Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you guys believe in 'shocking' the muscle

vinylgroover

or mixing exercises up?

I've always been a big believer that there are only so many useful exercises one can do for packing on mass and therefore my core lifts ie bench, squat, deadlift, pull-ups, dips, militaries etc always remain in my routine.

I am always hearing from armchair experts that one muct 'shock' the muscle into growth by periodically changing up the exercises. What do you replace squats or deadlifts or bench with that are just as productive?

Is it ok to keep largely the same routine in terms of the exercises performed, but just change the way the are performed ie:using different set and rep schemes?

Is it all just BS?

Interested in hearing from you guys.

Not BS. In all lifting sports(bodybuilding, strongman, powerlifting) athletes switch their routine up to get stronger. For instance, a powerlifter might switch up the way he does deadlift or how far he pulls the weight from. They also might add chains or bands to thier core lifts. You can still keep your core lifts in by doing them a little different every week or so. Have you ever noticed, someone might have shown you a new exercise you haven't done before and it might have made you sore the next day? I AM a believer in swtiching things up.

I usually keep the same core exercises, but I do change the reps, and sets up. After about 6-8 weeks I might change their position in the workout. For example, I will go from having flat bench first to hitting inclines first, or even change from bb's to db's. I will change my secondary exercises like incline flyes, and replace them with cable crossovers, pec dec, HS wide chest, or something else.

One of the most important things that I have learned in training is to keep an open mind. If I see something different that might fit into my workout I will give it a shot.

I like compound movements for the majority of the routine.....of course I won't always do the same set\rep scheme but like you said a number of exercises are always in the routine....

The only "shocking" treatment I can think of is a planned layoff ala HST....not lifting for 7-10 days and then going back again....some say this allows the muscles to grow off of a lower weight than previously done....

vinylgroover said:
Is it ok to keep largely the same routine in terms of the exercises performed, but just change the way the are performed ie:using different set and rep schemes?

this is what has been working for me personally
but i know a few who dont really change anything and make improvements

i say try changing things up and see if it works for you

BOTH, change and shock will help you to grow.

Every now and again you need to change some of the exercises you do to stimulate your muscle. However, changing the reps and order of your routine is helpful too.

I think that the phrase "shocking your muscles" is a little bit stupid. It is all over the popular bodybuilding magazines though, but you need to be able to read through the lines and see what applies to you and what doesn't.

Most beginners and even intermediates, whether you are a BB or strength athlete, should focus on building a base. An individual in those stages will gain more by improving their squat from 225x5 to 315x5 or by improving their bench press from 205 to 300, not by getting bored with basics when their bench press is 185x2 and doing all sorts of crap like smith machine presses and low cable crossovers and hammer strength decline presses. This stuff has no carryover to the core lifts and that should be the focus of all beginner and intermediate trainees.

In terms of bodybuilding, if you are preparing for a contest or on a cutting diet with the goal of getting into contest shape, then crossovers, and flies and pec deck have a place, if you want to get lines/striations in the muscle. But, these exercises dp not build size or strength, so if you are not dieting so that you will be able t osee the lines, you're wasting your time.

As far as strength training (and off-season bodybuilding/bulking) Once you reach an advanced level of strength, the body will tend to stall and not make progress doing the same old things. Then you can substitute flat bench for incline or push press for military press of front squat for back squat. As far as assistance work goes, if your barbell curl is 120 for 3 sets of 8 and you aren't getting stronger/bigger after doing this for 4 weeks, it is my OPINION that your body has adapted and you should either add weight and decrease reps or switch to something similar for awhile like d-bell curls and do the barbell curls for 2 high rep sets with light weight when you're done. This would be something different to adapt to, hence "shocking" your muscles, as much as I hate that term.

However, when I said read between the lines above, I mean this. If your bench is stuck and you do this week in and week out, then something has to change. Either switch to incline or colse-grip or lockouts or floor presses or some other like movement or change the rep scheme and your bench will make improvements, the change/shock will be good. I disagree with people who feel shocking the muscle is to do 35 sets of every conceivable type of flye, crossover, and machine press just to get sore. You can do 125 reps with 10 lbs on a pec deck and feel pumped and sore and 'shocked' but you will accomplish nothing.

A lot of this is my opinion, but it is philosophies that have worked for me, so I hope I helped some.

Debaser said:

then whats the point of taking 9-14 days off before starting HST?

if your muscles are deconditioned and then u go into a routine, they will be shocked, and grow.

Top Bottom