Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tips?

i thought 5x5 allows you to gain size the fastest? also how are the exercises that i am doing each day. should i add or remove anything? thanks

No. 5x5 is great for building a base. 5 rep sets are geared more toward developing power and strength as opposed to maximum muscle size. It is decent for size, but a rep range of 8-12 will provide maximum hypertrophy. Hypertrophy means muscle growth in terms of actual size or volume. IMO, 5x5 is great for beginning lifters for the first months or so.

Ever see a bodybuilding video? they almost always do more than 5 reps per set. Not that you should copy pro bodybuilders per se.

8-12 reps is the maximum hypertrophic rep range for most people. If you honestly find that a few less reps or even a few more reps per set work best for you in terms of growth, then do that.

You have to try different things to learn what your body responds well too, and what it doesn't respond well too.

I for one, respond very well to 10 rep sets, and do not respond well to extremely heavy sets at low reps in terms of muscle growth. I do get stronger though, which helps me push more weight and increase reps at a heavier weight.

There's a training theory called periodization training, where you train for strength for a 4-6 week period, then train for size for 4-6 weeks. and just alternate every 4-6 weeks between going for strength and going for size. I for one only realy care about size. I don't need to bench 450lbs to be satisfied with my development. I'd rather have a 20" arm that is well defined and developed then bench 500 lbs. I just don't care.

Anyways, on to your workouts.

When you bench do you alternate between using dumbbells and bench press? Diversity is very important to keeping your muscles in a state of adapting to different stimulation. Your body will adapt to a certain type of excercise, and you will not gain anymore (or gain really slowly). You need to switch it up, and keep things fresh.

I have even found that if I ignore flat bench and exert my greatest force on incline at the beginning of a workout, I return to flat bench pressing more weight than before even though the incline weight is lower due to the angle of motion. It' because my body isn't use to it, and it gets stronger in that mode of training, and when I turn back to flat bench, my weight has already increased without even doing
anything with that excercise. Then my flat bench will inrease even more because it isn't used to that anymore, and your body will respond and grow to the increased weight you are pressing.

Some may laugh at the fact I have done incline first instead of flat bench. All I can say is in that 4 weeks where I did inclines first, my upper chest made great improvements, and my flat press increased better than it had the 2 months before. You have to do something new sometimes to get results.

You just continue to build on yourself through diverse ways of training. Listen to your body. If you are not increasing the amount of weight you can lift, or it seems you hit a wall and are not making progress, you need to make changes to your routine so your body experiences something new and different in order to grow and develop. Then, when you return to your previous routine, you'll progress because your body will not be adapted to that mode of excercise any longer. Cycle it through like that.

i usually take a break after 5 weeks of lifting to rest. also if i start to feel like im not progressing i start to use dumbbells instead of barbells or add in different exercises. also are the exercises that i have good? and for which exercises should i use 3 sets and which ones should i use 4? thanks

Last edited:
i usually take a break after 5 weeks of lifting to rest. also if i start to feel like im not progressing i start to use dumbbells instead of barbells or add in different exercises. also are the exercises that i have good? and for which exercises should i use 3 sets and which ones should i use 4? thanks

why take a rest so frequently? there's no need. I haven't taken a rest for 8 months.

You need to determine what you need to do bro. We can give you ideas and direction, but you need to start learning and figuring out what works best for you by your own experience. We can give you ideas and stuff, but you need to tailor your workouts for yourself.

We have given you enough in this thread to get you on your way. Use some initiative and analyzation of yourslf, your progress and your workouts to fill in the gaps.

Your welcome to ask more question of course, but just waiting for someone to write a detailed plan for you is not prudent. Have initiative, and learn how to manage yourself in the gym. It will go a long ways.

thanks yea i've learned a lot from these forums. actually if it wasnt for this forum i would prob still be 5'9" and 120 lbs. i know a good amount of info but i feel more comfortable if i have someone backing up what im doing. also i was told that i should rest every 5 weeks to prevent plateauing. also i fixed the workout and the sets and reps. let me know what you think. like i just want to know that im doing the right thing and not overtraining and that my workout will get me bigger. here it is

Monday-legs
squats (4x10).
leg press (3x10).
leg curls (4x10).
Calf raises (3x12)

tuesday-chest/tri
bench (4x10).
incline (4x10).
flys (3x10). i use a steady weight and i go up fast, flex, and then go down slow
dips (3x12)
Skull crushers (4x10).
tri pull (3x10).

wednesday-back
wide grip pull ups (3x10)
horizontal machine pull (4x10)
wide grip lat pull (4x10)
barbell rows (3x10)

thursday-deadlifts/bis
deadlifts (4x10).
bb curls (4x10)
Standing db curls (3x10)i use a steady weight and i go up fast, flex, and then go down slow

friday-shoulders
shoulder press (4x10)
side dumbbell lateral raises (4x10)
shrugs (4x10)
behind the back shrugs (4x10)

also do you have any suggestions on what i shud do for abs. cuz all im currently doing is crunches. should i add wieghted sit-ups?
thanks

why take a rest so frequently? there's no need. I haven't taken a rest for 8 months.
Actually, a proper deload can be very beneficial. Granted, once every 5 weeks is probably too frequent for a beginner like the OP, but hey, if it keeps him fresh and motivated, there's nothing really wrong with that.

worksux, you keep asking the same questions again and again. If there's something you don't understand, ask for specific clarification, not just repeat what you already asked.

For abs, I don't really like crunches/sit ups. First off, consider why you need ab work. If it's because you have fat on your stomach, diet is the solution. However, if abdominal strength is truly lacking, there are better options than crunches. Janda sit ups are ok if you have a partner. Basic planks are good if core stability is lacking. Ab wheel rollouts are pretty good. I really like L-sits, as they are not an isolated abdominal exercise. Also realize the training effect that comes from exercises like the squat and deadlift. When using any considerable weight, the abs are heavily recruited in these movements. As such, you may find direct ab work unnecessary.

thanks yea i've learned a lot from these forums. actually if it wasnt for this forum i would prob still be 5'9" and 120 lbs. i know a good amount of info but i feel more comfortable if i have someone backing up what im doing. also i was told that i should rest every 5 weeks to prevent plateauing. also i fixed the workout and the sets and reps. let me know what you think. like i just want to know that im doing the right thing and not overtraining and that my workout will get me bigger. here it is

also do you have any suggestions on what i shud do for abs. cuz all im currently doing is crunches. should i add wieghted sit-ups?
thanks

Weighted sit ups are my favorite. crunches don't really put resistence on your abdominals, so how can it grow well without resistence training?

you missed my note. deadlifts should stay at 5X5. deadlifts need to be heavy.

No one can determine for you if you are overtraining just by posting your workout up

A rest is fine, but every 5 weeks is way too frequent. Every 10-12 weeks should be sufficient. You should never plateau within a 3 month period. You barely make solid progress in 5 weeks, just to rest your body and lose some of that strength and lean mass you just worked so hard for.

im sorry for repeating myself in certain areas im just paranoid when it comes to lifting. i just want my workout to be perfect. but yea i just read it ill change the deadlifts back to 5x5. i think my exercises and the sets and reps are good now so im gunna stick with that. for abs im gunna do weighted sit-ups everyday. and i run before i lift so that shud be good enough since im bulking. its a good warm up. i dont think im gunna overtrain becuase i only have about 4 exercises a day and i give it a week before i major in that muscle again. and im hitting all my body parts now so i should be good. and i dont feel like i need a week off i was gunna do it becuase i had it in my mind that i needed to. ill prob rest during thanksgiving break. i just wanna thank everyone for their help. this has really helped me. thanks

thanks, im sorry for repeating myself in certain areas im just paranoid when it comes to lifting. i just want my workout to be perfect. ok im pretty comfortable with my exercises and sets and reps that i have posted so im gunna stick with that. as for cardio i run before i lift so that helps me warm up and get my heart pumping. and for abs im just gunna alternate different exercises each day. im eating correctly so hopefully my abs will get more toned. i just want to thank you all for your help thanks.

Do NOT do cardio before lifting. It needs to be the other way around. If you want to do a 3-5 minute warm-up or something to that effect, that is fine. But cardio before lifting is exactly what what you DON'T want to do. Exhaust your energy on your lifting, and do cardio after you lift. You will build more muscle and lose more fat that way.

And, don't do abs everyday. Every 3-4 days is fine. They need rest too. They get worked some doing deads and squats as well, so...

Ok yea ill do abs Mon, wed, Fri and ill do cardio after I lift on Tues, and thurs. But before I lift everyday I'm gunna jog a quick lap to warm up and stretch

Top Bottom