Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts & traps

I'm in the 20RM club for both deads and squats.

But when I do them it is for a specific reason.

1) I only do this once every 6 weeks in place of my regular dead or squat workout.
2) I do no other assistance exercises that workout
3) I do it with roughly 70% of my max
4) I do 20 sets (after a warmup)

I have found that when I do this, I can break through any barrier I may be having. It also is a shock to my CNS that is done intentionally, usually before I make the move up to a heavier cycle of working sets.

Finally, it is my way to commune with God as you may understand him/her. Around rep 15 of the second set, I swear I see him.her and I just keep doing what I am told to do by him/her.

I say this all with the caveat, that it is not for everyone, and you need to know your body better than anything, and you need to have some serious experience under your belt.

The old timers called these "Milk & 20's" because they would drink a glass of milk immediately after the 20th rep.

B-

One of my offseason sessions once a month was to superset 20 rep squats with 20 rep deads. Lots of fun...and vomit.

One of my offseason sessions once a month was to superset 20 rep squats with 20 rep deads. Lots of fun...and vomit.

Yes!!

I'm in the 20RM club for both deads and squats.

But when I do them it is for a specific reason.

1) I only do this once every 6 weeks in place of my regular dead or squat workout.
2) I do no other assistance exercises that workout
3) I do it with roughly 70% of my max
4) I do 20 sets (after a warmup)

I have found that when I do this, I can break through any barrier I may be having. It also is a shock to my CNS that is done intentionally, usually before I make the move up to a heavier cycle of working sets.

Finally, it is my way to commune with God as you may understand him/her. Around rep 15 of the second set, I swear I see him.her and I just keep doing what I am told to do by him/her.

I say this all with the caveat, that it is not for everyone, and you need to know your body better than anything, and you need to have some serious experience under your belt.

The old timers called these "Milk & 20's" because they would drink a glass of milk immediately after the 20th rep.

B-

20 sets at what rep range?

For traps, the best exercise is good old barbell shrugs. Make sure you use straps, because your shoulders will always be stronger than your forearms. I never dead with straps, that is for wussies (except if it's Ronnie's famous 800 pound set on youtube!) I always do sets of 20 on shrugs, and I go up to 495 pounds. Deads work many muscles, but the bread and butter from them is lower back and core strength. I weigh 205 and can deadlift 535 strapless right now (prob could get 550, haven't tried lately though.) I stick in the 1-10 rep range for deadlifts, but have gone higher, not anymore(puke!) My main focus lately has been squats. I've only been deadlifting once a month, but I miss doing them more often. My traps aren't bad, people have complimented me before. My picture is in the pics section under summer pictures, if you want to check them out. Good luck bro... Scotty

There is nothing at all wrong with 20 reps on deads gentleman. If your form is correct, its the exact same as 2 sets of 10, accept a higher level of trauma.

And future, I wasn't suggesting deadlifting heavily twice a week. Or if I was, that's not what I meant. And that advice is strictly ON cycle (for me), while NOT in any kind of calorie deficit. I heal quite nicely. No injuries to report. And I do cardio constantly, and lactic acid has never really been a problem.

Top Bottom