Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Does stretching affect lactic acid build up?

Thanks Phenomena, some good articles there I think.

I am leaning towards the conclusion that whilst stretching does help reduce DOMS it doesn't actually have any affect of the level of lactic acid in your muscles.

hardgainer (still looking)

You know, this is a very good question.

My opinion: It would actually add to lactic acid build-up because lactic acid is a product on muscular contraction. Even though stretching isn't really a contraction (i.e. shortening fibers), it does cause contractile acticity albeit eccentric.

Dammit, just as I was leaning in one direction you come up with a very good point. Now that you mention it, I wonder if long periods of stretching could actually significantly add to lactic acid build up. From memory, when I was doing martial arts sessions that involved a lot of stretching, say for about 60 minutes of leg stretching. This did not apparently reduce lactic acid - but I have to consider that the stretching would take place after hours of hard physical work, like kicking and sparring, which already fatigued the legs.

hardgainer (let's keep this bumping)

Top Bottom