Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone ever train like this?

ProtienFiend

This idea actually just popped up in my head the other day.

Instead of doing 3 sets of 3-4 exercises for a body part, what if one performed 9-12 sets of one exercise (or how ever many sets you want to do)?

For example, on chest day one does 12 sets of incline bench at varying weights.

Sounds logical in theory but has anyone ever put this to the test and seen results (either positive or negative)?

Thanks for all responses
PF

I've done something similar - i.e. 6 sets of the same exercise per bodypart, and that's it. I usually do it when I need to save time and don't want to switch stations and wait for someone to get out of my way. It is just easier to monopolize one station (I still let people work-in if they want to). I don't think of it as a way to make crazy gains, but more of a way to maximize my time in the gym, and also as a way to mix it up and try something different. Because I am not varying the movements, I vary the set length, say 2 short/heavy, 2 medium/medium and 2 light/long. In terms of my "results", not disapointed but not impressed either - which is what I expected. It is a very valid way of doing something slightly different to shock your mucsles, but I wouldn't live by it, just like you shouldn't live solely by what you find works awesome for you, because it will only be temporary. When I do this, I also usually pick bigger exercises, like squats, pull-ups, dips, etc. vs. leg-extensions, rear-flys, kick-backs, although if you can get a good workout with a "smaller" exercise, I don't see what would be wrong with it if again, you aren't living by it.

It will work.

But i've always said this and always will.

90% of training strategies work. But what you have to do is periodize training.

Right now I train in a manner that most would say is overtraining. I don't think so, I think when the results stop comming ill switch it up, to HST, or Old school or something.

Im not sure if people really knopw how to train. I mean every one says all books are bs but shot the fukn people that are in them are jacked. I think maybe alot of people are hyped over 1 work set and their lazy asses are undertraining. I hit it more now than ever and have for a while. I notice 4 or 5sets and some thing twice a week have me growing more now than ever....So to each their own but I understand what your saying.
The old squat routine with 20 reps they say is one of the best and thats all you do on leg day? How could you not adapt and grow ???

ProtienFiend said:
This idea actually just popped up in my head the other day.

Instead of doing 3 sets of 3-4 exercises for a body part, what if one performed 9-12 sets of one exercise (or how ever many sets you want to do)?

For example, on chest day one does 12 sets of incline bench at varying weights.

Sounds logical in theory but has anyone ever put this to the test and seen results (either positive or negative)?

Thanks for all responses
PF

you wont be able to work with max weight if your doing 9-12 sets..take benching if you hit a max or near max for the 5 set whats the point of doing another 7 sets after that..you would be better off hitting a different angle!!

Sure it would probably be fine. People may have wizened up to "hit it from different angles" training, but the practice of including many redundant exercises still runs rampant.

wnt2bBeast said:
you wont be able to work with max weight if your doing 9-12 sets..take benching if you hit a max or near max for the 5 set whats the point of doing another 7 sets after that..you would be better off hitting a different angle!!

I see what you're saying about not being to give it your all after doing a max, but are ANY of your sets really going to be as good as before doing a max - even when doing different exercises (Squat... then quad extending, or flat bench then incline). Your still using the same primary muscle, but with some different secondary muscles when you switch up exercises, thus I feel performance would decline no matter what you're doing after.

And as casualbb was saying, there really is no "angle"... a muscle either contracts or it doesn't. Period.

PF

Yes, my Max Effort day on Westside I do similar to this.

It is quite common for me to do 12+ sets of the same ME exercise - although several of these are light for me as I work up to a 3rm or a 1rm.

I find I grow best on this.

ProtienFiend said:
I see what you're saying about not being to give it your all after doing a max, but are ANY of your sets really going to be as good as before doing a max - even when doing different exercises (Squat... then quad extending, or flat bench then incline). Your still using the same primary muscle, but with some different secondary muscles when you switch up exercises, thus I feel performance would decline no matter what you're doing after.

And as casualbb was saying, there really is no "angle"... a muscle either contracts or it doesn't. Period.

PF
granted if you squat first you wont be using max weights on leg ex's..but assuming your hitting another rep or slighltly increasing the weight from the previous workout your making progress..i do belive in angles..since ive switched to inclines my upper chest is a lot thicker and fuller..same thing squats vs front squats..at least its that way for me!!

Top Bottom