Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Funny - Quads Gym

M

MadCow1

This is sort of neat -

I trained with a friend of mine at Quads in Chicago late winter this year. They have a full set of bumper plates upstairs and I was doing some cleans. Since they had the bumpers I figured I'd drop the ones over 100 kilos as I hate putting them back down like I have to do in my own gym.

Anyway - I warm up and then get heavy enough to start dropping them and after the 1st rep the manager comes running back yelling "What the hell is going on!?". Keep in mind this is the building's 2nd story so the whole place is shaking when the weight hits the ground.

He explains that I can't drop them due to the structure and I ask him what Ed Coan and the other strong lifters do (not that I fit in anywhere near this category). He says he yells at them also when they're deadlifting or cleaning and the weights hit the ground too hard.

I tell him I won't drop them anymore and suggest to him that he should put the bumpers on the large ground floor which is almost all cardio and that he could even have a platform down there for lifting.

A friend called me a few weeks ago to let me know that they just built a lifting platform on the groundfloor and moved the bumpers downstairs.

Could just be coincidence but I thought it sort of neat. Can't wait to try it out next time I'm there.

hey thats great

why dont you come to my gym and convice my owner to add some plates to his machines.....

sometimes i think he is trying to run a fitness center than a gym

Yeah, I am like one of the only ones who uses chalk as well. I have to borrow it form this guy that works there and I think he wants me to start bringing my own lol.....I agree, our gym needs to quit being a fitness center, we have alot of juiced bb's in there but no one who really does any powerlifting.

instead of chalk I bring in Tums, those calcium tabs, they are small and you just rub it on the bar, it works well and nobody notices........plus it doesnt make a mess

I remember back when I used to train in a commercial gym. This pencil necked trainer with no visible signs of a muscle anywhere came up and told me that I needed to sit the weights down softer when I'm deadlifting. I was 19 at the time and told him "OK man...next time I see you deadlifting 500lbs...I expect you to sit it down nice and softly too." He said...I won't be deadlifting 500lbs. I said..."I didn't think that you would be"...and just walked off.

B True

good answer

I am lucky enough that when I go to the gym the manager will supply chalk when you need it. I usually bring my own, but it is nice to be able to. It also is probably the only gym in this state with both a glute ham raise and a reverse hyper. The bars could be better, but they are decent enough and enough of the plates are weighed and marked so when you go for a pr, you know what you going for. It is one of the best small town gyms I have ever seen, heck one of the best gyms period.

Top Bottom