Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Thoughts on Gary Taubes no carbs lots of fat diet

Addcd2gains

So my dad went on the Taubes diet a few months ago and dropped 20 lbs. Now, obviously if you don't eat carbs, you will lose weight. As somebody who takes nutrition very serious when working out, I can't help but totally disagree with this. You at least need carbs right before a workout. My dad is convinced that if you eat carbs right before a workout, you don't burn off those carbs. He says (and Taubes says) that ask you do when working out after carbs it's burn the insulin created by ingesting the carbs in the first place, and the carbs will still turn to fat. He is saying basically, you won't burn off the carbs by working out. That you will gain fat no matter what. I have a very hard time believing this.

Thoughts about no carb diets?

If you eat carbs before cardio, do you burn them off during the workout?

So my dad went on the Taubes diet a few months ago and dropped 20 lbs. Now, obviously if you don't eat carbs, you will lose weight. As somebody who takes nutrition very serious when working out, I can't help but totally disagree with this. You at least need carbs right before a workout. My dad is convinced that if you eat carbs right before a workout, you don't burn off those carbs. He says (and Taubes says) that ask you do when working out after carbs it's burn the insulin created by ingesting the carbs in the first place, and the carbs will still turn to fat. He is saying basically, you won't burn off the carbs by working out. That you will gain fat no matter what. I have a very hard time believing this.

Thoughts about no carb diets?
If you eat carbs before cardio, do you burn them off during the workout?

depending on your goals you dont really need carbs before you workout, when i was cutting and did IF i trained in a fasted state and was as strong and focused as ever.
you deplete your glycogen stores and get your body ready for a serious feed pwo.

carbs consumed pre workout will definitely NOT be stored as fat, they cant be.

if you dont have any carbs in your diet your body will utilise your protein intake for fuel

He says (and Taubes says) that ask you do when working out after carbs it's burn the insulin created by ingesting the carbs in the first place, and the carbs will still turn to fat. He is saying basically, you won't burn off the carbs by working out. That you will gain fat no matter what. I have a very hard time believing this.

Not an expert, but basically yes. If you consume carbs, you would have to work out a lot to burn them all. It will depend on how depleted of glycogen are your muscles and liver. Once they are full, any excess of glucose will drive fat accumulation due to higher levels of insulin in the blood (that's its main purpose: prioritize the use of glucose as energy and store any fatty acids in the adipose tissue).

Many people tend to ingest food that add glucose and fructose (sugar) before and after the exercise. Fructose (from sugar) will be converted into fat by the liver, and a good percentage of fats will go straight to the adipose tissue as long as glucose is present. So if getting ripped is what you are after, ingesting carbohydrates does not necessarily means that you are not going to get there, but you are going to be rowing against the tide. That's my basic understanding of it, but better read Gary Tabubes' book and take your own conclusions.

depending on your goals you dont really need carbs before you workout, when i was cutting and did IF i trained in a fasted state and was as strong and focused as ever.
you deplete your glycogen stores and get your body ready for a serious feed pwo.

carbs consumed pre workout will definitely NOT be stored as fat, they cant be.

if you dont have any carbs in your diet your body will utilise your protein intake for fuel

Thanks, that clarified some stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using EliteFitness

I've done keto & dropped fat. "Working out" how? This is a subjective term.

Is it anabolic? Prob not.

Nutrition timing is irrelevant unless you're an endurance trainee.

Calorie count is what matters the most.

The amount of carbs/fats your body will responds best to varies from someone to another.

Conclusion: play around with your carb and fat intake and find which one you respond best to, whether that is high carb, keto diet or whatever.

^^ This. I too have been training in a fasted state and my performance has not suffered at all. Even while on a 1000 cal / day deficit and lower carbs than I have ever had in my diet ever.

Lets not forget it will also use body fat if available.

Nutrition timing is irrelevant unless you're an endurance trainee.

Calorie count is what matters the most.

The amount of carbs/fats your body will responds best to varies from someone to another.

Conclusion: play around with your carb and fat intake and find which one you respond best to, whether that is high carb, keto diet or whatever.

Agree. High carb, low carb, high fat, no fat etc etc is all personal preference.
If you want to cut the fat, you need to be in a calorie deficit.

Top Bottom