Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Degenerated Discs

EZ_E

Head Mod
Elite Moderator
So I had an MRI in October; 2 degenerated discs. Doc said "it's nothing to lose sleep over, train smart, strengthen your core, and here's a 30 day Naproxen script."

At the end of the 30 days I felt much better.

BUT since leg training has suffered, squats are OUT with the compression of the bar...and that's any variation of a squat (front, overhead) and yesterday just doing hams (lying & seated curls) ended up having me in discomfort all day.

So I am looking for suggestions on leg training around this issue.

I can relate. Its been over 3 years since injury and my diagnosis. I had to quit squats and deads for some time. leg press, leg curls, & extensions are your best bet.

Slowly work them back in when ready. Don't be afraid to use the smith either. Go easy tho. Personally everytime I get big ego'd and go too heavy? I end up injuring myself again. Not worth it. Good luck bro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using EliteFitness

Well, naproxin is a bad idea because it gets rid of inflammation which in turn hampers healing. It can also give you a false sense of well being due to lack of pain which may think you can get away with movements you shouldnt do.

As you have likely seen me preach before the key is giving the body the nutrients in needs to facilitate repair. High dose vit C, lysine, proline, chondroiten, boron.

Stop causing additional injury so the body can catch up.

Stop inhibiting healing by using ice/anti-inflamatories.

DO continue to exercise and do things that dont cause pain. in addition to the cardiovascular system the lymph system is used to removed damage tissue and thats facilitated by muscle contraction.

Deep tissue massage can help healing as well by promoting blood flow and circulation. Id caution about seeing a chrio unless he is also well versed in PT and massage. Simple chiros think they can fix everything with an adjustment but many joint injuries are due to laxity which cause a sloppy joint and uneven pressure which in the case of the spin causes bulging discs etc. Continually adjusting can just prolong laxity when what you need is the tendons/ligaments to strengthen and bring everything back in line so uneven load/pressure is resolved and the cartiledge/discs can start to heal with proper nutrients.

Lastly you can put healing into high gear with prolotherapy or one of its variants. Learn more about the process here About Prolotherapy - Comprehensive Prolotherapy with the Dr. Hauser Method and find a doc near you here Prolotherapy Physician Listings | Find Prolotherapy Doctors | GetProlo.com

I would see a QUALITY chiropractor in your city bro. don't just listen to 1 doctor, not even sure what kind of doc he is.

any doc who gives you a drug and then springs you loose with 2 disc problems doesn't care about your health!

I've been to more chiropractors than I can count....actually my chiropractor is the one who sent me to this orthopedist..

Well, naproxin is a bad idea because it gets rid of inflammation which in turn hampers healing. It can also give you a false sense of well being due to lack of pain which may think you can get away with movements you shouldnt do.

As you have likely seen me preach before the key is giving the body the nutrients in needs to facilitate repair. High dose vit C, lysine, proline, chondroiten, boron.
Stop causing additional injury so the body can catch up.

Stop inhibiting healing by using ice/anti-inflamatories.

DO continue to exercise and do things that dont cause pain. in addition to the cardiovascular system the lymph system is used to removed damage tissue and thats facilitated by muscle contraction.

Deep tissue massage can help healing as well by promoting blood flow and circulation. Id caution about seeing a chrio unless he is also well versed in PT and massage. Simple chiros think they can fix everything with an adjustment but many joint injuries are due to laxity which cause a sloppy joint and uneven pressure which in the case of the spin causes bulging discs etc. Continually adjusting can just prolong laxity when what you need is the tendons/ligaments to strengthen and bring everything back in line so uneven load/pressure is resolved and the cartiledge/discs can start to heal with proper nutrients.

Lastly you can put healing into high gear with prolotherapy or one of its variants. Learn more about the process here About Prolotherapy - Comprehensive Prolotherapy with the Dr. Hauser Method and find a doc near you here Prolotherapy Physician Listings | Find Prolotherapy Doctors | GetProlo.com

So should I be taking all of these all the time? And I'll check out this link, but y brain is fried right now

ive been going through about the identical problem for 13 years bro... I broke my back in a few places and didn't even know it and its still fractured to this day... Chiropractors are the worst thing you can do... PHYSICAL THERAPISTS that MANIPULATE the back are the one thing that actually worked... You have to find the MANIPULATION THERAPIST...

In terms of legs... I can't even put a bar on my neck because of this... You can do walking lunges instead as a form of squats.... Its the best alternative... You can train legs in other ways bro... I get crazy remarks about my calves because of them and to be honest, all my training on them is running and stairclimbing... Granted, its absorbment amounts but you can do other leg exercises besides squats and things of that sort and still have excellent legs... leg extensions, presses, running in the pool, running in general, stairclimbing, bike, stepping, etc.... these all build your legs...

So should I be taking all of these all the time? And I'll check out this link, but y brain is fried right now

Yes, those elements are crucial to collagen repair and what most people dont realize is that your arteries are primarily collagen based. Especially among athletes arteries take a beating from increased heart rates due to exercise etc.

Lack of the above nutrients is why cardiovascular disease is the nations #1 killer. Its also why you see so many people who are actually healthy suffer from heart attacks etc.

If you search the net long enough you will find many case studies of people who exercise regularly, eat well, dont smoke or drink in excess who just drop dead.

I have 3 degenerated discs in my lower back (22 year old injury) and 1 in my neck that was discovered last May after a wicked concussion fractured a vertebrae.

I still do squats, deads and pretty much anything else I want to do against the Docs advice. I even sent her a letter and photo of me squatting 225 a few years ago. Never thought I'd get there.

What a lot of docs don't understand or won't admit out of fear of litigation is that squats and deads will build your core strength, relieving compression.

I have to be smart. My max is only 350x5 and likely will not get much better. But, IMO, you need the core strength that only squats and deads can provide.

like doctors most chiropractors are garbage.. but the one I see has a whole physical therapy lineup of massage therapy, stretching, muscle strengthening, etc. that's why I said you need a GOOD Chiropractor that will use the entire kitchen sink and not adjust you, send you to a doc for a script and call it a day.

the reason your chiro sent you to the ortho was likely because your insurance company will not cover you to go to him for an extended amount of time unless an ortho signs off.. because insurance companies don't consider chiro's real docs.

lets face it a doctor can do 2 things for you. 1. give you drugs.. 2. surgery. that's all their arsenal is.

and also back when I played football I had physical therapy and it was utter crap, they didn't give a shit about me.. it was a joke, zero results. again we go back to what I said you have to find a GOOD practice.. do some digging online and read reviews and such. it makes a huge difference bro who you go to.

I also was lucky enough to find an ortho that is unbelievably good.. he showed me some stretches to use, told me what my weaknesses were that I had to work on and did NOT write me a script for Oxy or some other shit drug. however keep in mind I had to wait 3 hours just to see him!! so you gotta do some digging when it comes to this stuff.. 95% of doctors suck, you gotta find that 5% that are honest and actually know what they are talking about..

I understand everyone hates chiropractors and I do too, they've always just taken my money with zero results.. but if you find the RIGHT ONE you will kiss his feet.

Top Bottom