Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you guys believe in 'shocking' the muscle

Tom Treutlein said:
It's amazing how some times people overcomplicate things needlessly. Science is correct many times, but it's taken too far when we tend to overlook the most basic, sensible ideas. That is one of the best things I learned from DC. It just makes sense. Obviously, training with triples will probably yield strength without size, but that's due to the extreme nerual activity and lack of breakdown of the muscle fibers. I believe so, anyway.

Right..i think thats why it important for people to include some sort of strength training..for some getting stronger will not equal new size right away..however if you take that new strength and put it into a program that has worked for you in the past how can you not get bigger??

In train-I agree most people are comfy with x weight..there are only a handful that i really see try push their limits in my gym..

WD30 said:
I hope u are joking, repetetive style movements ie excersises ,are of no good my freind.
Change it up often

Incorrect. Sorry to disappoint you, but your muscles aren't clever organisms that need to be caught off guard.

Tom Treutlein said:
Right, but your CNS is and things need to be switched up to progress in strength most effectively.

Evidence for this? I truly don't see how the CNS would work like that.

switching up all the time like most trainees do just prevents you from nailing down the technique. It's retarded, what is the leg extension or back raise going to give you that constant diet of heavy squats can't ?

I do like to switch rep ranges and sub, say, sumo deads for bent leg deads but thats a mental thing, you burn out trying to constantly better yourself on the same routine/ rep pattern every week so it makes sense to switch to an almost identical exercise.

Like bench to dips or decline, not bench to cable flyes or pec dec

squats always stay but every couple of months I do a leg wo with just the leg press for a mental break

intial rapid adaption to a new exercise thru increased neuro-muscular effieciency and improved technique aint muscle growth

Tom Treutlein said:
Right, but your CNS is and things need to be switched up to progress in strength most effectively.

My initial reaction's similar to Debaser's, but I must ask: what exactly do you have in mind by "switching things up," how often must that be done, and how does one know they're progressing "most effectively"? :)

The quotation marks make me sound sarcastic, which is far from my intention *frowns*

Instead, what I'm getting at is, it might be that we're largely in agreement; yet, our respective understandings of ideal progress and/or "switching things up" might be different.

I think those kinds of things really need to be defined clearly if we're to discuss them...what, for instance, constitutes switching things up; e.g., adding weight, changing rep tempo, exercises, sets, TUL, frequency, intensity, etc.?

This is definately true. Your muscles become accustomed to the same exercises. Replace bench w/ flies, and squats with lunges or leg presses. Theres so many goddamn exercises man. . . buy a book or check out an exercise directory on the net.

Aeoleon said:
This is definately true. Your muscles become accustomed to the same exercises. Replace bench w/ flies, and squats with lunges or leg presses. Theres so many goddamn exercises man. . . buy a book or check out an exercise directory on the net.

There may be many exercises, but for legs WHAT IS GOING TO MAKE YOUR LEGS GROW MORE than a squat? I really can't think of any other exercise....I could do this with every muscle group pretty much....

I see people like this all the time who are constantly changing from one useless exercise to another, thinking they are going to get some additional growth. One week they are doing incline bench(a good exercise!) next flies, next pec deck, next crossovers, next hammer strength..Have they gained anything on the exercise that is optimal for building the chest(inclines)..no!

I just realized I kind of paraphrased something DC said there but it makes so much sense....there is a reason DCers only use 3 exercises and rotate them after they get stuck on 1 exercise(correct me if I am wrong DCers)....and there is also a reason these exercises are compound....they recruit the most muscle fibers and give the best gains

Aeoleon said:

Muscles don't 'become accustomed.' You and Tom are using very sloppy, imprecise language here.

I do believe that some people think switching up is necessary to aide in recruiting new fibers (tearing ones that you aren't normally tearing), but I believe that if you do the right exercises the right way, you are basically at your max and should be hitting the full spectrum of each muscle to tear it everywhere possible.

Compound exercises are ideal for this - hitting primary and ancilliary muscles. Probably the most ideal exercise for this is the deadlift.

Top Bottom