Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

You thought Bush's military spending was outrageous?

hanselthecaretaker

High End Bro
Platinum
Look what's being spent now on just a new fleet of planes-

F-35 looking more like white elephant

by Mathieu Rabechault – Thu Jan 13, 10:35 am ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The F-35 fighter jet, set to replace a large part of the US warplane fleet, has become the most expensive weapons program ever, drawing increased scrutiny at a time of tight public finances.

Following a series of cost overruns and delays, the program is now expected to cost a whopping 382 billion dollars, for 2,443 aircraft.

The so-called 5th generation fighter was built with features designed to help avoid enemy radar and ensure American supremacy in the skies for decades.

But there is now the potential for competition from China, which this week unveiled its first radar-evading combat aircraft and fueled a sense of a military rivalry between the two powers.

At home, the Lockheed Martin F-35 is getting increased criticism even from some at the Pentagon.

Defense officials say the original cost estimates have now doubled to make each plane's price tag reach some 92 million dollars.

At the same time, the contract awarded in 2001 had been planned to last 10 years, but has been extended to 2016 because of testing and design issues.

Lockheed Martin, which is working with Northrop Grumman and BAE Systems, is developing three versions of the aircraft, which are being designed for ground attack as well as reconnaissance missions.

The F-35A is designed to replace the F-16 and A-10 of the US Air Force, while the F-35C is designed for deployment on aircraft carriers to supplant to F-18, and the F-35B would have a vertical takeoff capacity and replace Harrier aircraft.

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates has warned the cost overruns cannot continue and expressed particular concern over the short take-off and vertical landing variant.

"The culture of endless money that has taken hold must be replaced by a culture of restraint," he said recently.

For the short-takeoff version, Gates has ordered "the equivalent of a two-year probation," adding that "if we cannot fix this variant during this time frame and get it back on track in terms of performance, cost and schedule, then I believe it should be canceled."

As part of a cost-saving drive, the Pentagon chief has decided to delay the purchase of 124 of the 449 units of this version until 2016.

Another bone of contention is a second engine being developed for the fighter by General Electric and Rolls Royce in case the Pratt & Whitney engine is not up to par. Gates contends this second engine is "unneeded."

Private analysts say the whole F-35 program is becoming a money pit.

"The incredibly unfortunate phrase 'too big to fail' applies to this aircraft more than any other defense program," said Richard Aboulafia, an aerospace industry analyst with the Teal Group.

"It's difficult to think of a civil or military program in the past decade that hasn't experienced similar delays and cost overruns."

Still, it may be hard to make many changes to the F-35 program because Britain and seven other countries have been closely involved in its development.

The United States is covering 90 percent of the cost of the development but has participation from Britain, Italy, Turkey, the Netherlands, Canada, Denmark, Norway and Australia.

Other nations, including Israel and Singapore, have signed contracts to buy the plane.

"The US wants a globalized JSF program for a combination of strategic and economic reasons," said Aboulafia.

"It greatly simplifies logistics, training and doctrine for coalition warfighting. Dominating the military aerospace export business is certainly a strong draw, too. It's as much an industrial policy as a fighter."

F-35 looking more like white elephant - Yahoo! News

takes a lot of 5 axis sophisticated thingy's to build a F-35

just sayin'

I'll make one of those sum-bitches in my garage over the weekend. All I need is a little material, a few sharp endmills and a six-pack of budweiser. Then some shit will go down.

I'll make one of those sum-bitches in my garage over the weekend. All I need is a little material, a few sharp endmills and a six-pack of budweiser. Then some shit will go down.

Dont forget to outfit with tactical vibram cluster bombs for carpetbombing nations into gainess

I think I remember reading about the F-22 Raptor being halted of it's production sooner than expected. I'm not too familiar with it, though. The JSF program has been in development for so long I'm not surprised some want it cancelled. Some of it has to do with the fantastic performance the A-10 Warthog has had in Iraq and Afghanistan. The article says JSF is supposed to replace the A-10, but I think we'll still be using them for 20 more years.

I think I remember reading about the F-22 Raptor being halted of it's production sooner than expected. I'm not too familiar with it, though. The JSF program has been in development for so long I'm not surprised some want it cancelled. Some of it has to do with the fantastic performance the A-10 Warthog has had in Iraq and Afghanistan. The article says JSF is supposed to replace the A-10, but I think we'll still be using them for 20 more years.

How Govt contract works:
1) Make connections
2) Do lowest bid to satisfy low bid contracts.
3) Make contracts go over-budget and go on forever.
4) Hire union labour so the unions and blue collar america never bitch.
5) Rinse/Repeat.

Ever wonder why those big dig consturction and 9/11 constructin projects take decades? :)

c

and to follow up with what bakeme said...hopefully its outfitted with missile's my husbands company designs
they get paid to come up with designing, if that design is scrapped, they get paid to design it again..if they finally come up with something they like...they get paid to manufacture it...win for the profit sharing bonus

shirlz buys a new bimmer

....that is all

Dont forget to outfit with tactical vibram cluster bombs for carpetbombing nations into gainess

That's part of my secret plan. We drop vibrams from stealth planes into Afghanistan. Curiosity will force them to try them on. Then they'll realize how gay the shoes are and they'll be forced to kill each other.

Problem solved.

That's part of my secret plan. We drop vibrams from stealth planes into Afghanistan. Curiosity will force them to try them on. Then they'll realize how gay the shoes are and they'll be forced to kill each other.

Problem solved.

72 all natural marijuana plants and a cropless meal plan will await them in the afterlife.

Top Bottom