Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Calves...

Super Halo Man

Anyone else blast them out with only 4 sets? I work them every other day and do this superset with calves and traps on the standing toe press machine. Everyone thinks I am nuts with the final set having me do calves as such...

Lift and pause for 10 seconds, down a pause for 10 seconds, 5 quick reps, lift pause, drop pause, 5 quick, last ep being a pause rep. Try it out.

:destroy:

Punish them!

I've found that my calves respond to killer super sets. This is the only way they seem to get any impact and grow. Prior to this I only did regular sets, and never literally feel the burn.
I do incline stand-ups: start with 220 lbs. and go down from there until I hit 50 or 40 lbs. They look swollen after that. 3 of those super sets.
Then proceed onto the seated calf raising, and so on.
Corsaire.

Ah yes, but that is all I will do for calves... if I feel like doing more, then I will slam another set or two out, but 4 usually cuts it. Like yesterday...

SuperSet:
1: 180 lbs. (25 reps each)
2: 360 lbs. (20 reps each)
3: 720 lbs. (Power set) (15 reps each)
4: 360 lbs. (Pause set) (Traps to failure, 13 Calf reps with pause reps)

:destroy:

On the subject of calves, my gym doesn't have a seated calf machine. Is there any way of exercising that muscle with other equipment? I already do calf raises on the leg press but I heard seated calf raises exercise a different muscle.

THanks,

JC

I've found that descriptions of all the best exercises generally end with "people look at me like I'm nuts"

I'll have to give it a try! :D

Forrest

joncrane said:
On the subject of calves, my gym doesn't have a seated calf machine. Is there any way of exercising that muscle with other equipment? I already do calf raises on the leg press but I heard seated calf raises exercise a different muscle.

THanks,

JC
Yes, seated calf raises hit the soleus muscle which runs from you ankle and is underneath the gastrocnemius. You can always take set a barbell with weights on your lower thighs when sitting down and raise your feet up. I would put something underneath your feet so that you can get a full stretch and range of motion.

You will probably never take my advice...BUT...take your car in the gym parking lot or the street by your house...get behind it...and spring/push it as far as you can. Get down low and drive with your legs and calves. Do 1-4 sets of these...really push yourself.

Take it for what it is worth...

B True

Hmm...I usually work my calves once a week...but am about to up that.

I usually do 5 sets of 10-12 reps with heavy weight. For some reason my calves can handle a lot of weight...grow suckers, grow!!!

i do calves on tuesdays with abs:

Standing calf raise: 4 sets 25 reps
Donkey calf raise: 4 sets 20 reps

and on saturdays with legs:

Seated calf raise: 4 sets 30 reps
Legpress calf raise: 4 sets 20 reps

dude--that's a good idea. Plus it has the advantage of targeting each calf individually. I'll try it on Monday.

b-fold-I used to do that all the time when I was a mechanic and we had to bring a car into the bays that was kaput for some reason. Plus I don't drive to the gym, it's only a couple blocks away! :)

Top Bottom