Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Does stretching affect lactic acid build up?

My brother has a problem when he playes soccer. He has lactic acid induced cramps which force him to leave the pitch. He was informed by the teams physio to stretch every time he gets a chance because the lactic acid is removed when a muscle is streched.

He had some little book that im trying to find....but im not having any luck.

But everything i have ever heard has been based on heresay and "common knowledge" with no scientific back up. (like the girl at the health food shop i fancy "stretching to remove lactic acid is like sqeezing a sponge to get rid of liquid")

My brother said the stretching helps and he can play a full game. It hasent got better though he always has the cramps at one point or another(out side of soccer).....so its not a permanent repair, just relief

I STILL haven't found the "studies" that are referred to, but i think that, in the case of bodybuilding, lactic acid is really irrelevant... it goes away within an hour or two of working the muscle... and i did find numerous studies that provide that Lactic Acid had no relation on DOMS...

now, Hardgainer, i remember you saying you were/are a sprinter, so i can see how that would make a difference for you (an hour is an eternity for a sprinter :) , but i'm still at a loss for this study... i'll ask a few of my friends that are in med school and see if they can dig something up for me...

haven't forgotten about ya though :)

Phenomena - go to a site such as Medline or pubmed and type in the name of the study.

Personally, I don't think stretching will have much of an effect. If a large amount of ATP production was required to perform an exercise (anaerobic glycolysis mechanism) then light activity would be of benefit because it would require the body to use some of the lactic acid to fuel the light activity which means less lactic acid in the muscle. This activity must be light enough not to involve any anaerobic mechanisms of energy production as this would only serve to further deplete ATP in the muscles prolonging the recovery period.

Cackerot69 said:
Phenomena - go to a site such as Medline or pubmed and type in the name of the study.

Personally, I don't think stretching will have much of an effect. If a large amount of ATP production was required to perform an exercise (anaerobic glycolysis mechanism) then light activity would be of benefit because it would require the body to use some of the lactic acid to fuel the light activity which means less lactic acid in the muscle. This activity must be light enough not to involve any anaerobic mechanisms of energy production as this would only serve to further deplete ATP in the muscles prolonging the recovery period.

i'd love to search for the study, but i don't know the name of it!!! :( All i can find is quotes that say "According to studies... blah blah blah"

i'll keep looking though

Phemomena said:

i'd love to search for the study, but i don't know the name of it!!! :( All i can find is quotes that say "According to studies... blah blah blah"

i'll keep looking though

Because, more often than not, the studies say nothing of the sort. "creative intepretation" seems to be the rule, here.

Belial said:

Because, more often than not, the studies say nothing of the sort. "creative intepretation" seems to be the rule, here.

yeah, this has been my concern since the beginning, but hey... it gives me something to do when i'm supposed to be working :)

Phenomena, lactic acid isn't irrelevant to bb. I think it has immediate effects on increasing cortisol levels in the body but positive longer term effects (elevates other hormones beneficial for muscle growth) that might outway the negative immediate effects. I think that's right. But bottom line is it does play some role in hormone levels.

Nathan said:
Phenomena, lactic acid isn't irrelevant to bb. I think it has immediate effects on increasing cortisol levels in the body but positive longer term effects (elevates other hormones beneficial for muscle growth) that might outway the negative immediate effects. I think that's right. But bottom line is it does play some role in hormone levels.

didn't know that... i was just trying to debunk the myth that it is lactic acid that causes DOMS.... thanks for the info, learn something new every day :)

Top Bottom