you don't show proof for anything.

Why do you think protein is more important then low gi carbs and MCT's???? 150g-200 of protein is enough per day. Plenty of high level trainers agree.

As for my dad, he told me he would get up at 5am, run for 2-3 miles, do pull-ups with 5 different variations, do 3 sets x 50 reps pushups, and finally box. Then he would work on an intensely physically demanding job moving and selling raw fur/skin (back in the day for his pop's business). After that he would workout again with weights, doing supersets, and comprehensive varitations of both compound and isolation exercises. He would work out 3-4 hours a day, everday. And eat only 2 times a day. His health was very bad when he was young and he was sickly skinny. He said working out like this got him out of his weak condition. He gets complamaints of being an athlete rather the usual, "you work out, meathead."

Back in the day in Russia, that was all possible for him because of the time he had and the inimportance of school. But here, with schooling and hectic american scheduling it is really hard to devote so much time and energy to working out. Especially doing it at a local gym with people around you waiting their turn. It sucks nowadays, and the bodybuilding theory is getting too complex because in reality without roids most of the theories will be nonexisting.

YoungIntricateMuscle said:
i am not stating facts

I am asking for some insight and your own thoughts to my theory

Ectomorphs metabolisms are fast right?

Then why make it faster by eating 6-8 meals a day instead of 4 big meals which may even slow down the metabolism.

Small meals are good for mesomorphs and endomorphs, no argument at all.

Just give me proof. You talk back but you don't show proof for anything.

Why do you think protein is more important then low gi carbs and MCT's???? 150g-200 of protein is enough per day. Plenty of high level trainers agree.

As for my dad, he told me he would get up at 5am, run for 2-3 miles, do pull-ups with 5 different variations, do 3 sets x 50 reps pushups, and finally box. Then he would work on an intensely physically demanding job moving and selling raw fur/skin (back in the day for his pop's business). After that he would workout again with weights, doing supersets, and comprehensive varitations of both compound and isolation exercises. He would work out 3-4 hours a day, everday. And eat only 2 times a day. His health was very bad when he was young and he was sickly skinny. He said working out like this got him out of his weak condition. He gets complamaints of being an athlete rather the usual, "you work out, meathead."

Back in the day in Russia, that was all possible for him because of the time he had and the inimportance of school. But here, with schooling and hectic american scheduling it is really hard to devote so much time and energy to working out. Especially doing it at a local gym with people around you waiting their turn. It sucks nowadays, and the bodybuilding theory is getting too complex because in reality without roids most of the theories will be nonexisting.

Do you honestly think this hasn't been studied 100 thousand times? I could find you studies but you haven't even looked from the sounds of things, so why should I? One in particular comes to mind that looked at the effects of weight training on various groups eating different things over a certain period of time. One group was low protein, the other was high protein, etc. Some groups grew significantly more than others. They've looked at it all and the results are in. To draw a comparison, this is more or less like asking, "How do you KNOW steroids work?" Only there are specific studies in this case to supoprt the importance of protein.

The problem is you aren't reading, you are talking. Go read. You'll learn the answers for yourself. I don't think many others will post on here until you post up a study that supports YOUR view points since, my man, you are way in the minority here.

And finally, the issue could be that 150-200g of protein a day is far from low - so maybe you think you are arguing for low protein but aren't in effect. I don't even know how to offer anything constructive other than that.

Top Bottom