Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Does stretching affect lactic acid build up?

Phenomena, et al:

First, I am not a sprinter. You must have mistaken me for somebody else, but my 100 metre dash would certainly not outrun anyone faster than a drunk, three-legged hippo. I do kickboxing and MA, and yes lactic acid build-up is a crucial element of fatigue here.

Now, what I have found so far is that "massage" not stretching has significant effects on DOMS and circulation but no effect, or only minimal effect on lactic acid build up.

From personal experience I have found that heavy stretching does reduce DOMS.

Thanks for looking into this matter.

hardgainer (still looking)

This is my second bump in a row on my own thread, I got a bad feeling that we're not going to get a conclusive answer to this question.

hardgainer ( :( )

I remember my lecturer saying that some felt that stretching helped them overcome the effects of doms but there was no scientific proof of this, as for lactate being affected by stretching who knows.

Hmmmm, I am beginning to think you may be right. Perhaps there is NO answer. Now that would really suck, I hope some smart sports-physio-scientist guy or gal figures out a conclusive answer for this one and writes a detailed study about it.

hardgainer (pump)

absolute hardgainer said:
This thread is going to get bumped until I get a friggin' answer!

hardgainer ( :mad: )

uh oh... he's getting mad... sorry, i forgot that i was going to keep looking into this... personally i'm curious too, i hate it when i can't find the answers to things... i'll keep looking and you keep bumping, maybe i'll find the answer or someone else will take pity on us and help us out????

(i'm starting to think that the answer is no and that the studies quoted are urban legends... but i will NOT give up, just yet at least)

It's ok Phenomena, the :mad: was meant humorously. Thanks for looking into this anyhow, I am not sure if there are any actual 'studies' in existence on this issue.
If you can find something please share it.

hardgainer (will continue looking)

here's a quote from this article

"Remember it is very important to stretch before any strenuous exercise in order to warm the muscles so that you will not damage them and cool down afterwards to stop the build up of lactic acid in the muscle and so cut down on muscle stiffness"

(from http://www.tenosce.com/nervous.html)

but maybe this is because by stretching, you're allowing more blood flow and thus more oxygen, and with more oxygen ur less likely to produce lactic acid? been a while since phys ed so i'm probably off mark.

I've come across a few articles that state that stretching between sets has been shown to increase anabolism but nothing really yet on lactic acid. I can quote the articles if you like.

Thanks for the article succession, interesting. However I assume that the statement on lactic acid build up is nothing more than an educated guess.

hardgainer (still looking)

Top Bottom