Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

As A Diabetic What Exactly Am I Cursed With When Bodybuilding?

Tonkabosh

I figured this would be the best place to put this thread. If it's in the wrong section, I apologise. Anyway...

I'm a male, 21 years old and have been an Insulin Dependent Diabetic since I was 9 years old. At the age of 15 I started messing around with weights etc, until finally a year or so later I decided to become serious in regards to bodybuilding. I'm 5,10" and started off at around 175lbs/25% bodyfat & am now at 230lbs/16% bodyfat, yet I'm still not happy with my progress to be honest. It may look good on paper, but having been training for around 6 years now I feel I could have made so much better gains.

I am 100% dedicated to my bodybuilding lifestyle, and spend most of the day either planning meals, preparing them, weighing my foods and training etc. Even on my days off I'm researching information on bodybuilding & nutrition. It may all be in my head, but I honestly believe my diabetes is holding me back somehow. To be honest I don't really know much about how Insulin Dependent Diabetes affects gains in regards to bodybuilding and so I've come on here to see if anybody else knows how exactly having diabetes can affect bodybuilding results etc.

For example, can having diabetes make it much harder to lose fat? Can it make it much harder to add muscle etc? If so, knowing WHY exactly would be a great help. My all time goal is to look like Branch Warren or a similar IFBB pro bodybuilder, or even to get remotely close to looking like that. I realise it takes great genetics & dedication, but like I said if I could even come remotely close to looking like that I'd be EXTREMELY happy. I often just sit at home and get so angry at the fact I have diabetes because I have to face facts that it's most likely conflicting somehow with my goals and the fact that I want to progress as far as I can in bodybuilding.

Anyway, like I said above, if you guys know of any reasons why having diabetes can make it harder to lose fat and/or gain muscle (such as my pancreas being unable to produce insulin?) I'd very much appreciate knowing. And finally, if you know of any reason why diabetes will prevent me from ever looking 'remotely' like an IFBB pro I'd like to know about it. Maybe having a working pancreas is ABSOLUTELY essential to attaining a great muscular looking physique? I don't know.

Thanks in advance!

Questions:

Are you insulin dependent Type 1, Type 1.5 or Type 2? I'm assuming it's type 1 based on the age you became ID.

What insulin are you on? What's your regimen? Do you know your ratios (carbs to insulin)?

What is your diet like?

The more descriptive and detailed you are the better. Having diabetes can make things difficult - not just physiologically (insulin resistance for one), but also caloric intake wise. But insulin can be your friend, if used right.

I figured this would be the best place to put this thread. If it's in the wrong section, I apologise. Anyway...

I'm a male, 21 years old and have been an Insulin Dependent Diabetic since I was 9 years old. At the age of 15 I started messing around with weights etc, until finally a year or so later I decided to become serious in regards to bodybuilding. I'm 5,10" and started off at around 175lbs/25% bodyfat & am now at 230lbs/16% bodyfat, yet I'm still not happy with my progress to be honest. It may look good on paper, but having been training for around 6 years now I feel I could have made so much better gains.

I am 100% dedicated to my bodybuilding lifestyle, and spend most of the day either planning meals, preparing them, weighing my foods and training etc. Even on my days off I'm researching information on bodybuilding & nutrition. It may all be in my head, but I honestly believe my diabetes is holding me back somehow. To be honest I don't really know much about how Insulin Dependent Diabetes affects gains in regards to bodybuilding and so I've come on here to see if anybody else knows how exactly having diabetes can affect bodybuilding results etc.

For example, can having diabetes make it much harder to lose fat? Can it make it much harder to add muscle etc? If so, knowing WHY exactly would be a great help. My all time goal is to look like Branch Warren or a similar IFBB pro bodybuilder, or even to get remotely close to looking like that. I realise it takes great genetics & dedication, but like I said if I could even come remotely close to looking like that I'd be EXTREMELY happy. I often just sit at home and get so angry at the fact I have diabetes because I have to face facts that it's most likely conflicting somehow with my goals and the fact that I want to progress as far as I can in bodybuilding.

Anyway, like I said above, if you guys know of any reasons why having diabetes can make it harder to lose fat and/or gain muscle (such as my pancreas being unable to produce insulin?) I'd very much appreciate knowing. And finally, if you know of any reason why diabetes will prevent me from ever looking 'remotely' like an IFBB pro I'd like to know about it. Maybe having a working pancreas is ABSOLUTELY essential to attaining a great muscular looking physique? I don't know.

Thanks in advance!

I have a few friends that are Diabetic. They use it to there advantage and actually stay pretty lean year round. It seems almost as if they have a easier time packing on muscle as well.

Check out WWW.DIABETICMUSCLE.COM - mikesmain

just because you have a condtion like diabetes it doesnt mean that you are doomed as an athelete. In fact, you are doing the best thing you can do for yourself by staying lean and muscular. Keep doing what you are doing now and diabetes won't really be a big issue for you as you age.

AFAIK, diabetics are like endomorphs. A diabetic can pack muscle on easier since his carbs will be digested/regulated by the insulin he takes. Not only does this mean you can get away with more carbs, it means you can eat more food to pack on muscle since insulin is anabolic/adds muscle.
^I recall Ronnie Coleman eating white rice,corn bread and BBQ sauce on his steak at a local steakhouse; he also washed it down with soda. I assume he eats all those carbs from the insulin/ILGF-1 he takes.

The downside of insulin is that it hampers fat loss-considering you're diabetic, it stops you going on ketosis/no-carb diets. Even low carb diets may be a problem for you.

It's a double bladed sword.

BTW-you sound like you've made excellent progress. Slow and steady will win the race.

Top Bottom